Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 30 2013, 01:23 AM   #61
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Re: New Arrested Development! (SPOILERS)

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
This doesn't depend on it. I had as many laughs in this season as any other. I haven't rewatched any.
I don't understand it, either. While the format was different from previous seasons, the writing was pretty much spot on. It just told the story differently. As with previous seasons, the best bits are actually all of the meta/background stuff.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 02:56 AM   #62
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Just finished it. Wow, that was a really limp, anticlimactic ending (granted, the season 3 finale wasn't the best either.)

Worst episode: "Borderline Personalities" (the first George Sr. one)
Best episode: "Colony Collapse" (the first Gob one)

I think my favorite running gag was the parmesan/mustard. So yet so
Old May 30 2013, 03:10 AM   #63
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
I still like the SceneStealer Pro gag, myself. Especially how

I also liked how they threw in a lot from the previous seasons, such as the Richter brothers, Warden Gentiles, the double-entendre (of the bad kind) doctor, Gene Parmesean, Motherboy, the dead dove in the freezer, etc. Also, it was a nice touch that George Michael mentioned Rebel Alley being in Les Cousins Dangereux.

Biggest disappointment (unless I missed it)--NO BANANA STAND!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 06:36 AM   #64
tighr
Commodore

shivkala wrote: View Post
Biggest disappointment (unless I missed it)--NO BANANA STAND!
No banana stand, but in all the scenes set after the Cinco party, Michael is wearing a banana stand shirt. Something happened between when we last saw him and when he's telling GOB that he made a huge mistake, because he changed clothes.
Old May 30 2013, 07:07 AM   #65
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

There's always money in the banana stand.
Old May 30 2013, 08:27 AM   #66
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

The biggest thing people need to remember is that, much like the three seasons before it, season four is best when viewed, then viewed again. Perhaps more so, if only for the sheer number of sight gags, in-jokes, intertextual references, and callback jokes/references. There is just no way you can appreciate them on first viewing because you just don't know about them yet.
Old May 30 2013, 08:29 AM   #67
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

The other thing people need to remember is how poor season 3 was. All this "It's not as good as the first three" no, it's a damn sight better than season 3.
Old May 30 2013, 10:06 AM   #68
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Eh. I've never had much of a problem with season 3, truncated though it may have been. I even liked the Rita/Wee Britain stuff
Old May 30 2013, 10:12 AM   #69
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Don't get me wrong, poor Arrested Development was still funny, possibly being an actual Brit the crappy accents and stupid stereotypes grated a bit more than for Americans but 3 is by far the worst of the 4.

Also, the 3 Houses of Parliament thing, was that a joke or did they just cock it up?
Old May 30 2013, 02:59 PM   #70
Pingfah
Admiral

2/3 through. Enjoying it, some really gut-bustingly funny moments so far.

Thank goodness they released it all on one day. No way could I have kept up with this one week at a time.
Old May 30 2013, 03:01 PM   #71
tighr
Commodore

Also, the 3 Houses of Parliament thing, was that a joke or did they just cock it up?
That's part of the joke. You can't trust everything Ron Howard says. British Parliament has 2 houses. It's the American Congress that has 3 houses.

Old May 30 2013, 03:09 PM   #72
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

tighr wrote: View Post
That's part of the joke. You can't trust everything Ron Howard says. British Parliament has 2 houses. It's the American Congress that has 3 houses.

I know it does. That's what I've been trying to work out since they said it, was it a joke that the narrator and George Michael are in on or was it just a scripting error. I got that, of course, Rita is wrong about it, but Ron Howard and George Michael both saying "it's 3" made me wonder if they actually thought it was three.

Though it's good writing that has a joke in there that makes you question yourself over something you think you know because rather than thinking "That's a joke" I thought "There's 3? What's the third? ... No, there's only 2."
Old May 30 2013, 10:06 PM   #73
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I am still not convinced season four "failed," but this article is the first to even come close to explaining why it might have that makes any sense to me:

http://www.scriptmag.com/features/cr...ed-development
Old May 30 2013, 10:57 PM   #74
tighr
Commodore

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I am still not convinced season four "failed," but this article is the first to even come close to explaining why it might have that makes any sense to me:

I was willing to subscribe to his criticisms until I reached the following paragraph:

The key with any sequel, whether it’s The Godfather II, The Hangover II, or Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom, is to think about the promise the original made to the audience, and to deliver on that same promise, in a slightly different way.
All three of those movies (with the possible exception of The Godfather Part II...) don't come close to comparison with the original films. Especially in the case of Hangover Part II and IJ: Temple of Doom, when both of those films are barely shadows of the great films that preceded them.

And, on top of that, I provide counterpoint: Aliens. A film that completely upends the "engine" of its predecessor, and ends up being the superior film. (I note that this is a contentious opinion, however).
Old May 30 2013, 11:16 PM   #75
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

That article does make a lot of sense, and I agree with all of it. The new season is still good, but it is different, not just because time has gone by or the plots are new or the actors have aged, but because it feels like it has a different purpose.

I think that when it comes to dramas, stepping outside of predictability and allowing the characters to grow and change is more acceptable, but when it comes to comedy that just isn’t as satisfying. I don’t want to see Michael’s internal moral struggles. Or Gob’s, or George Michael’s, or Buster’s, or Lindsay’s. It’s a real turn off actually, for a comedy. I want to see their outward moral struggles with the rest of their family. And when the rest of the cast can’t be there, or are only there in bits and pieces, we don’t get that. I think the show really only truly succeeds as an ensemble.

The new season is like an entirely different show. It seems that without his family around him, Michael has devolved into his own selfishness and moral bankruptcy. This is the complete opposite of who we were originally led to believe this character was. From the first three seasons, there was always the sense that Michael would be a better person living a happier life if only he could get away from his family, but that he stuck around out of familial loyalty. I really believe that was at the heart of the show – you felt bad for this guy who would never be able to get away, no matter how many times he tried to escape (much like the Gilligan’s Island analogy)! He was just too good of a guy to leave his family hanging, even though they were self-absorbed pricks.

They “changed the rules” with this new season, and with it the premise. He did leave his family, they all left each other, and now we find out Michael is a selfish prick just like the rest of them when his family is not around? Well that’s depressing. It’s certainly not funny. And it’s not the original premise. Before, when Michael made selfish choices it was because being around his family had a bad influence on him, not because he was an inherently selfish person. After watching this new season I kind of hate them all. Sitcom characters should not undergo such drastic changes. The situations around them should change but the characters themselves just being who they have always been is what makes the show satisfying!
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote