Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 28 2013, 04:38 AM   #1
draderman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

AFT NACELLE (Spoilers)

Hey all. Saw Into Darkness for a 3rd time last nite and:
In the scene where K says he will destroy the Enterprise life support system "located behind the aft nacelle".

HUH?

Anyone else notice this? I know its stupid to knitpick stuff like this but I have to admit it bugs me a little bit. Theres a port and starboard nacelle. You could say that the nacelle's are located aft on the ship, i guess. Also saying aft nacelle sounds like theres a for nacelle? The truth is, there is no aft nacelle. Lazy writing maybe?

?
draderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 05:09 AM   #2
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: AFT NACELLE (Spoilers)

I did kind of "Huh?!" at that line in the cinema, but couldn't remember the wording afterwards. I'm not sure what they were going for there either.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

I too noticed that line was odd. It should have been "port" or "starboard" instead of aft, which does indeed imply that there's a fore nacelle.
Old May 28 2013, 07:15 AM   #4
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

I have a not entirely legal screener of the film (don't ask, as tsuch topics are verboten here), and just listened to this scene repeatedly, and he most certainly doesn't say "located behind the aft nacelle". I can't say for certain what he actually is saying, but it's NOT "aft nacelle". It sounds more like he's saying "located behind the arms-cell" (?), though I think it's far more likely that he's say "arsenal", though drawn out, emphasizing all 3 syllables, as "Ar-sen-al". I'd imagine that a ship's arsenal is pretty heavily reinforced, and that such an area would be a great place to locate other essential systems, such as life support.
Old May 28 2013, 07:42 AM   #5
Shilliam Watner
Commander

I watched the movie for the 3rd time and he most definitely stated 'aft nacelle'. My brother walking out of the theater looked at me and said "where is the aft nacelle?" He thinks the writers just made a mistake in their terminology.
Shilliam Watner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

I assumed he was referring to that thing on the spine of the saucer section that runs from the bridge to the impulse deck that we've never figured out what to call yet. Probably the "impulse nacelle" or something. In which case "behind" the aft nacelle is probably a spot on the neck just below it.
Old May 28 2013, 09:39 AM   #7
chardman
Vice Admiral

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
I watched the movie for the 3rd time and he most definitely stated 'aft nacelle'. My brother walking out of the theater looked at me and said "where is the aft nacelle?" He thinks the writers just made a mistake in their terminology.
Sorry, but I listened to it a dozen times or more, specifically listening to that part over and over, and he does NOT say "aft nacelle". As I said before, it's not clear what he actually is saying, but it isn't "aft nacelle".
Old May 28 2013, 09:48 AM   #8
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I thought he was referring to the engineering hull? If you ignore the warp drive components, you've got the saucer and the nacelle. My thoughts were, "why would you have such a centralized life support system?" -but this is Star Trek, where all the transporters can be zapped with one broken pipe in Engineering ("The Enemy Within")
Old May 28 2013, 09:58 AM   #9
chardman
Vice Admiral

Well, I've just downloaded a Theatrical closed caption file for special showings to hearing impaired audiences, and am trying to locate software to read it. Hopefully, the folks that Paramount hired to do this were working from a script, and can shed some light on the matter.

ETA: Or not. Clearly, the captions I found weren't the official Paramount authorized ones, but a mediocre attempt put together for a local theatre that couldn't get the real captions from the studio. The captions bear little resemblance to what's actually being said.
Old May 28 2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Kpnuts
Commodore

chardman wrote: View Post
Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
Sorry, but I listened to it a dozen times or more, specifically listening to that part over and over, and he does NOT say "aft nacelle". As I said before, it's not clear what he actually is saying, but it isn't "aft nacelle".
I don't know what you're listening to but he CLEARLY, 100% says 'aft nacelle', there shouldn't even be a discussion that he doesn't, it's that obvious.

"Located behind the ar-se-nal"?
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 11:39 AM   #11
chardman
Vice Admiral

No... he CLEARLY, 100% says something other than 'aft nacelle', which we all know makes absolutely no sense, and wouldn't have survived to the final print in even the most amateurish fan film. He clearly says something that merely (but unfortunately) sounds a bit like 'aft nacelle', but isn't. And that's the only thing that's obvious.

This reminds me of the arguments of several posters years back, who insisted that JJ had changed Kirk's middle name in Trek '09, because they were convinced that the kid-Kirk told the cop his name was James Siberius Kirk".
Old May 28 2013, 12:25 PM   #12
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I just want to say that this thread title is the best laugh I've had in hours.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 01:33 PM   #13
OpenMaw
Commander

I bet they put that in there just to poke detail oriented trekkers in the side.

If they did, it's quite funny.

Here's your May Issue of Nacelle's Monthly. We've got a full spread devoted to aft nacelles. Oh yeah!
Old May 28 2013, 01:37 PM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

chardman wrote: View Post
This reminds me of the arguments of several posters years back, who insisted that JJ had changed Kirk's middle name in Trek '09, because they were convinced that the kid-Kirk told the cop his name was James Siberius Kirk".
Didn't someone actually run the scene through some fancy word recognition software which confirmed the kid did say "Siberius"?
Old May 28 2013, 02:49 PM   #15
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I'm pretty sure he does say aft nacelle. Thing is a nacelle could refer to any engine housing on the ship, warp, impulse, fusion thruster. Refering to the impulse deck as a single nacelle (housing) would make more sense, the lift support systems buried in the neck part of the engineering assembly.

But Khan or not he's still shrugging off a ship to ship jump, 40 deck climb, hand to hand combat and a pretty hard stun blast to the torso. One or two words slurred isn't bad.
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote