Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old May 28 2013, 02:24 AM   #16
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: NuEnterprise Torpedo Tubes (spoilers, sort of)

And its not as though the number of tubes is unprecedented. The TOS Enterprise had at the very least 6 torpedo tubes. Other ships like the Enterprise-E and the Akira have a plenitude of tubes as well.
Old May 28 2013, 03:10 AM   #17
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
The one in-universe criterion would be that these tubes should be as difficult for the crew to access in-flight as possible, to hide their true nature. This might indeed best be achieved by having 72 individual single-shot launchers that come pre-loaded (or at least starbase-loaded-by-stevedores-in-black) and don't requite any in-flight tampering such as loading of the next round...
They definitely weren't pre-loaded. The tubes had to be loaded one at a time by a crane when the ship was in firing position. Seems the torpedoes themselves were actually stored in the cargo/shuttle bays close to the launch tubes, which were themselves in fairly awkward positions hardly appropriate for weapons stations.

On the other hand, these were supposedly refitted in a somewhat hasty and clandestine manner...
Hasty, yes, but not clandestine. Everyone on the ship knew what was going on, and everyone was noticeably uncomfortable with the implications. Most of all Scotty, who DID in fact question Starfleet's collective sanity and ultimately resigned in protest.

I'm going to see the movie in 3D again tonight so I'll let you know if I notice anything new about the tubes.
Old May 28 2013, 03:28 AM   #18
blssdwlf
Commodore

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
They definitely weren't pre-loaded. The tubes had to be loaded one at a time by a crane when the ship was in firing position. Seems the torpedoes themselves were actually stored in the cargo/shuttle bays close to the launch tubes, which were themselves in fairly awkward positions hardly appropriate for weapons stations.
If that was the case, why couldn't they just re-use a smaller number of tubes to fire the torpedoes that had to be manually loaded in the first place? If they were going for an anime-style, fire-everything-at-once-attack shouldn't those tubes already come pre-loaded?
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 07:32 AM   #19
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
If that was the case, why couldn't they just re-use a smaller number of tubes to fire the torpedoes that had to be manually loaded in the first place? If they were going for an anime-style, fire-everything-at-once-attack shouldn't those tubes already come pre-loaded?
Upon additional viewing -- paying special attention to that scene -- we hear that area of the ship being repeatedly referred to as the "weapons bay," which IMO implies that those tubes (which I still believe are a relatively recent addition to the ship) were designed to carry various missiles/mines/drones and other weapons other than a standard photon torpedo (actually, I'm not sure that the Khanpedos were ever referred to as photon torpedoes in this movie).

Visually, I only counted between 9 and 12 launch tubes on either side, bunched together in groups of three, and I cannot be sure if there were three or four such groups. Reloading seems to take only five to ten seconds with the crane, however, and considering that the intended target of those torpedoes is a single fugitive hiding in an abandoned Klingon city, loading the torpedoes to be fired in salvos doesn't present that much of a problem, especially if those torpedoes are really as long range and undetectable as Marcus claims they are.
Old May 29 2013, 04:12 AM   #20
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Upon additional viewing -- paying special attention to that scene -- we hear that area of the ship being repeatedly referred to as the "weapons bay," which IMO implies that those tubes (which I still believe are a relatively recent addition to the ship) were designed to carry various missiles/mines/drones and other weapons other than a standard photon torpedo (actually, I'm not sure that the Khanpedos were ever referred to as photon torpedoes in this movie).
I'm reasonably certain that they were referred to as photorps at least once - probably in the scene with Marcus introducing them.

I was actually somewhat relieved they didn't try to introduce quantum torpedoes early!

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 09:32 PM   #21
publiusr
Commodore

In STIII, it might be nice to have someone indicate that these might be better termed drones (from SFB).
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 08:54 PM   #22
gerbil
Captain

ATimson wrote: View Post
I'm reasonably certain that they were referred to as photorps at least once - probably in the scene with Marcus introducing them.

I was actually somewhat relieved they didn't try to introduce quantum torpedoes early!
Marcus describes them as a new type of photon torpedo.
"Life should be revered simply for the fact that we need to be thankful that we are currently able to consciously appreciate what we are going through right now. ... This moment that we're having right now is highly significant." -Maynard James Keenan
gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 07:56 PM   #23
jadcox@mindspring.com
Commodore

View jadcox@mindspring.com's Twitter Profile

So what, then, is the prominent launcher on the neck for? Firing torpedoes forward while at warp?
jadcox@mindspring.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 08:34 PM   #24
Timo
Admiral

Although I still haven't seen the movie, reviews would seem to indicate that the "new torpedo tubes" were pure obfuscation - they were part of the Marcus scheme to blackmail Khan into continuing to serve Starfleet interests. Their only actual function was to provide an excuse for Marcus to smuggle the 72 helpless Augments aboard the ship and then threaten to kill them unless Khan cooperated.

The "old" tube in the neck probably always provided the usual range of services, including all the sublight and warp launches needed. The "new tubes" might have been sublight-only deployment chutes from the sound of it, superficially plausible for use in planetary precision bombardment (the role Marcus claimed they would serve in the Khan hunt), so Kirk would buy the lie easily enough.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:23 AM   #25
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
Although I still haven't seen the movie, reviews would seem to indicate that the "new torpedo tubes" were pure obfuscation - they were part of the Marcus scheme to blackmail Khan into continuing to serve Starfleet interests. Their only actual function was to provide an excuse for Marcus to smuggle the 72 helpless Augments aboard the ship and then threaten to kill them unless Khan cooperated.

The "old" tube in the neck probably always provided the usual range of services, including all the sublight and warp launches needed. The "new tubes" might have been sublight-only deployment chutes from the sound of it, superficially plausible for use in planetary precision bombardment (the role Marcus claimed they would serve in the Khan hunt), so Kirk would buy the lie easily enough.

Timo Saloniemi
I prefer to think that Enterprise carries at least two different types of torpedoes on board, necessitating at least two different types of tubes. The side-mounted ones are probably used -- under normal circumstances -- to launch drones, mines, or short-range point defense interceptors.
Old June 20 2013, 03:52 AM   #26
throwback
Captain

The Enterprise has an additional launcher on the underside of the engineering hull. This launcher faces to the aft of the ship.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote