Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 21 2013, 11:26 PM   #16
BK613
Captain

Re: Jefferies Tube construction as seen on TOS

^^
well the Jefferies tube in The Ultimate Computer is labeled

Engineering
Circuit Bay 121

Screenie
Old May 22 2013, 12:44 AM   #17
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

BK613 wrote: View Post
^^
well the Jefferies tube in The Ultimate Computer is labeled

Engineering
Circuit Bay 121
It's actually

ENGINEERING
CIRCUIT BAY G-121

Yes, they repurposed the signage that had been used in two different places during the first season.

The other place it appears is on the wall of the corridor opposite the door of Engineering when Kirk runs in to fight Khan at the end of "Space Seed." (I really do need to grab a shot and get it posted.) But you can see it at Trekcore:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...eseedhd738.jpg

For our Phase II sets, the different signage looks something like these samples:

I never heard where the Jefferies tube was supposed to be running until Franz Joseph made them climb up to the nacelles. I think I read somewhere that Jefferies had "intended" it to run up the spine of the connecting dorsal. I don't remember where I saw that or if I'm even remembering it correctly.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 04:22 AM   #18
Maurice
Vice Admiral

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
I never heard where the Jefferies tube was supposed to be running until Franz Joseph made them climb up to the nacelles. I think I read somewhere that Jefferies had "intended" it to run up the spine of the connecting dorsal. I don't remember where I saw that or if I'm even remembering it correctly.
Andy Probert intended the D's Jefferies tubes to go up the center spine of the dorsal. I never heard any suggestion like that previous to that.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 07:15 AM   #19
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Shane Johnson suggested that exact location in his "Mr Scotts Guide to the Enterprise"
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 09:15 AM   #20
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Mytran wrote: View Post
Shane Johnson suggested that exact location in his "Mr Scotts Guide to the Enterprise"
Maybe that's what I'm remembering. Still, Memory Alpha makes reference to "Jefferies' original schematics." So maybe there actually is something out there.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 01:00 PM   #21
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I have to admit, when I watched Star Trek as a kid after I saw the an episode of Scotty shimmying up the tube. I always watched hoping that it would happen again. As a child, I always imagined he was going up into the warp nacelle. It was the same when I watched Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I watched in anticipation that they would use the flying sub.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 01:30 PM   #22
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ You are not alone, others interpreted what happened onscreen just like you did: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=119751&page=49

I assume our interpretation changed over the years because we also saw the Jefferies Tube in use in "The Naked Time" and "Court-Martial" which rather suggested this Jefferies Tube location to be somewhere near the Engineering Control Room in the saucer.
And Scotty's transporter repair in "The Doomsday Machine" via a Jefferies Tube didn't seem to indicate this to be one in the nacelle's pylons which made the scene in "The Ultimate Computer" the most likely "original intention" (?) candidate.

Possibly, after the steps leading up, there might be some kind of one person elevator / trolley platform that would lift a properly suited engineer up to the nacelles (with a few stops on the way, judging by the pylons' windows).

The concept that there is a turbo lift doing the job is entirely conjectural and may originate from the belief that the red vertical lines in the Bridge schematic of the ship refer to turbo lifts.

But these vertical lines could just be the main power / conduit lines, running parallel to these two Jefferies Tubes.

Looks like I will have to add two Jefferies Tubes in my Enterprise deck plans where the pylons meet the hull.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 03:47 AM   #23
slipcover
Ensign

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful analysis and input! I could not have asked for more! I appreciate you guys each and every time I visit this site.

Sincerely,
Bill
slipcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 03:11 AM   #24
slipcover
Ensign

Okay. I would love to have opinions. I made this step in Google Sketchup (now Trimble Sketchup). While it looks right, I wanted to see if anyone had any corrections. The only thing you can not see is the actual step on the back side is 6 inches high (including 1 inch base, as seen in "Charlie X").

https://picasaweb.google.com/1103827...eat=directlink

Please let me know if you can't see these photos!

Thank you,
Bill
slipcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 04:56 AM   #25
BK613
Captain

^^ Looks good to me.

@GSchnitzer - did not know that about the reused signage.