Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 29 2013, 07:00 PM   #6076
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I don't need them to try for an exact match. Heck, I liked Lois in Smallville (most of the time) and she doesn't look like a traditional Lois. My problem with MoS Lois (well, the biggest one) is that she's extremely bland and not memorable. I could see myself watching the movie and then just forgetting who she is if they don't keep constantly calling her name.

I mean, in a perfect world, comic book movie actors would look like the comic book counterparts all the time. I'm watching a movie based off a franchise I like, I'm not there to see them pull out some random actress, call her "Lois" and then just have to accept that this random woman is the character I'm used to. If you're not going to use the characters normal liknesses/personalities, or close to it, why bother to use them at all? Its like casting Patton Oswalt as Thor or Christopher Walken as Captain America. No one in their right mind would do that, because its just stupid. MoS Lois isn't that bad, but she is bland and forgettable. Still, I don't need characters to be exact. I was fine with black Heimdall in Thor and stuff likie that, but you should be able to identify a major character on sight, and the actress for Lois is just too bland for that.

That said, a forgettable Lois is a very small problem in a movie that looks to be full of them. I just mentioned it because I started noticing it.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 07:08 PM   #6077
jadcox@mindspring.com
Commodore

View jadcox@mindspring.com's Twitter Profile

I'd still really, really like to see just one shot of Clark Kent in the glasses. I'd prefer to see the shirt open with the S showing, but I'll settle for the glasses.
jadcox@mindspring.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 07:52 PM   #6078
davejames
Vice Admiral

Wow, yet another trailer. They're really cranking these out.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 07:53 PM   #6079
Gojira
Commodore

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I don't need them to try for an exact match. Heck, I liked Lois in Smallville (most of the time) and she doesn't look like a traditional Lois. My problem with MoS Lois (well, the biggest one) is that she's extremely bland and not memorable. I could see myself watching the movie and then just forgetting who she is if they don't keep constantly calling her name.

I mean, in a perfect world, comic book movie actors would look like the comic book counterparts all the time. I'm watching a movie based off a franchise I like, I'm not there to see them pull out some random actress, call her "Lois" and then just have to accept that this random woman is the character I'm used to. If you're not going to use the characters normal liknesses/personalities, or close to it, why bother to use them at all? Its like casting Patton Oswalt as Thor or Christopher Walken as Captain America. No one in their right mind would do that, because its just stupid. MoS Lois isn't that bad, but she is bland and forgettable. Still, I don't need characters to be exact. I was fine with black Heimdall in Thor and stuff likie that, but you should be able to identify a major character on sight, and the actress for Lois is just too bland for that.

That said, a forgettable Lois is a very small problem in a movie that looks to be full of them. I just mentioned it because I started noticing it.
It just makes no sense to judge Amy Adams as a bland Lois based on what we have seen. You haven't seen the movie yet and there is no way you can judge her unless you have a preconcived notion to judge and hate the movie before even seeing it, which you have demonstrated that that is the case for you.
Old May 29 2013, 07:54 PM   #6080
RoJoHen
Awesome

How dare anyone describe Amy Adams as bland!
Old May 29 2013, 08:20 PM   #6081
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
How dare anyone describe Amy Adams as bland!
Yeah, them's fightin' words. Speaking of which:

Old May 29 2013, 09:29 PM   #6082
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I've said it in this thread before, but it seems that it must be said again... Amy Adams is HOT!
Old May 29 2013, 10:23 PM   #6083
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Adams is great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpE8CdH6fdE

She's fantastic in The Master as well - the franchise is lucky to have such a great and talented actress for the role.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 10:50 PM   #6084
Gojira
Commodore

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I've said it in this thread before, but it seems that it must be said again... Amy Adams is HOT!
I am pretty sure, based on looks alone, she will be my favorite Lois.
Old May 29 2013, 11:29 PM   #6085
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Gojira wrote: View Post

It just makes no sense to judge Amy Adams as a bland Lois based on what we have seen. You haven't seen the movie yet and there is no way you can judge her unless you have a preconcived notion to judge and hate the movie before even seeing it, which you have demonstrated that that is the case for you.
Oh, I already have a lot of hate for the movie, I've never tried to deny it. But, as for Adams, I was talking about her being bland from just a physical perspective. I'm not making any judgements about attractiveness (although I don't find her particularly attractive) but she just looks bland, like she'll fade into the background (she's also 38, and definately looks it, but as long as she's not obviously ancient its not a big deal, although I wouldn't think Lois would be almost 40 when superman first appears ).

I don't know how good she'll be with acting (looking at wikipedia, she was apparently in single episodes of Buffy and Smallville I must have seen, but I don't remember her, and I've never seen any of the movies she's been in) but honestly, like with Henry Cavill, I have no real expectations anyway when it comes to their acting. Both could be ok, both could be horrible. I'm not going to say they should have hired more famous actors for the movie, since famous definately does not always equal good, but neither seemed to have done much I'm interested in so its hard to say how they'll be. If she turns out to be very good, she could be memorable (although there is still the script to contend with). I'm just saying, just from looking at her, she looks like a very bland Lois. Its a totally superficial observation, and very far down the list of this movie's potential problems, its just something that I had started to notice after watching more of the trailers and TV spots.
Old May 29 2013, 11:51 PM   #6086
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

90 second score samples.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=104872

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 11:58 PM   #6087
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Amy Adams looks a hell of a lot better than 'ole snaggle tooth that they got to play Mary Jane Watson.
Old May 29 2013, 11:59 PM   #6088
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

The more I see the better it looks. Super stoked for this.
Old May 30 2013, 12:05 AM   #6089
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Amy Adams looks a hell of a lot better than 'ole snaggle tooth that they got to play Mary Jane Watson.
I don't know, I think Kirsten Dunst is attractive. Not the most attractive actress by any stretch, but decent and she is definately better looking than Amy Adams. Still, talking about this is especially pointless because who people find attractive is even more diverse than what movies people like, and even more a matter of opinion. Besides, I don't care if Lois is attractive if she's played well (and the Lois's in the first 4 Superman movies weren't women I'd call attractive, either).
Old May 30 2013, 12:11 AM   #6090
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Amy Adams, bland? That is an OUTRAGEOUS statement. Go, Amy, Go!
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote