Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 27 2013, 07:37 PM   #31
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Dialogue in ST V suggests that it was a new ship. There is nothing on-screen to suggest otherwise. What Roddenberry said doesn't matter because he had nothing to do with the production of the movies at this point and just liked to make statements like that so nobody would forget he was there.

It doesn't seem all that mysterious. A ship was being built when the 1701 was scuttled. After the destruction of the 1701 it was descided to name the new ship "Enterprise." While ship names are often chosen even before construction is started, it is not uncommon for names to be changed before actual commissioning. In fact, the descision to name her Enterprise may have come at the same time Star Fleet decided to decommission the 1701 before Kirk stole her.
That's another thing. The Enterprise was going to be taken out of service in III, but I always wondered if another Enterprise was on the drawing board. Perhaps the E-B was to originally be its successor, but the E-A was quickly rushed into service?

It's fun to theorize about.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 07:43 PM   #32
ConRefit79
Captain

Amasov wrote: View Post
That's another thing. The Enterprise was going to be taken out of service in III, but I always wondered if another Enterprise was on the drawing board. Perhaps the E-B was to originally be its successor, but the E-A was quickly rushed into service? It's fun to theorize about.
Could be. But she was in service from 2287 - 2293. I doubt it would take them 5 yrs to build the B. Not to mention, the Excelsior class completed her trials and a 3yr mission under Sulu's command.

She should have taken a mortal beating by Chang. Sufficient damage to warrant such an early decommissioning.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 07:45 PM   #33
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Dialogue in ST V suggests that it was a new ship. There is nothing on-screen to suggest otherwise. What Roddenberry said doesn't matter because he had nothing to do with the production of the movies at this point and just liked to make statements like that so nobody would forget he was there.

It doesn't seem all that mysterious. A ship was being built when the 1701 was scuttled. After the destruction of the 1701 it was descided to name the new ship "Enterprise." While ship names are often chosen even before construction is started, it is not uncommon for names to be changed before actual commissioning. In fact, the descision to name her Enterprise may have come at the same time Star Fleet decided to decommission the 1701 before Kirk stole her.
That's another thing. The Enterprise was going to be taken out of service in III, but I always wondered if another Enterprise was on the drawing board. Perhaps the E-B was to originally be its successor, but the E-A was quickly rushed into service?

It's subject to speculation, all right. In lack of any canonical answer, one theory about the ship is as good as another, IMO. The only thing we can say for indisputably about the Enterprise-A is that she came after the original, was in service for about a decade (more or less), and then decommissioned.
Old May 27 2013, 09:14 PM   #34
Belz...
Fleet Captain

But it may also explain why that Enterprise had the shortest lifespan, since she was decommissioned in VI.
Actually, VI implies that it's the crew that were being decomissioned, though Generations, set a short while after, shows the launch of 1701-B.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 09:48 PM   #35
mswood
Rear Admiral

LONG BEFORE IV was released there was fan talk of the excelsior, but by the month or two months before the movie was released materials started coming out. Interviews on TV, magazines, ect that left it very clear that the ship would be the same.

You didn't have to look for spoilers, to discover that.

But of course it's like Trek II, I didn't know the ship got destroyed until the ads ruined it.

Say what you will with the reboot Trek, and its far superior in keeping some things from fans.
Old May 29 2013, 04:30 AM   #36
Candlelight
Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
I recently saw a 1986 interview with the cast around the time The Voyage Home came out and they were being interviewed on the set of the Enterprise. As we all know, the Enterprise doesn't make an appearance in the movie until the last two minutes of the movie.

So that just leads me to ask, was it a surprise ending or did you know the Enterprise was going to return?
I don't know if it was a surprise to me. But I was dissapointed a bit. I would've prefered a different ship. I've never been too keen on maintaining the statu quo in a show.

Excelsior would have been pretty cool.
But then what ship does Sulu later captain?
The Enterprise-A.

Duh.

Old May 29 2013, 04:58 PM   #37
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post

I don't know if it was a surprise to me. But I was dissapointed a bit. I would've prefered a different ship. I've never been too keen on maintaining the statu quo in a show.

Excelsior would have been pretty cool.
But then what ship does Sulu later captain?
The Enterprise-A.

Duh.

