New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 29 2013, 04:33 AM   #166
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Why did they bother...

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
So, if Jack Black....yes that Jack Black--as is--slipped on the pointed ears, delivered his lines in a monotone voice and sported the haircut, he would be Spock, just as much as Nimoy?
Please don't give the producers any ideas....
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 05:18 AM   #167
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

Captain Nebula wrote: View Post
Why did they bother with the original Trek crew in these new movies? They could have easily created a new crew. There are only a couple of characters that act like their original counterpart from the original TV series. Spock stayed away from Christine Chapel in the original because he thought it was inappropriate. But this new Spock is all over Uhura. Kirk is promoted from "Cadet who is about to get expelled" to First Officer - completely bypassing Kirk ever serving on the Farragut. Karl Urban's got the McCoy-isms down pretty good. But Scotty is just a guy with an accent - even though Simon Pegg is pretty funny. So is Chekov - just an accent. And it's almost racist that they got a Chinese actor to play the part that a Japanese actor played on the TV show. Did I miss anybody?

They could have at least had Pine do a Shatner imitation.

I guess if it brings in the big bucks at the theater...

/rant

Any thoughts?
Because without Kirk, Spock, McCoy, the Enterprise, etc. it's not "Star Trek."

Part of the allure is it's the original characters, even if they are different.

A whole new crew thrown in a movie with the name "Star Trek" wouldn't get financed, because no one would want to take such a gamble.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 06:35 AM   #168
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Side note: I don't think that's supposed to be Elmer Fudd. The cartoon All This and Rabbit Stew featuring that character was released in September 1941, after Elmer Fudd made his official debut in 1940 in Elmer's Candid Camera.

A Fudd-like character called Egghead had been introduced by Tex Avery as early as 1937, voiced by Danny Webb and later Arthur Q. Bryan. Many historians believe it was this character that evolved into Elmer Fudd, as both Egghead and Fudd were voiced by Bryan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Da...nd_Egghead.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ElmersCamera.jpg
You're correct and sj4iy is utterly, completely wrong.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 07:31 AM   #169
sj4iy
Commander

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I think Zachary Quinto is a good actor, but just having pointed ears, funny hair, and a monotone voice doesn't make him Spock.
Yes it does.

Spock is the "Vulcan science officer of the Starship Enterprise." Anything beyond that is subject to interpretation.
So, if Jack Black....yes that Jack Black--as is--slipped on the pointed ears, delivered his lines in a monotone voice and sported the haircut, he would be Spock, just as much as Nimoy?
Does James Bond have to have dark hair and speak with a Scottish accent? They've remade Bond 6 times now and the only things they keep the same are the names. Dr. Who has has 12 actors play the same (but different) character. Both are incredibly successful franchises that have lasted just as long as Star Trek, with their ups and downs. But why can people accept them when they are far from the originals? Because they are tailored for their respective generations. The original Dr. Who would never fly today as it did in the 60s (Star Trek ISN'T the only groundbreaking sci fi show from the 60s). Same with Bond. The stories are updated and the characters more accessible to the new generations. People who prefer one iteration to others, they always do- old or young. I was born in the 80's and Connery will always be the best Bond to me. But I like Matt Smith's Doctor the best. No rhyme or reason, I just like those the best. And I prefer this version of Star Trek to the original series. Some people like both in different ways. There is no right or wrong answer- it's all about the individual.
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 10:19 AM   #170
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

I think everyone is forgetting this is supposed to be a different reality from TOS, so why the nitpicking?
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 11:51 AM   #171
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Depends. Is he listed as "spock" in the credits ?

Not even close. Spock would never have a relationship with his subordinate. He would have thought it inappropriate.
I'm glad to see that you know his thoughts so well.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 01:58 PM   #172
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
Depends. Is he listed as "spock" in the credits ?

Not even close. Spock would never have a relationship with his subordinate. He would have thought it inappropriate.
I'm glad to see that you know his thoughts so well.
Yeah, I don't recall that issue ever coming up on the original show. I suppose you could argue that he rejected Chapel's advances, but that was never framed as a matter of professional ethics, just a bad case of unrequited love on Chapel's part.
Old May 29 2013, 02:35 PM   #173
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
This is an icon:

Those are four distinctly different faces presumably from four different actors/models. Yet show any one those pictures to anyone, anywhere and he or she is going to immediately know who it is.

