Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Who is John Harrison?
A new character named John Harrison 26 23.64%
A new character with the psuedonym John Harrison 16 14.55%
Khan 19 17.27%
Gary Mitchell 19 17.27%
Harry Mudd 3 2.73%
Nero 0 0%
Trelane 1 0.91%
Other (Please Explain) 26 23.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 28 2013, 04:15 AM   #211
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Who is John Harrison (Possible SPOILERS or Insane Babbling)

John Harrison is obviously a villain who will give a long speech that last most of the movie and then die a month later of pneumonia.

Damn Space Whigs.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 09:59 PM   #212
yousirname
Commander

I think 'John Harrison' may be either a pseudonym of "John Arrik Soong", son or grandson of Arrik Soong, or that he may be an alternate-universe-accelerated Soong-type android, sort of a re-imagined Lore.

We know that Noonian Soong was able to create androids which both had emotions and appeared perfectly human ('Inheritance') and while that's a lot of canon to be throwing at the mass audience the film is courting, that same mass audience will likely just happily accept a human-appearing android without needing to be given a justification for it.

Arrik Soong's knowledge of genetic engineering/gene therapy would account for Harrison's claim to be able to help the little girl. His being an android would plausibly account for his apparently superhuman abilities and nerve-pinch immunity.

Soong's treatment at the hands of Starfleet could also be the underlying vengeance motive.

The biggest weakness of this theory is his status as a Starfleet officer. Granted, there's Data, but I always got the impression that Data was somewhat famous within Starfleet just for being an android officer, so assuming that would hold true in this case, it would be pretty tough to clandestinely plan a bunch of terror attacks.

So perhaps Harrison is an augment, but of the Soong variety rather than a Khan descendant or analogue (or Khan himself).
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 10:14 PM   #213
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

An android would explain his abilities - but he's seen bleeding in the rooftop fight with Spock (although I guess Terminators bleed too...) and I can't see him being PO'ed at his treatment by SF being reason enough to cause the kind of destruction he does.

Into Darkness definitely has one android (or possibly cyborg?) in the form of Joseph Gatt's character GATT2000. Of all the characters in the movie, he's the one I'm most curious to see.

Last edited by King Daniel Into Darkness; January 30 2013 at 11:32 PM.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 10:25 PM   #214
yousirname
Commander

I hadn't thought about the bleeding. That probably puts the kibosh on the Soong-type android theory. Leaving us (well, me) with Soong-augment or Augmented Soong descendant.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 05:00 PM   #215
Ryan8bit
Commodore

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Into Darkness definitely has one android (or possibly cyborg?) in the form of Joseph Gatt's character GATT2000. Of all the characters in the movie, he's the one I'm most curious to see.
I'm pretty sure he's seen in the room with all the pods (cryo-chambers?) in the trailer. The person seen there is bald and really buff, and not many other known cast fit into that build.

His character description is really vague. Maybe if they're augments, they might not just be biologically enhanced, but maybe technologically as well. Sort of transhuman almost.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 04:14 PM   #216
Aldar
Cadet

This has probably been brought up before, but I couldn't find it. What about the scene in the trailer when two hands are being held together separated by glass just like the scene in ST2 when Spock dies and Kirk holds his hand up to Spock's separated by glass? So maybe John Harrison is Kahn or just coincidence? However I'm tired of remakes of everything, so hopefully it is a new character.
Aldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 07:24 PM   #217
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I'm guessing based on all those chambers we saw in another video (or picture) that John Harrison is another Botany Bay passenger, possibly the only Botany Bay passenger that they thawed out possibly years earlier, or Harrison is a covert modern day decendent of the genetic 'superman' trying to get to the BB passengers who are still in statis in some sort of corporate research center (this is where Weller's character comes in) after the Reliant found the BB floating in space.
Old February 4 2013, 07:34 PM   #218
Balrog
Commodore

John Harrison is actually John Logan.

And Boy! Is he pissed...

ETA: Actually, I'm getting the feeling this movie is connected more and more to Season 4 of (gasp!) Enterprise.

Last edited by Balrog; February 4 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Balrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 09:27 PM   #219
Lord Garth
Captain

Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to go with John Harrison is John Harrison.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 08:08 PM   #220
dcbpe
Lieutenant Commander

dcbpe wrote: View Post
After reading 13 pages of this thread, I'm not too surprised to see that no one watched Season 4 of Enterprise. It was cancelled after all...but it is still canon, and it is pre-Nero timeline changes.

Peter Weller is playing John Fredrick Paxton, a disciple of Colonel Green and former leader of Terra Prime. Go ahead, check Memory Alpha. John Harrison...who was an actual TOS crew member as someone else already pointed out...is somehow related to Paxton. I'm not sure how.

JJ Abrams is too good to rehash TWOK or WNMHGB. He is too good to not know that Weller has already played a Trek villain, tied to another unexplored Trek villain. Frankly, Paxton got 2 canon episodes (Demons and Terra Prime) versus Khan's 1 (Space Seed) so there is more material to work with. JJ is also too good to notice that these were the last 2 ST:ENT episodes before that disgusting debacle in the Holodeck which ended what had become a promising show so horribly wrong.

JJ is also very good at providing allusions to every other famous villain for us to salivate about. Releasing scenes like the WNMHGB-esque brig shot or the TWOK "the needs of the many" are just Abrams' own way of running a Corbomite Maneuver on us.

IMHO, of course.

EDIT: BTW, I love the Garth of Izar theory. After all, with the Nero timeline changes the Enterprise wouldn't be near Elba II to stop the jailbreak. Perhaps JJ should follow that one in his third installment.

So, now that I've read spoilers of the new movie (haven't seen it yet) I am both very disappointed in the writers and preparing to eat my ticket on video for Admiral Buzzkill
Old May 29 2013, 01:02 AM   #221
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I still think the producers were playing a complicated trick on the audience. Harrison is really the hybrid child created by the genetic material of Khan, Garth of Izar, the Borg Queen, Marty McFly's girlfriend Jennifer and Sam Beckett.

They're sly, those writers.

Old May 29 2013, 01:57 AM   #222
CorporalClegg
Admiral

You forgot Batman.
Old May 29 2013, 02:10 AM   #223
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Nah.

His genes will be used to create the main villain in the third film.

Old May 29 2013, 02:11 AM   #224
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I suppose. He does have plenty of time to prepare.