Well-played!
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 08:30 PM   #38
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Yes, absolutely a surprise for me. I remember there be much discussion about what would happen to the ex-Enterprise crew. As has been mentioned, some thought that--as in the DC Comics version--Kirk and Crew would be assigned to Excelsior.
Agree. I even thought it was going to be Excelsior renamed Enterprise 1701-A.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 10:17 PM   #39
TheSubCommander
Captain

If the Enterprise A was a brand new ship, not a refit and rename of an older ship, then why was it decommissioned after Star Trek 6, a mere 5 years after it was commissioned? It was not that badly damaged.

Also, wasn't the production of Constitution class ships winding down by that point? Why build another Constitution class ship, if only to decomission it in 5 years?
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 05:36 AM   #40
General_Phoenix
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to General_Phoenix Send a message via AIM to General_Phoenix Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to General_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to General_Phoenix

I remember conversations taking place on old BBS's about Kirk and crew getting the Excelsior. I'm not sure if anyone even considered the Excelsior being re-named Enterprise with the Alpha tag at the end of the registry number though..I have to admit, I personally would have liked that (I also like the Enterprise B..big fan of the Excelsior class.) I recall one guy that would write on one board on a local BB seemed adamant that IV would be the last Trek movie with the old crew, and that all focus would be on the new TV series. One of the good things about the old BBS's, very little in the way of spoilers, but a lot of speculation.

There is a lot of confusion as to which ship the Enterprise A was before, I have heard that she was the Yorktown, but have also heard she was the Ti-Ho. I think the Ti-Ho was a complete new build though, before being re-named Enterprise.
Old May 30 2013, 06:14 AM   #41
TheSubCommander
Captain

There is a lot of confusion as to which ship the Enterprise A was before, I have heard that she was the Yorktown, but have also heard she was the Ti-Ho. I think the Ti-Ho was a complete new build though, before being re-named Enterprise.
I have heard that too: Yorktown is the ship that Roddenberry was telling people was renamed Enterprise A, but that doesn't make sense given that in ST IV, they say the Yorktown was adrift and they were getting ready to deploy the solar sail, when the Whale Probe rolled through Federation space near the beginning of the movie. It really seems unfair to unseat that captain and crew to give the Yorktown to Kirk, and then to add insult to injury, rename it!

And with Ti-Ho, from I think MR Scotts guide to the Enterprise or something similar, a brand new ship, being renamed Enterprise-A, it still doesn't make sense, when it was decommissioned 5 or so years later.

So to me, the thing that makes the most sense to me is the Enterprise-A was a newly refitted Constitution Class ship, that was around the same age as the original 1701, and then renamed Enterprise-A .
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 11:20 AM   #42
Belz...
Fleet Captain

But then did TUC imply the crew was getting decomissioned or the ship ? If the latter, that's just 5 years for a brand new ship.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 02:42 PM   #43
Lance
Fleet Captain

I've still got my theory that 'Enterprise A' was kind of a ship on permanent stand-by, whose crew were in a state of semi-retirement except for a few occasions when Starfleet assembled them together and sent them out on a special mission that required the specific talents of that crew and that captain. Certainly, it's clear they haven't been out in space together for some time at the start of STVI, and even the events at the beginning of STV could be interpreted the same way. The crew are all off doing their own things and Uhura has got to "get the band back together" for the Nimbus III mission.

Behind the scenes, I assume 1701-B was already under construction in the timeframe of STIV to STVI, so Kirk's "new" Enterprise was probably only ever intended to be a temporary stop-gap by the powers that be in Starfleet Command.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 03:07 PM   #44
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

But then did TUC imply the crew was getting decomissioned or the ship ? If the latter, that's just 5 years for a brand new ship.
That depends on if you accept the Okuda Chronology's dates, which has ST II-V happening over the course of 3 years (2285-87) when internal evidence from the movies show them taking place over the course of a few months at the most. They also have TWOK 18 years after The Space Seed rather than 15 (and yes, I am aware of the reasons why; and no, they can't be 15 Ceti Alphan years, since Kirk independently confirms the 15 year time-frame)

If you use the date references from the films (15 years after Space Seed in TWOK; McCoy's been assigned to Enterprise for 27 years) its a gap of closer to 10 years between V and VI.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 03:21 PM   #45
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't take the numbers so seriously.

9/11 happened 10 years ago. In casual conversation, you round numbers. 10, 15, 20.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote