Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 28 2013, 05:55 PM   #1336
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

DarthTom wrote: View Post
I'm sure that Iron Man however has pleased everyone at Paramount this summer however.
Paramount didn't distribute Iron Man 3. When Disney acquired Marvel they bought out Paramount's distribution deal with Marvel. Paramount is getting a cut of Iron Man 3's box office, as they did with The Avengers, as a result of that buyout, but most of the money is flowing to Disney/Marvel.
Old May 28 2013, 05:57 PM   #1337
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
Plus I look at STiD's #3 spot like this. It was only just barely #3. Hangover III did a mere 4 million more in business which in big movie release terms means that they were more or less tied.
Considering that STID opened at a huge number of IMAX locations and that it was in 3-D at a higher ticket price than the previous film + that Paramount make a big effort to promote and even release the film overseas first - coupled with the fact that they hired an international film star, Cumberbatch and it didn't, 'hit it out of the park,' with over $100 million opening weekend - I'd wager that the beancounters at Paramount are disappointed.

But, go right ahead an put the happy face on the numbers.

We shall see.

As an aside, I wonder if Paramount is worried about their next big release in June, World War Z, which they've also put a subsantial financial stake into?

I'm sure that Iron Man however has pleased everyone at Paramount this summer however.
We shall see what, exactly? There's going to be a third film by the same production company featuring the same cast.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 05:58 PM   #1338
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

No doubt Paramount will do more research into why this film didn't hit the numbers they wanted. Maybe they'll knock at least a year off the turnaround time for the next one. Or if they have a villain the general audience is well aware of, they could consider not keeping him a secret.

Seems to me that Into Darkness was geared more toward fans than 2009. See, I thought 2009 was "meh" but really loved STID. I'm an old, cranky die-hard fan. I'm not the guy they should be pleasing. There was a lot of fan service here, much more than in ST 09. Methinks they need to go back to making movies I think are "meh" and get their money back in earnest.
Old May 28 2013, 05:59 PM   #1339
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

A better movie would probably have made more money.

It could certainly have been better.
Old May 28 2013, 06:06 PM   #1340
Jax
Admiral

The next movie will probably attempt to back to 09 more adventure light hearted theme instead of the dark angle. Paramount marketing seemed more focus worldwide than domestic so they need to just find the right balance and hope 2016 summer is less busy May-June.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 06:06 PM   #1341
The Stig
Rear Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
No doubt Paramount will do more research into why this film didn't hit the numbers they wanted. Maybe they'll knock at least a year off the turnaround time for the next one. Or if they have a villain the general audience is well aware of, they could consider not keeping him a secret.

Seems to me that Into Darkness was geared more toward fans than 2009. See, I thought 2009 was "meh" but really loved STID. I'm an old, cranky die-hard fan. I'm not the guy they should be pleasing. There was a lot of fan service here, much more than in ST 09. Methinks they need to go back to making movies I think are "meh" and get their money back in earnest.
I hate to interrupt, but STID has made more money to date than Trek '09 did, by about 55 million dollars. The foreign take is double what it was at this point in the first movie's run.

STID is going to make more money than Trek '09. Hiring an international star like Cumberbatch did wonders for the film in overseas markets, along with a much larger marketing push. This sets the stage nicely for an even stronger foreign performance for the next Bad Robot Trek production.

Old May 28 2013, 06:07 PM   #1342
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yep.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 06:10 PM   #1343
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
I hate to interrupt, but STID has made more money to date than Trek '09 did, by about 55 million dollars.
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Yep.
No shit?

Assuming you guys aren't lying, this is seriously the most hilarious thing I've heard in the past week!
Old May 28 2013, 06:28 PM   #1344
The Stig
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I hate to interrupt, but STID has made more money to date than Trek '09 did, by about 55 million dollars.
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Yep.
No shit?

Assuming you guys aren't lying, this is seriously the most hilarious thing I've heard in the past week!
After two weekends:
STID Domestic: $155 million
STID International: $102 million

Trek '09 Domestic: $155 million
Trek '09 International: $50 million.

