Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 25 2013, 11:55 PM   #31
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Babylon 5 - Why 'Sinclair' left the show

JMS always seems to be big on the actors and others from Bab5 being clan of their own, he talks about them like they are hugely important as a group to him (and has very close ties with a lot of them). It doesn't surprise me he protected O'Hare like that. It's good to read though, especially in the light of some of the nastier suppositions that have been put forth.

And I'll echo the praise for O'Hare's acting and the character of Sinclair.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 01:37 AM   #32
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
My impression of JMS was not so well after B5 concluded.. it seemed he went a bit sour and could never live down the fact it didn't become as huge as Star Trek or Star Wars.. inflated ego came to mind.
I always got the impression that it was more a case of being disappointed, and yes probably bitter, that the franchise didn't get the respect or support from WBs that he felt it deserved.
Old May 26 2013, 03:34 AM   #33
propita
Rear Admiral

I teared up reading this to Hubby. I hope this is true, but I don't, you know? That he went through all that. To persevere...that is noble.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:39 AM   #34
Takeru
Fleet Captain

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
What Jerry said on the radio show was that he personally thought Michael was crazy and that he demanded the producers remove him or Jerry would leave the show. Jerry has the air of someone who thinks he's the reason for existence. There's zero evidence that Jerry's personal disagreements with Michael had anything to do with it, and the reveal of a personal medical issue just makes Jerry seem like more of an ass for saying these things.
No, they don't. Jerry Doyle may be an ass (I don't know or care to be honest), but he can't be blamed for not empathizing with Michael O'Hare when he kept his issues a secret.

This isn't a great story to be honest, it's sad! It's sad that mental illness is treated like a shameful secret that someone has to take to their grave.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 05:23 AM   #35
JoeD80
Captain

Huh I didn't actually write anything about whether Jerry should or should not empathize with him. I did write about Jerry thinking he was responsible for Michael leaving. But since it was a medical issue, Jerry was wrong. That's what I was addressing, so your post doesn't really make sense in response to mine.

As for Jerry being an ass - he was absolutely not polite about the whole situation and he can certainly be blamed for not being a nice person about it.

Michael was a very private individual about most things. He wanted to keep private about it. Calling that "shameful" seems like your issue, not his.

Last edited by JoeD80; May 26 2013 at 05:35 AM.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 09:24 AM   #36
Candlelight
Admiral

Thanks for posting this Jan, nice to finally have the final story after all this time.
Old May 26 2013, 09:38 AM   #37
Jan
Commodore

This article has the audio of JMS talking about Michael
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...-ComiCon-Panel

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 11:50 AM   #38
Neroon
Mod of balance

This seems to be as appropriate a place as any to post this link. Most B5 fans are aware of the sobering tributes to Richard Biggs and Andreas Katsulas create by the brilliant John Hudgens. Well, he has crafted a simple, straightforward dedication to all of those in the B5 family who have passed on. It was unveiled just this past weekend at Phoenix

- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 02:04 PM   #39
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Incredibly sobering when you realize just how many have been lost both in front of and behind the camera. I hadn't realized that a few people in that tribute had passed, thanks for sharing.
Old May 27 2013, 06:27 PM   #40
Jan
Commodore

Neroon wrote: View Post
This seems to be as appropriate a place as any to post this link. Most B5 fans are aware of the sobering tributes to Richard Biggs and Andreas Katsulas create by the brilliant John Hudgens. Well, he has crafted a simple, straightforward dedication to all of those in the B5 family who have passed on. It was unveiled just this past weekend at Phoenix.
John Hudgens told me that our hearts would break when I saw him before the reunion panel. He was true to his word. Many of the cast were very emotional after seeing it.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 08:45 PM   #41
Starkers
Admiral

Jan, I'm just repeating what others have said but thanks for posting this.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 09:53 PM   #42
Neroon
Mod of balance

Jan wrote: View Post
Neroon wrote: View Post
This seems to be as appropriate a place as any to post this link. Most B5 fans are aware of the sobering tributes to Richard Biggs and Andreas Katsulas create by the brilliant John Hudgens. Well, he has crafted a simple, straightforward dedication to all of those in the B5 family who have passed on. It was unveiled just this past weekend at Phoenix.
John Hudgens told me that our hearts would break when I saw him before the reunion panel. He was true to his word. Many of the cast were very emotional after seeing it.

Jan
The wisest move he made on this video was to include everyone he could, not just the most significant names.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 01:30 AM   #43
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Oh, that's so sad what happened to him. I loved O'Hare and have always been saddened that he didn't get a bigger career after B5 but now it makes sense. Damn shame and it's lovely of JMS to support him as he did.
Old May 28 2013, 09:23 AM   #44
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

And the destiny of the character makes sure he is never a footnote "this guy was the leader in season 1 but he left..".

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 12:58 PM   #45
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

I never much cared why he left, but learning the facts behind his departure... Sobering, sad, but inspiring as well. I'm now even more thankful I had the opportunity to see Mr O'Hare at a con several years ago.

Thank you for posting this, Jan.

I'll delay my viewing of the tribute video for a while, I think.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have thought my opinion of Doyle could go much lower, but it has.