The second is probably the most ubiquitously familiar; that does not make him the most iconic.
And here's what he probably would have really looked like, if he existed at all:

*bites tongue not to compare Khan to Jesus*
Old May 29 2013, 03:06 PM   #174
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Quinto is Spock now, and Pine is Kirk. When they aren't any more, two other actors will be. Shatner and Nimoy never will be, again, except for the possible odd homage or TV commercial. Sooner or later neither will be anything at all, and the same is true for all their fans. This is the way life works.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 03:07 PM   #175
Alex1939
Captain

So profound!
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 03:26 PM   #176
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

trevanian wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
YARN wrote: View Post

What you say here, of course, is perfectly reasonable. Ad Hominem attacks are, generally, bad form in argument. You have successfully identified and warned about the use of an informal fallacy.

No, we don't have to call this "ad hominem," but this is the appropriate label. Sure would be odd for someone to outlaw using this term. It would almost seem like an attack on reason itself to outlaw reference to words which point out common errors in reasoning, wouldn't it?
You're lecturing again.
Something wrong with his asking for clarification?

This is at least the second poster in the last week that you seem to have gone after -- and yes, I'm using that phrase very deliberately this time, after our PMs on the last one -- when they're really only guilty of being articulate while stating a position that goes against the popular view.

All the while allowing to pass w/o comment most of the snipes and unsupported declarations of dismissal from the other side, just as this board has done for well over a decade now.

Is there really some payoff -- no, let me use the word gain -- from actively attempting to decrease the level of intelligent discourse here?
You were told here that if you argued another mod action in a thread instead of taking it to the MA forum (after PMing the mod in question first) that you would receive a warning.

Infraction, filed under OTHER. Comments to PM.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 03:57 PM   #177
Zeppster
Commodore

I actually think most of the characters do a good job with elements of their counterparts just different twists on them as events have been changes.
Old May 29 2013, 04:27 PM   #178
YARN
Fleet Captain

You're lecturing again.
Allow me to just ask a few questions so that I may better understand and comply with officially enforced rules.

Are you speaking of a genuinely "personal preference" or are you making policy?

Are the words "apologize," the Latinate term identifying the "you too" argument, and opposite of "licit" forbidden here?

If so, are these words forbidden in this subforum, or the whole board? Would I be out of line using or mentioning these terms in the Tech subforum?

Is it forbidden to use these terms as well as mention these terms?

Is it that I am forbidden or that everyone is forbidden from using these words?

Are there other words I should be aware of (outside of obvious one like various expletives and terms commonly associated with personal attacks)?
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 04:41 PM   #179
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

YARN wrote: View Post
You're lecturing again.
Allow me to just ask a few questions so that I may better understand and comply with officially enforced rules.

Are you speaking of a genuinely "personal preference" or are you making policy?

Are the words "apologize," the Latinate term identifying the "you too" argument, and opposite of "licit" forbidden here?

If so, are these words forbidden in this subforum, or the whole board? Would I be out of line using or mentioning these terms in the Tech subforum?

Is it forbidden to use these terms as well as mention these terms?

Is it that I am forbidden or that everyone is forbidden from using these words?

Are there other words I should be aware of (outside of obvious one like various expletives and terms commonly associated with personal attacks)?
I don't know what it is about these posts from M'Sharak that gave you the impression that he was looking to have an extended conversation about board policy with you in the middle of the thread.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=102
http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=119

Or what part you misunderstood about this very recent post by me making it clear that complaints or clarifications about board policy can be taken to PM and then eventually on to Moderator Actions if you remain unsatisfied.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=176

It seems pretty clear you wish to continue grandstanding in the thread and arguing every little mod admonition instead of the topic, so that earns you an infraction as well. Filed under other.

COMMENTS TO PM. This is not a suggestion.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 04:58 PM   #180
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
But would they only recognize Nimoy, or would anyone in the distinctive pointed ears, bowl cut and uniform garner the same recognition? Just like a guy with a blue suit, red cape and \S/ on their chest is Superman?
Its the Spock that was created after 79 episodes of TOS and maybe TAS and maybe some movies. At that stage it was Nimoy Spock.
Well, this is often a generational thing. As I've mentioned before, I was appalled to discover, decades ago, that my youngest brother thought that Roger Moore was the "real" James Bond. I was horrified at first (everybody knew that Connery was the one true Bond), but then I realized it made perfect sense from his perspective. My brother, who was seventeen years younger than me, had grown up on Moore just like I had grown up on Connery.

Trust me on this, ten years from now there will be an entire generation for whom Pine and Quinto are the "real" Kirk and Spock. That's just the way it works.

Heck, not long ago, people were horrified at idea of Universal remaking the "classic" Brendan Fraser version of THE MUMMY, which was, of course, at least the third remake of the 1932 Karloff version.
Hopefully the next generation will think of Pine and Quinto as Kirk and Spock because that means that Star Trek is still going strong.

I agree its a generational thing. My kids have never heard of
John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote