RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 762
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 139 19.39%
A 157 21.90%
A- 98 13.67%
B+ 77 10.74%
B 58 8.09%
B- 27 3.77%
C+ 38 5.30%
C 37 5.16%
C- 23 3.21%
D+ 11 1.53%
D 13 1.81%
D- 6 0.84%
F 33 4.60%
Voters: 717. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27 2013, 09:06 PM   #3751
throwback
Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Someone mentioned above Mexico City (Tenochtitlan). This city would be typical of ancient cities where the center of the city was dominated by a temple.

http://godshisstory.blogspot.com/200...ondon-and.html
http://interamericaninstitute.org/Te...ego_Rivera.JPG
http://www.trekbbs.com/http:/quintes...chtitlan11.jpg
http://http://quintessentialruminati...chtitlan11.jpg

[Converted embedded images to links. Don't hotlink pics from websites which are not yours unless you have been given permission by the site owners to do so. - M']

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 27 2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: hotlinked images
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 09:07 PM   #3752
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Since we're dealing with an alien race, I'll cut Abrams, Orci & Kurtzman some slack.
Old May 27 2013, 09:18 PM   #3753
Belz...
Fleet Captain

siskokid888 wrote: View Post
Well, late to the party, and I just can't make a determination about the movie (I gave it a B-). A lot of you, from the poll anyway, seemed to really like it. I can't decide, maybe I will have a better take after my second viewing.
Wait, you didn't like it much but gave it a B- ?

I never understood this lettre grading system. How would B- be on a 1-10 scale ? Because for me, 6 is good, and 7 is very good. 8 is excellent, 9 a masterpiece, and 10 perfect or damn well near.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 09:50 PM   #3754
AnnLouise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Anyway, as I mentioned, a lot of you seemed to really like this movie. Would you point out to me what you saw as making it so enjoyable to you?
For me, the character interactions overcame my misgivings over the use of Khan and other annoyances (Nimoy cameo, magic blood that eliminates death, the giggle-inducing KHaahhnnn!). Now that I'm used to the fact that this Kirk and Spock aren't exactly like "my" version, I'm enjoying seeing the friendship develop. (Though most of ST09, I kept thinking "Please stop fighting!!)

I enjoyed seeing Kirk face the no-win situation, and actually do what had to be done without any way to avoid the consequences. Well, other characters did that for him, but Kirk didn't know that when he made his choice at the end of the film.
Old May 27 2013, 10:36 PM   #3755
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

J. Lester wrote: View Post
Tupelo, MS
Hail to The King!
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 11:39 PM   #3756
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

Belz... wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
If you've got the glass ball that lets you see they don't turn into a world full of Reavers or Breen or Imperial space nazis, that can justify intervention, assuming you are willing to play God with history. But revealing the giant metal bird to them at an impressionable time is monstrous.

Kirk might be condemning them to millions of years of religious strife, and I don't know that is better than letting life evolve anew there after the volcano plays out (assuming it really killed everyone, which sounds a little O-T-T ... is the volcano going to cause non-nuclear winter for the whole world?)
I disagree. You agree that the Prime Directive is ridiculous. I say, not because it's unenforceable, but because it's a silly principle. What does "destiny" mean anyway ? I agree you shouldn't make contact with non-warp-capable planets, but between letting all life on a world die, I think that was a minor offense. Calling it "monstrous" is a bloated hyperbole, at best.

Would you have let them die ? Not me.
I also agree: The PD (although a noble concept) is utterly ridiculous when it becomes dogma, if adhering to it means the obvious extinction of an alien race.

In principle: the PD is an ideal to strive for, but in reality (and in the situation Kirk and his crew were facing) the PD is not infalliable: as in the case being discussed, adhering to it would have resulted in the destruction of an alien race. What would be the point in sparing an alien race from being 'influenced' by external contact, only to watch them be destroyed anyway?

Contentious issue I realise, but in the case of Into Darkness, saving the planet from destruction was the right thing to do - and few would argue differently in that instance.

'Monstrous' would have been observing and doing nothing, IMHO.
saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 12:00 AM   #3757
Mad Jack Wolfe
Lieutenant Commander

AnnLouise wrote: View Post
Anyway, as I mentioned, a lot of you seemed to really like this movie. Would you point out to me what you saw as making it so enjoyable to you?
For me, the character interactions overcame my misgivings over the use of Khan and other annoyances (Nimoy cameo, magic blood that eliminates death, the giggle-inducing KHaahhnnn!). Now that I'm used to the fact that this Kirk and Spock aren't exactly like "my" version, I'm enjoying seeing the friendship develop. (Though most of ST09, I kept thinking "Please stop fighting!!)

I enjoyed seeing Kirk face the no-win situation, and actually do what had to be done without any way to avoid the consequences. Well, other characters did that for him, but Kirk didn't know that when he made his choice at the end of the film.
This sums things up nicely in my case as well. It was a fun popcorn flick.
Old May 28 2013, 12:31 AM   #3758
Belz...
Fleet Captain

saddestmoon wrote: View Post
I also agree: The PD (although a noble concept) is utterly ridiculous when it becomes dogma, if adhering to it means the obvious extinction of an alien race.
Right. The point of the Prime Directive is to prevent starfleet personel from doing the kind of crimes that we saw on TOS, not to watch civilizations die off.

I mean, what if the Enterprise was in orbit of a planet and someone with a primitive telescope managed to spot it and founded a religion based on it ? Would that be a violation ? Would Kirk have to go down and kill the guy before he spreads the word ? Of course not.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old May 28 2013, 12:35 AM   #3759
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

I don't give a shit about the Prime Directive. The original Star Trek TV series established this rule primarily as something to give a nod to as Kirk proceeded to violate it. nuTrek treats it very much in the spirit of TOS, as is appropriate.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 12:55 AM   #3760
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
The original Star Trek TV series established this rule primarily as something to give a nod to as Kirk proceeded to violate it.
It also served as an obstacle to keep them from just beaming away when a situation got out-of-hand planetside.
Old May 28 2013, 01:02 AM   #3761
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

We finally got to see it today, in Glorious Imax 3D.

I'm sure there's nothing original I can add after 100 pages of posts....

We all enjoyed it very much. My wife and I took our 10 year old son to see it, and he said it was "great."

Benedict Cumberpatch (what a moniker to be saddled with!) is mesmerizing. I couldn't take my eyes off him. His voice is really a great acting tool.

I was already spoiled to who he was, and I guess that part was fine. Joining him to Section 31 was an interesting choice. I've always liked Peter Weller.

The action and FX were out of this world. Lots of eye candy.

Good humor. Nice development in the relationships. Not sure I liked the switch between Kirk and Spock at the end.

Anyway, overall a fun rollercoaster ride, much like ST09. Not a lot of deep meaning to take from it, but then again, a superior summer popcorn film.

Now I hope the next one is a completely original story.

B+
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 01:05 AM   #3762
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I don't give a shit about the Prime Directive.
But... but.. it's the PRIME directive, Buzz !

Old May 28 2013, 01:41 AM   #3763
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Belz... wrote: View Post
But... but.. it's the PRIME directive, Buzz !
Okay, let the Prime Universe keep it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:00 AM   #3764
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Tough luck. It's in the new one, too !

Old May 28 2013, 02:04 AM   #3765
AnnLouise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

That should've been Kirk's reply to Pike's "what have you learned from this?"