RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,549
Posts: 5,513,500
Members: 25,144
Currently online: 548
Newest member: A.E.Andres

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old May 25 2013, 12:11 AM   #46
Danny99
Vice Admiral
 
Danny99's Avatar
 
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
Danny99 wrote: View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423778

Vigneault was never a strong coach and he just seemed to be belligerent in interviews.
Seem he failed to light a fire under the teams asses when it counted.
I suspect Gillis will be gone by Dec. if the team fails to perform.



Danny99 wrote: View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

And the worst kept secret in the NHL is now confirmed: Patrick Roy is the new coach and VP of the Avalanche.

This is either going to be the best or worst decision in recent memory.
Another reason to keep my intense dislike for the AV's .

IF he coaches them like he did his kids team they'll be in the sin bin a whole lot.
Roy was one of the most arrogant players I saw play the game
Gillis backed himself into a corner with Luongo. The longer he waits, the more of a distraction it is and the less he gets back.
__________________
The poster previously known as canadaboy_32
Danny99 is offline  
Old May 29 2013, 05:37 AM   #47
Grumpy Grinch
Rear Admiral
 
Grumpy Grinch's Avatar
 
Location: Gil T.Azell
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

Danny99 wrote: View Post
....

Gillis backed himself into a corner with Luongo. The longer he waits, the more of a distraction it is and the less he gets back.
Agreed, and the early potential list of Replacement Coaches name I've heard don't sound promising
__________________
That awkward moment when you're about to hug someone exstreamly sexy, and then you hit the mirror
Grumpy Grinch is offline  
Old May 30 2013, 03:46 AM   #48
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

You see, the game-winning goal in Hawks / Red Wings cannot count because the referee intended to call the most piddling dogdick awful shit call in history. Thank you.

Fucking Christ, what a terrible call.
Timby is offline  
Old May 30 2013, 03:51 AM   #49
Kevin W.
Commander
 
Kevin W.'s Avatar
 
Location: California
Send a message via AIM to Kevin W.
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

Timby wrote: View Post
You see, the game-winning goal in Hawks / Red Wings cannot count because the referee intended to call the most piddling dogdick awful shit call in history. Thank you.

Fucking Christ, what a terrible call.
That was the same ref who did nothing when Torres leveled Hossa last year.
__________________
Ari Gold: "We're gonna get drunk with Russell Crowe and we're gonna head-butt some goddamn kangaroos."
Kevin W. is offline  
Old May 30 2013, 03:56 AM   #50
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

Kevin W. wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
You see, the game-winning goal in Hawks / Red Wings cannot count because the referee intended to call the most piddling dogdick awful shit call in history. Thank you.

Fucking Christ, what a terrible call.
That was the same ref who did nothing when Torres leveled Hossa last year.
... this explains everything
Timby is offline  
Old May 30 2013, 05:31 AM   #51
Sheep
Vice Admiral
 
Sheep's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

Danny99 wrote: View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423778

Vigneault was never a strong coach and he just seemed to be belligerent in interviews.
I don't follow the Canucks closely but I was keeping tabs on and occasionally tuning in during their series against the Sharks. At one point I texted my friend about what monkey pounding on a keyboard was coaching the Canucks and why would he pull Luongo and put in Schneider when Luongo wasn't anything resembling the problem. Sure enough, Schneider and his mystery injury allowed a bunch of goals and that was that. Luongo might well suck balls but he sure wasn't to blame for the the Canucks' woes in that series.

As for that waved off goal in the Wings/Hawks game, yeah that was a bigass pile of ref bullshit right there. All I can say is thank goodness Howard didn't continue playing balls to the wall like he did for the better part of three consecutive games, stopping all but 2 shots out of almost 90 attempts at one point. If the defense hadn't completely hung him out to dry in the first game and given up a bajillion Hawks shots, this series could have turned out very differently.
__________________
Hating the anti-intellectual movement since before it was actually a movement.
Sheep is offline  
Old May 30 2013, 05:51 AM   #52
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

Sheep wrote: View Post
All I can say is thank goodness Howard didn't continue playing balls to the wall like he did for the better part of three consecutive games, stopping all but 2 shots out of almost 90 attempts at one point. If the defense hadn't completely hung him out to dry in the first game and given up a bajillion Hawks shots, this series could have turned out very differently.
I think the Blackhawks are going to have a very rough time with the Kings. Detroit succeeded when they had a heavy, aggressive forecheck going and were basically crashing the net; Los Angeles is going to do that, and they're going to do so with more firepower and a deeper roster. I also don't see LA's defense being as erratic and inconsistent as Detroit's guys were; the Red Wings had some serious mental lapses in the last few games (like that long change that led to the goal early in the 2nd tonight), and the Blackhawks' D is prone to falling asleep at points. I really don't see the Hawks matching up well against the Kings.