Source: http://boxofficemojo.com

Old May 28 2013, 06:32 PM   #1345
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I hate to interrupt, but STID has made more money to date than Trek '09 did, by about 55 million dollars. The foreign take is double what it was at this point in the first movie's run.
Star Trek had made $70 million foreign at this point in its release. STiD has made $102 million. Star Trek was playing in more markets at that point, though. STiD has made about $32 million more worldwide than Star Trek after the same number of days in release.

With the bigger budget, the bigger worldwide marketing push and the 3D release, Paramount would have hoped for over $500 million worldwide, with $450 million being decent, but not all they hoped for, and anything less being disappointing. The domestic legs and the foreign increases so far will hopefully put STiD over the $450 million worldwide mark by the end of its run. If it hits $500 million then they got the numbers they wanted, albeit with a slightly bumpier ride domestically than expected.
Old May 28 2013, 06:42 PM   #1346
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

We shall see what, exactly? There's going to be a third film by the same production company featuring the same cast.
If it hits the 1/2 billion + dollars that many predicted it would.
Making another film is a foregone conclusion. A $190 million budget next go around I'd wager is not.

Edited to add: I'm sure the studio is also banking on huge $$ in DVD sales.

Also, IIRC movie studios are less happy with overseas numbers because the profit sharing agreement between distributors and the cinema are different than in the US where the studio gets the lion share of the money.

Last edited by DarthTom; May 28 2013 at 06:53 PM.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 06:49 PM   #1347
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Star Trek had made $70 million foreign at this point in its release. STiD has made $102 million. Star Trek was playing in more markets at that point, though. STiD has made about $32 million more worldwide than Star Trek after the same number of days in release.
Don't shoot the messenger even the NY Times agrees with my assessment:

That total was on the low end of expectations; box office analysts had predicted $80 million to $100 million for the movie’s opening stretch. But “Star Trek Into Darkness,” which cost Paramount and Skydance about $190 million to make, is on track to double the overseas total of “Star Trek,” the film’s 2009 franchise predecessor, which was a bit of an international dud. Audiences in North America gave the well-reviewed “Star Trek Into Darkness” an A score in exit polls, boding well for word of mouth — although the multiplex competition ahead is steep.
Old May 28 2013, 06:54 PM   #1348
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Don't shoot the messenger even the NY Times agrees with my assessment:

That total was on the low end of expectations; box office analysts had predicted $80 million to $100 million for the movie’s opening stretch. But “Star Trek Into Darkness,” which cost Paramount and Skydance about $190 million to make, is on track to double the overseas total of “Star Trek,” the film’s 2009 franchise predecessor, which was a bit of an international dud. Audiences in North America gave the well-reviewed “Star Trek Into Darkness” an A score in exit polls, boding well for word of mouth — although the multiplex competition ahead is steep.
So the analysts were wrong.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 07:01 PM   #1349
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Don't shoot the messenger even the NY Times agrees with my assessment
If you think I haven't acknowledged certain weaknesses in the film's performance you're mistaken. As things stand now, the opening was below expectations, but the legs are good so far. The domestic gross will be lower than Paramount hoped for, but the foreign increases give the film a good chance to end up in the $450 million range, which would be decent. The $500 million worldwide Paramount no doubt hoped for is probably a bridge too far, but we'll see how the foreign numbers unfold in the territories to go.
Old May 28 2013, 07:18 PM   #1350
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

If you think I haven't acknowledged certain weaknesses in the film's performance you're mistaken. As things stand now, the opening was below expectations, but the legs are good so far. The domestic gross will be lower than Paramount hoped for, but the foreign increases give the film a good chance to end up in the $450 million range, which would be decent. The $500 million worldwide Paramount no doubt hoped for is probably a bridge too far, but we'll see how the foreign numbers unfold in the territories to go.
Lets chat about it next Monday and we'll see where we're at.