RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,435
Posts: 5,507,281
Members: 25,131
Currently online: 569
Newest member: Robert100a

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 27 2013, 12:48 PM   #46
Irvy
Commander
 
Location: N Ireland
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Doctor Who is a story about time travel, and he goes into Earth's past a lot. In Earth's past, there was a lot of blatant racism. It's only by acknowledging and showing how bad things actually were that you can highlight how far we have come in setting that right.

Black people weren't the only slaves in our past. For many years, Vikings raided coastal villages all around the British Isles and beyond, taking white people and selling them as slaves.

If we ignore history, we are doomed to repeat it. Many of us even now are treated like and feel like slaves just trying to make ends meet. Sure, we have the luxury nowadays of locking ourselves in our comfy cages at night, but we still lock ourselves in, and we still don't have the freedom to wander off and do as we please, if we have the money to do it we can't, we have to be at work, and if we don't have a job to be a slave to, we don't have the money to do what we want.
Irvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 02:07 PM   #47
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I disagree it is "simple fact" that most couples are interracial.
Is it important?
Yes because white males are the most oppressed group in the world and someone has to speak out for them!
Heh. I find the whole thing a bit puzzling, to say the least, because this thread made me realize that I am in an interracial relationship, and that the thought had never crossed my mind before, so maybe it's not that big of a deal.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 06:30 PM   #48
CaptainWacky
Rear Admiral
 
Location: CaptainWacky
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

DalekJim wrote: View Post
This is such bullshit. Why is society so precious about skin colour? I couldn't care less.
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Yeah, it was ludicrously forced in its attempt at political correctness. I'm struggling to think of same-race couples at all. Even Donna's fiance in The Runaway Bride was black.
So do you care or not?
__________________
Let's make sure history never forgets the name Big Matty.
Troll Kingdom
CaptainWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 07:40 PM   #49
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I disagree it is "simple fact" that most couples are interracial.
And if I had said what you think I said, then maybe you'd have a point, the thing is, I didn't say what you thought and thus, you don't have a point. Just a recap, what I wrote was this:

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
The BBC had a thread of programmes about this a year or so ago, the reason was because The United Kingdom has the highest percentage or has one of the highest percentages of inter-racial couples in the World.

So in the case of RTD, it wasn't being shoehorned it nor was it pandering to the PC brigade, it was simple fact and he was acknowledging this.
Of course, not all relationships are inter-racial, but due to the way the Empire fucked so many people over around the globe and because of the *brilliant way we let anyone from our former colonies to come and stay, we do have a very high-percentage of them which is one of only a few things that make me proud of this wee nation.

Also, given that RTD based most of his contemporary stories in modern day London, which is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the World, the odds of a inter-racial couple being involved is pretty high. Where as if it's based in rural Gloucestershire or here in Somerset, the odds are there won't be because it doesn't have the ethnic diversity.

As for Doctor Who being racist, what a load of bollocks.

*In no way is this a sarcastic comment.
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel

Last edited by Dimesdan; May 27 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 09:18 PM   #50
ROBE
Commander
 
ROBE's Avatar
 
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Just goes to show no matter how hard you try and be balanced in creating a work of fiction, somebody will find and scream discrimination.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 09:28 PM   #51
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Dimesdan.

When you imagine this load of bollocks... What colours are they?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 09:57 PM   #52
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Lumos Ziyal's Avatar
 
Location: with Tora Ziyal
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I find the whole thing a bit puzzling, to say the least, because this thread made me realize that I am in an interracial relationship, and that the thought had never crossed my mind before, so maybe it's not that big of a deal.
I might've been skeptical that the thought had really never crossed your mind, except... I was at least thirty when it occurred to me that my Venezuelan godmother was "Hispanic."

Regarding the racism charge: I haven't watched that much Doctor Who, but one of the first things I noticed was how many interracial couples there were.
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:11 PM   #53
Irvy
Commander
 
Location: N Ireland
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Of course, having worked in care for many years, I could also point out that there's never been a companion with a disability. None of the Doctor's regenerations have ever had Down's Syndrome (although it could be argued that the Doctor has Asperger's Syndrome). And that TARDIS, not exactly wheelchair friendly, is it?
Irvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:27 PM   #54
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Irvy wrote: View Post
Of course, having worked in care for many years, I could also point out that there's never been a companion with a disability. None of the Doctor's regenerations have ever had Down's Syndrome (although it could be argued that the Doctor has Asperger's Syndrome). And that TARDIS, not exactly wheelchair friendly, is it?
Well as a guy with a disability and who uses a wheelchair, no matter what the uber-positives always say, there ARE certain things we can't do. We are not able to run with the Doctor and escape Daleks or Cybermen. There should NOT be a disabled companion because of this. Not a main one, anyway.

And while I'm sure the TARDIS can make itself accessible for the needs of its inhabitants, even I wouldn't want to see that.

But I think it would be nice to see people in wheelchairs on the show. People who work, or assist the Doctor at UNIT or in a lab. Or even show one of the companions with a boyfriend or girlfriend in a wheelchair. That would be nice to see. THAT is something under-respresented on TV and movies that I would like to see more of.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:48 PM   #55
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Lumos Ziyal's Avatar
 
Location: with Tora Ziyal
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

^ Yes, that would be good.

And I like the term "uber-positives." There are a bunch of them in cancer-land, too.
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:54 PM   #56
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^ Yes, that would be good.

And I like the term "uber-positives." There are a bunch of them in cancer-land, too.
Positive is better than negative, but for every picture I see of someone in a wheelchair visiting the Pyramids or whatever with a caption that says "I can do ANYTHING!", I want to say "Sure, but can you hang Christmas lights on the house or get winter clothes down from the attic?"

They hate me.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 12:17 AM   #57
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

"Davros" is not only in a wheel chair but so is every other Dalek we have ever seen except for that tentacle face from the Daleks Take Manhattan.

Or is that not the sort of positive role-modelry you're after?

"You too can exterminate all life in the universe from the comfort of your wheel Chair just like Davros."
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 12:47 AM   #58
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
"You too can exterminate all life in the universe from the comfort of your wheel Chair just like Davros."
Eat it, HoverRound! Davros has you beat. Who needs to see the Grand Canyon when you can exterminate all life in the universe?
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 03:59 AM   #59
Prince of Space
Lieutenant
 
Location: Orbiting
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Obviously, it would help if people had more of a sense of humor (and a sense of perspective). It would also be great if any two of us could agree on exactly what constititutes racism. There seem to be as many definitions as there are humans on this planet.
Prince of Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 04:29 AM   #60
Maestro
Vice Admiral
 
Maestro's Avatar
 
Location: Maestro
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

The book was written by a consortium of 23 academics and bloggers, primarily Americans, partially Australian, and with only a few Brits. The fact that a bunch of non-British folks are bitching about a British show lends them precious little credibility to begin with. Add to that that they're academics and feminist issue bloggers, I just really don't think the book should be taken seriously.

If they wanted to bitch about NCIS being racist, by all means, but Doctor Who? Sorry, not your country folks. STFU/GTFO.
__________________
"When Christians use Jesus for hate-mongering, they ruin Jesus for the rest of us." -Me.
Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.