To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 26 2013, 04:04 PM   #16
ConRefit79
Captain

Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Belz... wrote: View Post
Excelsior would have been pretty cool.
"The Excelsior? Why in God's name would you want that bucket of bolts?"

I remember a drawing of the refit design, with transwarp nacelles. It looked pretty cool.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 06:04 PM   #17
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
Amasov wrote: View Post
I recently saw a 1986 interview with the cast around the time The Voyage Home came out and they were being interviewed on the set of the Enterprise. As we all know, the Enterprise doesn't make an appearance in the movie until the last two minutes of the movie.

So that just leads me to ask, was it a surprise ending or did you know the Enterprise was going to return?
I don't know if it was a surprise to me. But I was dissapointed a bit. I would've prefered a different ship. I've never been too keen on maintaining the statu quo in a show.

Excelsior would have been pretty cool.
But then what ship does Sulu later captain?
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 08:19 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
I remember a drawing of the refit design, with transwarp nacelles. It looked pretty cool.
I remember that picture but can't remember where I saw it. Thought it was Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise but it wasn't.
Old May 26 2013, 09:30 PM   #19
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Nah, the guide mentions that 1701-A has transwarp but that's it.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 10:01 PM   #20
SeerSGB
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I remember that picture but can't remember where I saw it. Thought it was Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise but it wasn't.
Was it this one?
Old May 26 2013, 10:15 PM   #21
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Was it this one?
Looks similar. But the one I saw was pointed the other way and the lines didn't seem quite as thick.

But it's probably been twenty-five years. So that could be the exact same one.
Old May 26 2013, 10:26 PM   #22
publiusr
Commodore

I was hoping it wasn't Excelsior, but that it was a bit more advanced than the refit. Cranked nacelle supports, Raan type nacelles or something--three torpedoe tubes--just some tweaks to Probert's work.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 10:26 PM   #23
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Ugh. Those nacelles don't belong on that ship. I'd prefer something like this:

That's by me, by the way.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old May 26 2013, 11:14 PM   #24
ConRefit79
Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
That's the one. But the saucer didn't have the changes this one does. Wouldn't mind a mod for the Polar lights 1/1000 kit to make one.
Old May 27 2013, 01:41 AM   #25
Dantrek
Ensign

I was 14 when Voyage home came out and I had no idea they would get the same designed ship. I thought when the music boldly came on and they were rising above the Excelsior the name would have been changed to Enterprise. I had no idea another constitution class refit was on the other side.
Dantrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 05:24 PM   #26
davejames
Vice Admiral

Something I've always wondered: Was the Ent-A supposed to be an all new ship, or just another Constitution Refit that got renamed "Enterprise" for Kirk's benefit?

I think most people assume the former (given the dialogue in TFF), but it seems weird to me that Starfleet would commission a complete recreation of a refit that was built out of another ship. In that case, why not just recreate the original TOS-E?
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 05:37 PM   #27
ConRefit79
Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
Something I've always wondered: Was the Ent-A supposed to be an all new ship, or just another Constitution Refit that got renamed "Enterprise" for Kirk's benefit?
There is nothing said about it in canon. But Roddenberry is quoted as saying the Yorktown was renamed Enterprise. I assume she was scheduled to be decommissioned. But to honor Kirk and his crew she was rechristened Enterprise 1701-A.
Old May 27 2013, 06:18 PM   #28
Belz...
Fleet Captain

The almost-canon sources state it was indeed the Yorktown, but dialogue from TFF (Scotty's "They don't make them like they used to") implies it's "new". One more problem with canon ! :P

Old May 27 2013, 06:44 PM   #29
Amasov
Rear Admiral

I remember having a discussion here on this subject some time ago.

There was a theory that it is the Yorktown, briefly mentioned in IV. This can also explain the system failures the Enterprise is facing in V; suggesting the ship's computers were still affected by the probe's wave. My only issue with that is, I find it weird that an entire crew would be reassigned and the ship renamed, all for Kirk and crew's benefit, but I don't know how the military works in that sense, so. But it may also explain why that Enterprise had the shortest lifespan, since she was decommissioned in VI.

But even with the decommissioning of the Enterprise-A in VI, I wonder if it was about that time the Constitution class ships were taken out of service.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 06:59 PM   #30
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Dialogue in ST V suggests that it was a new ship. There is nothing on-screen to suggest otherwise. What Roddenberry said doesn't matter because he had nothing to do with the production of the movies at this point and just liked to make statements like that so nobody would forget he was there.

It doesn't seem all that mysterious. A ship was being built when the 1701 was scuttled. After the destruction of the 1701 it was descided to name the new ship "Enterprise." While ship names are often chosen even before construction is started, it is not uncommon for names to be changed before actual commissioning. In fact, the descision to name her Enterprise may have come at the same time Star Fleet decided to decommission the 1701 before Kirk stole her.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote