TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.17%
A 161 21.44%
A- 101 13.45%
B+ 83 11.05%
B 59 7.86%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.06%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.46%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 39 5.19%
Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27 2013, 03:13 PM   #3736
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Yeah, you've got to figure that most fans account for more than one ticket sold. I've gone to three showings with six people, and you could only call three of them other than me "fans."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 03:45 PM   #3737
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
There's nothing interesting about that kind of fanboy ranting, sorry. Since reviews are running about nine to one positive for this flick, whatever little damage a bad fan review might do to some hypothetical movie is completely meaningless here.
Interestingly, along with high critical ratings and fan ratings in general, the site known for STID "bashing" rates an 8.3 from audiences, and ST09 is rated an 8.1.
Old May 27 2013, 04:22 PM   #3738
Merry Stripmas
Fleet Captain

View Merry Stripmas's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Merry Stripmas Send a message via AIM to Merry Stripmas Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Merry Stripmas Send a message via Yahoo to Merry Stripmas

I went to see STID with my best friend at Saturday's 1:10 pm showing in Jasper, AL, and, including myself and my friend, there were exactly six people in the theater. For the sake of the prestige of the Star Trek brand, I was hoping the film would do better than this.
Old May 27 2013, 05:10 PM   #3739
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Old May 27 2013, 05:36 PM   #3740
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

That 1-pm-on-Saturday Jasper, AL constituency is harsh, man.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 07:01 PM   #3741
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

How do we know that's not a significant percentage of the total population of Jasper, AL?
Old May 27 2013, 07:40 PM   #3742
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

throwback wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill

If you are a fan of Star Trek, then automatically you are a fanboy and a fangirl. This name calling doesn't help anyone.
That wasn't name-calling, and "fanboy ranting" is both a reasonably accurate and a remarkably concise description of the content of at least three of the four reviews to which his remark was being addressed.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 08:03 PM   #3743
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

Well, late to the party, and I just can't make a determination about the movie (I gave it a B-). A lot of you, from the poll anyway, seemed to really like it. I can't decide, maybe I will have a better take after my second viewing. Plenty of action, decent humor. Fairly interesting story. I had guessed right about Cumberbatch's identity. As others have mentioned, the whiter than white 'batch playing (SPOILER ALERT)

Kahn took me back a little, but it is a movie after all. I just was hoping for a little more substance. The question is, with studios demanding the big payday from franchises like Trek, will we ever see a truly substantive Trek film.

Anyway, as I mentioned, a lot of you seemed to really like this movie. Would you point out to me what you saw as making it so enjoyable to you? Maybe you could help sway me from thinking it was mediocore to seeing something about it that I missed. Thanks.
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
siskokid888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 08:11 PM   #3744
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

siskokid888 wrote: View Post

Anyway, as I mentioned, a lot of you seemed to really like this movie. Would you point out to me what you saw as making it so enjoyable to you? Maybe you could help sway me from thinking it was mediocore to seeing something about it that I missed. Thanks.
I loved the character growth in this film for Kirk. I loved that they actually took a stand on some issues. I loved the effects. I loved the job Cumberbatch did. I loved the Klingons. I loved the action-sequences.

Does the story have some issues? Yes. Absolutely.
Old May 27 2013, 08:17 PM   #3745
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

I loved the character growth in this film for Kirk. I loved that they actually took a stand on some issues. I loved the effects. I loved the job Cumberbatch did. I loved the Klingons. I loved the action-sequences.

Does the story have some issues? Yes. Absolutely.
I actually agree with you on all these points. I really am having a hard time pointing out what bugged me about this film as compared to ST09, which I loved. Its like something was missing, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe my second viewing will enlighten me.
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
Old May 27 2013, 08:21 PM   #3746
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I actually agree with you on all these points. I really am having a hard time pointing out what bugged me about this film as compared to ST09, which I loved. Its like something was missing, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe my second viewing will enlighten me.
I think it might have been stronger if they had dug a bit more in Marcus' plan and Khan's backstory. But doing either of those things would've simply opened them up to more criticism if it didn't exactly match what some people had in their heads.

So that is kind of a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario.
Old May 27 2013, 08:23 PM   #3747
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yep. Suppose they'd showed a couple of seconds of a Botany Bay that didn't resemble the TOS model enough to satisfy the hard core. Sacrilege!
Old May 27 2013, 08:32 PM   #3748
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

I think it might have been stronger if they had dug a bit more in Marcus' plan and Khan's backstory. But doing either of those things would've simply opened them up to more criticism if it didn't exactly match what some people had in their heads.

So that is kind of a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario.
Also true. I think the problem is that I didn't feel an emotional payoff from this film like I got from the first one. Kirk's "death" scene didn't do it for me, nor did the ensuing hospital room scene. I got a little charge from the beginning of the five year mission. That may be where I feel the movie fell a little short.
Old May 27 2013, 08:38 PM   #3749
Merry Stripmas
Fleet Captain

View Merry Stripmas's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Merry Stripmas Send a message via AIM to Merry Stripmas Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Merry Stripmas Send a message via Yahoo to Merry Stripmas

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
How do we know that's not a significant percentage of the total population of Jasper, AL?
In 2010 Jasper had about 14,000 people. That is over twice the population of the little town I live in. There's no movie theater in my town, so it was a choice of driving to Jasper or Tupelo, MS. One of the theater employees told my friend that STID wasn't doing that well. I saw the 2009 film at the same theater, and there was a much larger crowd at the Saturday afternoon matinee I attended then.
Old May 27 2013, 08:43 PM   #3750
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Fortunately, the national numbers belie your experience in Jasper.