I'm also not convinced that the Blackhawks can take another 7-game series. They looked tired tonight. Yeah, they were aggressive and played well for the most part, but there was a lot of ugly frustration clearly evident out there.
Timby is offline  
Old May 30 2013, 05:23 PM   #53
Sheep
Vice Admiral
 
Sheep's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

The Kings also played an entire 7 game series with the Sharks that ended Tuesday so they're not exactly well-rested either. I'm fairly certain that brutal first stretch of games this Saturday and Sunday in Chicago and next Tuesday in Los Angeles is going to take its toll on both teams.

The Kings are a much better team than the Wings but they're far from invincible considering the Sharks managed to take them to 7 games. As long as the Hawks don't have any extended lapses like they did in the middle games of the Wings series, we should see some good hockey games which is all I ask for.
__________________
Hating the anti-intellectual movement since before it was actually a movement.
Sheep is offline  
Old June 4 2013, 12:16 AM   #54
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

Well, that was definitely the game that Crawford needed after Detroit very clearly got in his head.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the series return to Chicago at 2 - 2, though. The Kings are near-unbeatable at Staples; with a home record of 19 - 4 - 1 (and they haven't lost once at Staples in the postseason), it's like they're a totally different team there.
Timby is offline  
Old June 4 2013, 12:35 AM   #55
Kevin W.
Commander
 
Kevin W.'s Avatar
 
Location: California
Send a message via AIM to Kevin W.
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

Timby wrote: View Post
Well, that was definitely the game that Crawford needed after Detroit very clearly got in his head.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the series return to Chicago at 2 - 2, though. The Kings are near-unbeatable at Staples; with a home record of 19 - 4 - 1 (and they haven't lost once at Staples in the postseason), it's like they're a totally different team there.
The Blackhawks are miles ahead of the Blues and Sharks. I'll be surprised if the Kings take both games in LA. They looked downright flat in Chicago.
__________________
Ari Gold: "We're gonna get drunk with Russell Crowe and we're gonna head-butt some goddamn kangaroos."
Kevin W. is offline  
Old June 8 2013, 05:28 AM   #56
Sheep
Vice Admiral
 
Sheep's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

Damn. The Bruins beat down the Penguins like they had a vendetta. The Penguins scoring two goals in four games is utterly pathetic. I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes coming to Pittsburgh as early as next week, starting at the top with a new coach. Can't have that much talent and perform so miserably repeatedly.
__________________
Hating the anti-intellectual movement since before it was actually a movement.
Sheep is offline  
Old June 8 2013, 06:38 AM   #57
Kevin W.
Commander
 
Kevin W.'s Avatar
 
Location: California
Send a message via AIM to Kevin W.
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

Kevin W. wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Well, that was definitely the game that Crawford needed after Detroit very clearly got in his head.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the series return to Chicago at 2 - 2, though. The Kings are near-unbeatable at Staples; with a home record of 19 - 4 - 1 (and they haven't lost once at Staples in the postseason), it's like they're a totally different team there.
The Blackhawks are miles ahead of the Blues and Sharks. I'll be surprised if the Kings take both games in LA. They looked downright flat in Chicago.
So glad I turned out to be right. I can't wait for tomorrow night.
__________________
Ari Gold: "We're gonna get drunk with Russell Crowe and we're gonna head-butt some goddamn kangaroos."
Kevin W. is offline  
Old June 10 2013, 06:41 PM   #58
Sheep
Vice Admiral
 
Sheep's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

That 2OT epic on Saturday night damn near gave me several heart attacks!

Soooooo looking forward to Wednesday. The offensive-focused Hawks against the defensive-focused Bruins should provide a hell of an entertaining series--guessing we're going to see lots of low scoring games. A lot of people think Boston has the advantage with their defense but that was also the case with Detroit and Los Angeles, not to take anything away from Boston. I'd also argue the Hawks have had the harder playoff schedule so far so as far as I'm concerned this series is a complete coin toss.

I'd be very surprised if this one didn't go the full 7 so I'll have my defibrillator ready to go.
__________________
Hating the anti-intellectual movement since before it was actually a movement.
Sheep is offline  
Old June 10 2013, 06:52 PM   #59
Kevin W.
Commander
 
Kevin W.'s Avatar
 
Location: California
Send a message via AIM to Kevin W.
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

Chicago was able to beat Jonathan Quick. Tuukka Rask is good but he's not invincible. Boston will have a fight on their hands.
__________________
Ari Gold: "We're gonna get drunk with Russell Crowe and we're gonna head-butt some goddamn kangaroos."
Kevin W. is offline  
Old June 11 2013, 03:18 AM   #60
Danny99
Vice Admiral
 
Danny99's Avatar
 
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada
Re: NHL 1st Round 2013 playoffs

I love Sidney's quote of saying "We weren't shut down". Uh yea Sidney, you weren't shut down, you were smacked down. Maybe you didn't whine enough.
__________________
The poster previously known as canadaboy_32
Danny99 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.