Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.38%
A 161 21.67%
A- 100 13.46%
B+ 82 11.04%
B 58 7.81%
B- 27 3.63%
C+ 40 5.38%
C 38 5.11%
C- 24 3.23%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.75%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.71%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 28 2013, 10:07 AM   #3781
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I don't know.. people enjoyed the Dark Knight, and that film really allowed us to see all sides nearly with equal time.
Old May 28 2013, 10:18 AM   #3782
TommyW
Lieutenant Junior Grade

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I'm still going to miss Pike. Bruce Greenwood really acted the hell out of that character.
Yeah, Bruce Greenwood was great. It's a shame they didn't give him a better death. I wish they'd kept him alive longer and had him going into the radioactive chamber instead. At least then they'd have had a meaningful emotional sequence between him and Kirk or something. Kirk going in there meant nothing because everyone and his dog knew he was gonna be fine
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 10:18 AM   #3783
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I don't know.. people enjoyed the Dark Knight, and that film really allowed us to see all sides nearly with equal time.
Star Trek is a bit more fast paced than the Dark Knight, and the lines a little less blurred. Batman's world is very shades of gray, and TDK is built up that way, as is BB.

Star Trek? Not so much.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:17 PM   #3784
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm not really a fanwank kind of guy, but I really wish they'd have figured out how to work in the "never lose you" line from The Naked Time when Kirk was saving the Enterprise.
Old May 28 2013, 02:56 PM   #3785
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

One more thing - mega-props to JJ and company for the shout out to DS9 by the mention of Section 31. That sent my fanboy heart all atwitter!
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
siskokid888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 03:12 PM   #3786
Zeppster
Commodore

I didn't see a left wing message. I saw a anti war message a little bit. As many progressives in history have proved over and over again that is not an anti war message. Progressivism is built on a pro war message.

Definitely a fun film. Much better than the first. There are problems with it. But the villains are much better and well set up for the first 2 hours. The last part was just a 30-40 minute quick reverse/rehash of TWOK. Which isn't bad but it wasn't set up as well as the Marcus/Starfleet vs Enterprise crew plot.
Old May 28 2013, 04:22 PM   #3787
Franklin
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm not really a fanwank kind of guy, but I really wish they'd have figured out how to work in the "never lose you" line from The Naked Time when Kirk was saving the Enterprise.
"Never lose you, again," considering command had been taken away from him once at the start of the movie.

I don't think this Kirk is shaping up to be as lonely as Kirk Prime. At least not for now. The poignancy of that line in "The Naked Time" was the Enterprise was Kirk's life. The "family" idea of the big seven was never in TOS. The crew had aged about another 15 years before that idea took root in TSFS and culminated when Spock told Sarek, "They are my friends" in TVH.

When Kirk said, "Welcome to the family" to Carol at the end of STID, that was really the only time I kind of cringed. There's definitely a social vibe on that ship that didn't exist on Kirk Prime's Enterprise. Not that it's bad. It's just different. This Kirk may actually turn out to be more emotionally balanced than Kirk Prime was.

Last edited by Franklin; May 28 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 04:36 PM   #3788
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The relationships of characters on the ships in Star Trek morph with generational attitudes to a great extent. TOS was made during a time when most Americans were somewhat personally familiar with the structure and culture of the military, due to a couple of generations of an armed forces based on conscription. That was less true for TNG, where characters behaved toward one another much more as if in a civilian workplace, and the same is true for the present day TOS-based reboot.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; May 28 2013 at 04:47 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 04:53 PM   #3789
Belz...
Fleet Captain

The first season of TNG is particularily annoying about this. People on the bridge regularily engage with whomever is on the viewscreen without the Captain's permission. Not sure that would fly in real life. :P

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 04:55 PM   #3790
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
The relationships of characters on the ships in Star Trek morph with generational attitudes to a great extent. TOS was made during a time when most Americans were somewhat familiar with the structure and culture of the military, due to a couple of generations of an armed forces based on conscription. That was less true for TNG, where characters behaved toward one another much more as if in a civilian workplace, and the same is true for the present day TOS-based reboot.
Good points. I'm cool with it as long as Kirk and company don't start sitting around conference tables "valuing" everyone's opinion before acting.

It just occurred to me, too. There's Spock and Uhura. A hint of a future for Kirk and Marcus. Hey, they gotta get McCoy a woman.

If we wanted to have the lonely, slightly emotionally bitter Kirk, bound and wed only to his Enterprise, then Marcus would be his Rand. Don't see that happening, though. This Enterprise has the potential to be either the Love Boat, or it recreates the Picard-Crusher (Kirk-Marcus), Riker-Troi (Spock-Uhura) relationships.
Old May 28 2013, 05:14 PM   #3791
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Franklin wrote: View Post

If we wanted to have the lonely, slightly emotionally bitter Kirk, bound and wed only to his Enterprise, then Marcus would be his Rand. Don't see that happening, though. This Enterprise has the potential to be either the Love Boat, or it recreates the Picard-Crusher (Kirk-Marcus), Riker-Troi (Spock-Uhura) relationships.
Or Marcus gets assimilated by the Borg in the next movie. Moving Kirk towards the character we know him to be in TOS.
Old May 28 2013, 05:17 PM   #3792
Franklin
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post

Or Marcus gets assimilated by the Borg in the next movie. Moving Kirk towards the character we know him to be in TOS.
Or the Klingons off her, and he yells, "You Klingon bastard! You've killed my woman!"
Old May 28 2013, 05:22 PM   #3793
Zeppster
Commodore

I think it's pretty well set up to be Klingons as the main baddie in the next one.
Old May 28 2013, 06:06 PM   #3794
indranee
Vice Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
STID engineering was not filmed at the "brewery". It was filmed at NIF.
Actually it was filmed there _in addition_ to the brewery. Watch closely.
I did. It doesn't matter what was done "in addition". Main engineering was no longer a 'brewery'.

This is nitpicking to an extreme, IMO.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 06:29 PM   #3795
indranee
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Dantrek wrote: View Post
It was too chessy when Spock yells out "Khan!!" I don't why he was, it was Admiral Marcus who crippled the ship and caused the power loss. Khan had just taken control of the Vengeance.
That's what i thought on my first viewing - but on my second I saw that although the Enterprise was damaged and helpless, it was Khan's attack after beaming Kirk, Scotty and Carol back which damaged the warp core and sent the Enterprise falling to Earth.
Yes, but it was still not only cheesy but badly done. ZQ just doesn't have what the Shatman did in that one instance.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote