Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old May 27 2013, 07:25 PM   #256
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
I'm just going to go ahead and declare that inside-the-park walk-off dingers are The Best Dingers.

All who challenge this will be banned.
So what would happen if an inside-the-park walk-off dinger was witnessed by the Dinger Machine?
Imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Old May 27 2013, 07:42 PM   #257
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I'm just going to go ahead and declare that inside-the-park walk-off dingers are The Best Dingers.

All who challenge this will be banned.
So what would happen if an inside-the-park walk-off dinger was witnessed by the Dinger Machine?
Imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old May 28 2013, 09:45 PM   #258
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Word of advice to Keith Hernandez: Referring to a broken bat as a "dead soldier" is a bad move on ANY day, especially Memorial Day.

Old May 28 2013, 09:55 PM   #259
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

As a Mets fan, I never liked Keith as a Mets player. However I HATE him as an announcer. He is just awful, usually can put together a cogent sentence. He uses a monitor and still gets simple things wrong, ALL THE TIME. I'm a very happy viewer when its just Gary and Ron in the booth. It why I often just listen to the game via my iPad, listening to the radio guys.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old May 28 2013, 09:57 PM   #260
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Normally I think Keith is a pretty good color guy. And he has awesome comic chemistry with Gary (some of their banter in the booth is absolutely hilarious).

But this "dead soldier" remark is going to bite him in the ass, as well it should. Not only is it a pretty fucked-up thing to say in general, there's more: 1) He said it on Memorial Day, and 2) Keith's own father was a soldier (in World War II)!

And while we're on the subject of dickish moves by announcers: Anyone who listened to the Indians/Reds game the other night knows that the Indians radio guy really needs to lighten the fuck up. Sure, Chapman threw at Swisher's head, possibly even intentionally (the first one was WAY over Swish's head, the second one came thisclose), but the Indians announcer sounded like he was gonna burst a blood vessel...

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; May 28 2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old May 29 2013, 04:16 AM   #261
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Normally I think Keith is a pretty good color guy. And he has awesome comic chemistry with Gary (some of their banter in the booth is absolutely hilarious).

But this "dead soldier" remark is going to bite him in the ass, as well it should. Not only is it a pretty fucked-up thing to say in general, there's more: 1) He said it on Memorial Day, and 2) Keith's own father was a soldier (in World War II)!

And while we're on the subject of dickish moves by announcers: Anyone who listened to the Indians/Reds game the other night knows that the Indians radio guy really needs to lighten the fuck up. Sure, Chapman threw at Swisher's head, possibly even intentionally (the first one was WAY over Swish's head, the second one came thisclose), but the Indians announcer sounded like he was gonna burst a blood vessel...
I disagree with you about Keith being a good color guy, no biggie. I wish the Mets would start shying away from the 86 Mets. It's a smoke screen to diffuse people from seeing the real issues with the Mets.

I just can't stand Tajada any more. Another error tonight, picked off second base and then not even diving to try and keep the ball in the infield.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old May 29 2013, 04:31 AM   #262
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

People will live.

Throwing at someone's head is an inexcusable act, no matter what.
Old May 29 2013, 02:11 PM   #263
Use of Time
Commodore

I'm enjoying the series with the Jays. I've got some theories why this team is underperforming and most of it stems from bad pitching, especially in the middle of the pen. They have some guys that I think could lock down the 8th and 9th but they have trouble getting there sometimes. The Jays can slug with anybody though which will keep them around for awhile.
Old May 29 2013, 08:33 PM   #264
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Cubs' Fujikawa to have Tommy John surgery, out for year & possibly some of 2014.

Story

god dammit
Old May 29 2013, 09:30 PM   #265
R. Star
Rear Admiral

If you're intentionally trying to bean their head, I'll agree. If you're throwing up and in to get them off the plate because they're crowding it, that's completely justifiable.
Old May 29 2013, 10:55 PM   #266
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

R. Star wrote: View Post
If you're intentionally trying to bean their head, I'll agree. If you're throwing up and in to get them off the plate because they're crowding it, that's completely justifiable.
I don't think it's justifiable to even intentionally create a risk of hitting someone's head. If he was trying to get him to back off the plate by throwing near his head and actually hit his head, you would find that to be ok?

I generally don't have a problem with players pegging other players, but I do have a problem with them doing it in the head.
Old May 29 2013, 11:58 PM   #267
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Then they shouldn't crowd the plate. Sure it shrinks down the strike zone a lot. But you're also exposing yourself a lot more. You have no cause to complain about getting pitched inside if you're doing that.

Sure it's terrible that people get hit in the head, accidents happen, sometimes a ball gets away. It's part of the risk of the game, just as much as it is getting hit by a sharp line drive. I would say it's very rarely that someone intentionally goes out there with the attitude "I'm going to bean him in the head."
Old May 30 2013, 12:06 AM   #268
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Cubs' Fujikawa to have Tommy John surgery, out for year & possibly some of 2014.

Story

god dammit
And Arodys Vizcaino, once considered one of the best pitchers in the Braves' system and who was the centerpiece of the deal that sent Paul Maholm there, has had surgery to remove a calcium deposit in his elbow, and he's out for the season, after not pitching at all in 2012 due to Tommy John.

The Cubs will never develop a good pitcher.
Old May 30 2013, 02:11 AM   #269
Use of Time
Commodore

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
I don't think it's justifiable to even intentionally create a risk of hitting someone's head. If he was trying to get him to back off the plate by throwing near his head and actually hit his head, you would find that to be ok?

I generally don't have a problem with players pegging other players, but I do have a problem with them doing it in the head.
Would I find it justifiable to pitch inside to a player crowding the plate? Yes and so would just about any coach under the sun from high school up to the show. I'm with you about not aiming for the head but if you are saying to avoid pitching inside to completely erase the possibility of a head shot then you would probably not make it out of high school as a pitcher. Its extremely rare that a pitcher ever deliberately aims for the head so I find this concern somewhat unwarranted.
Old May 30 2013, 03:21 AM   #270
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Its extremely rare that a pitcher ever deliberately aims for the head so I find this concern somewhat unwarranted.
I'm not entirely sure I buy into this idea 100 percent. The "unwritten rules" of baseball are complete and utter bullshit, yet there are a lot of man-children in MLB. (Carlos Quentin being a great example, despite not being a pitcher.) Hell, Kerry Wood, one of my favorite Cubs of all time, loved throwing at people, and especially above the shoulders.

I'll never forget being horrified by my high school pitching coach. During one pitching staff meeting, he showed us the whole "They pull a knife? You pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue" bit from The Untouchables, and told us that we'd run flagpoles (we used the scrimmage football field as our "practice" field; we had to run between the field goal posts multiple times if our performance in a game or our practice wasn't quite up to par) if we didn't plunk someone hard if one of our batters got hit. That's bullshit, and it's a dangerous trait to be instilling in young players, but I really doubt Coach Lou was / is the only person espousing this behavior.
Closed Thread