New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 27 2013, 10:21 PM   #31
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: New Arrested Development! (SPOILERS)

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Lindsay is a little thinner (she also looked different somehow, but I can't quite figure out why)
Portia de Rossi has had a lot of plastic surgery in the seven years since the show ended, and not all of it was done particularly competently.
Thought that might be the case. As I said I barely recognised her as the same person when her episode started. In fact I showed a friend some of the episodes and he said in that scene of her with the bags "she looks more like Madonna than Lindsay."
Yeah, she generally doesn't look like herself anymore. It's very unfortunate that she decided to Botox any trace of emotion out of her face.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:35 PM   #32
tighr
Commodore

Couldn't help myself, dove in for a rewatch. Time to pick up on all the little sight gags!

S4E01:

The murals at the Phoenix airport when Michael is riding the moving sidewalk show all the major plotlines from the first three seasons.

When Lucille 2 writes Michael the check for $700,000 (dated 5/1/08), the previous two entries in her check register are $800 to a party supply store for "cinco garbage (sombreroes and marionettes)", and $325 to juice boxes, "legitimate grape, snappy/apple/sugar cane plus".

The news report about Boy George is covered from "Actual Britain" by wee BBC 2.
Old May 27 2013, 11:32 PM   #33
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post

Portia de Rossi has had a lot of plastic surgery in the seven years since the show ended, and not all of it was done particularly competently.
Thought that might be the case. As I said I barely recognised her as the same person when her episode started. In fact I showed a friend some of the episodes and he said in that scene of her with the bags "she looks more like Madonna than Lindsay."
Yeah, she generally doesn't look like herself anymore. It's very unfortunate that she decided to Botox any trace of emotion out of her face.
Episode 6 addresses why she looks a bit off.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 12:56 AM   #34
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I saw an interview with Portia and Ellen Degeneres on CBS Sunday Morning last year, maybe the year before. My heart went out to Portia as I saw that interview. She suffers from severe depression and has body image issues, and both have taken a toll on her.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 01:13 AM   #35
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I stayed up late Saturday and watched the first 7 pistoles. Another four yesterday, before I went to a pool party and then watchedvthe final four this morning. The first episode is awkward, but when considered with the rest of the season is clearly just set up. It has otherwise all been brilliant. About my only critique is that Michael is kind of a douche now, which took some getting used to. But revisiting earlier episodes from the original run, he's always kind of had that douchebag element to his character, but it was always put aside by how much worse the rest of the family is. Here, he's on his own and without the rest of the Bluths to literally play off and be the "good guy" around, his douchiness basically comes out. Definitely looking forward to the movie or additional seasons now.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 01:20 AM   #36
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Minor Pet-Peeve: I know they are sort-of playing fast and loose with the dates between "Development Arrested" and this batch of episodes, but it seems to me, they have iPhones a little too early. At least, I assumed that Lindsay's India trip took place shortly after the events of "Development Arrested," which aired in early 2006 and the iPhone didn't debut until June 2007.

Again, minor nitpik, you can all carry on now...
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 01:35 AM   #37
tighr
Commodore

Yeah, they didn't provide very many concrete dates for the events. As I noted earlier, Lucille 2 gives Michael a check in May 2008 for the housing development, but by this point the California housing market had already crashed. Maeby is a Sr for the fifth time, which should make it 2011.
Old May 28 2013, 01:35 AM   #38
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Lindsay is a little thinner (she also looked different somehow, but I can't quite figure out why)
You shut your mouth. She was gorgeous before and she is still gorgeous now.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:35 AM   #39
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ten episodes in and I'm still not sure what I think. No real laugh out loud moments and the episodes overlap so much that it feels like I've gotten three or four episodes worth of actual new material so far.
Old May 28 2013, 03:04 AM   #40
Awesome Possum
I've Been Rebooted

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

I watched it all the way through and started a rewatch.

I have noticed a few things.
Old May 28 2013, 05:19 AM   #41
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Ten episodes in and I'm still not sure what I think. No real laugh out loud moments and the episodes overlap so much that it feels like I've gotten three or four episodes worth of actual new material so far.
Interesting you say that. I haven't seen them but wasn't the season supposed to be 10 episodes, than 12, 13, now 15, and they kept adding more episodes because of the extra footage?
Old May 28 2013, 11:22 AM   #42
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Interesting you say that. I haven't seen them but wasn't the season supposed to be 10 episodes, than 12, 13, now 15, and they kept adding more episodes because of the extra footage?
Finished the whole thing just now and I completely agree with BillJ. This feels like it was all setup and no payoff. There is also not really anything to root for with these characters anymore. They're not lovably disfunctional, they're just assholes.

I almost wish it had just stayed dead at this point.

I'm going to go cry in a corner now.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 01:13 PM   #43
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Venardhi wrote: View Post
There is also not really anything to root for with these characters anymore. They're not lovably disfunctional, they're just assholes.

I agree.
Old May 28 2013, 05:06 PM   #44
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Finished the whole thing just now and I completely agree with BillJ. This feels like it was all setup and no payoff. There is also not really anything to root for with these characters anymore. They're not lovably disfunctional, they're just assholes.

I'm going to go cry in a corner now.
I half agree. I definitely think what you say about it being all setup and no payoff is true. There's supposed to be a movie coming up, so basically this whole season was setup for the movie. That's unfortunate, because 1) we don't need 8 hours of setup for a 2 hour film, and 2) every season/episode should be able to stand on its own to some degree. I feel that these episodes make sense within the larger context of the entire series/a film, but they don't make much sense on their own. I can't see myself ever rewatching this season, as there wasn't anything hilariously funny enough to want to see again and most of the episodes (especially the early ones) are just different versions of what we see again in the later episodes.

Also, though I got used to the character based episodes, I really prefer it when they are all together. It's really an ensemble cast. The way that Buster, Gob, Lindsay, and Michael play off of each other is much funnier than anything they could do on their own. I know it was mostly the shooting schedule that caused them to do things this way, it's just unfortunate. I yearned for more family moments!

But at the same time, I am still glad that these episodes were made and I still found them enjoyable, though not as enjoyable as the first seasons of the show.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 05:35 PM   #45
tighr
Commodore

I will say that the season really steps it up when you sit down and do a rewatch. All of those boring "setups" in the early episodes become jokes once you know the punchlines from the later episodes.

For example, in the first episode, Michael walks into the dorm room when George Michael and P-Hound are talking about Fakeblock. The conversation is completely different when you know what it really is.