Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 25 2013, 05:12 AM   #106
Lord Garth
Captain

Re: Would you like a bsg style reboot of Star trek?

Faria wrote: View Post
I was disappointed by 2009 reboot of star trek because i hoped it was an opportunity to put off the most naif part of star trek. Unfortunately the reboot highlight the part of star trek i don't like.

I'd like tp see a reboot of star trek like the reboot of BSG:

-no alien
-no superweapons
-no magic technology (transponder,replicator,universal translator)
-no particle of the week
-with more internal coherence
-no time travel
ecc

and you?
One of the great things about nBSG was that it was different from Star Trek. Different being the key.

I don't think franchises should emulate each other to the point of interchangeability. It's much better that they play to the strengths of what makes them unique.

You can't have Star Trek without aliens.

As far as the technology, what seems magical today might not be hundreds of years from now.

I'm not saying I think Star Trek is an accurate portrayal of what the future will be. I'm definitely not saying that. But only projecting forward based on today is equally inaccurate. Progress can move backwards, forwards, or sideways. A new factor can come in that changes everything. Something that we think might be the wave of the future might only go so far. A technology might emerge that we might think of as ridiculous today.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 04:31 PM   #107
sonak
Vice Admiral

sj4iy wrote: View Post
Not really. BSG (the new one) is incredibly depressing, there's very little humor in it and even though we own the box set, I have yet to rewatch it because it's such a downer. Star Trek was never like that, and I wouldn't want it to be.

this

One of the many great things about Trek is its rewatchability. Though I think nuBSG is a "good" show, I have no desire to watch it again.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 12:14 PM   #108
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
And did I just read that you don't like horizontal turbolifts ??
yes, i don't like it, they are dumb
Well, why ? I mean, the ships are so big. Why not just remove lifts altogether and replace them with stairs and ladders, right ? I mean, why should the crew have to walk or run all the way down a deck ?

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:50 PM   #109
Faria
Lieutenant

And did I just read that you don't like horizontal turbolifts ??
yes, i don't like it, they are dumb
Well, why ? I mean, the ships are so big. Why not just remove lifts altogether and replace them with stairs and ladders, right ? I mean, why should the crew have to walk or run all the way down a deck ?
not really:

the tos enterprise has a saucer of 128 meters; my school is about the same lenght,and we don't have orizontall lift, we just walk.

e.g. the bathrooms are about 80 meters away by my classroom, we walk to go in bathroom and we spend few second to do this
Faria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 08:35 PM   #110
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

BSG was a great series but rebooting Trek using BSG's restrictions would make Trek into something other than Trek so my answer is...no.
Old May 27 2013, 08:37 AM   #111
Lynx
Rear Admiral

BSG reboot of Star Trek?

No! No! Never!

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 09:50 AM   #112
Unimatrix Zero
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not really. BSG (the new one) is incredibly depressing, there's very little humor in it and even though we own the box set, I have yet to rewatch it because it's such a downer. Star Trek was never like that, and I wouldn't want it to be.
This is spot on. Some of us cannot stomach the latest trend to Emo-ize every TV show.

Star Trek is a pretty upbeat program which is a huge part of its enduring success. It's simply fantastic to watch an imaginative show that enables you to escape the crap of everyday life and have a bit of a laugh with its subtle humour.

This could partly explain why Enterprise was such a flop - it was venturing unsuccessfully into BSG territory.
Unimatrix Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 02:47 PM   #113
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Unimatrix Zero wrote: View Post
This is spot on.
I agree.

This is one of the prime reasons that for years I deliberately didn't watch the Dominion War seasons of DS9 (eventually I did).

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 04:35 PM   #114
Belz...
Fleet Captain

the tos enterprise has a saucer of 128 meters; my school is about the same lenght,and we don't have orizontall lift, we just walk.
The new Enterprise is much bigger, and you need to travel through several decks to go where you're going. Airports have conveyors for people, why not turbolifts on starships ? You haven't given any reason why they are dumb.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old May 27 2013, 04:55 PM   #115
Faria
Lieutenant

The new Enterprise is much bigger, and you need to travel through several decks to go where you're going. Airports have conveyors for people, why not turbolifts on starships ? You haven't given any reason why they are dumb.
1- the new enterprise sucks

2- turbolift and conveyors are to different things

I think that 2 crossed converoys in the largest saucer deck and mayby one for deck in the enginering section could be more realistic
Faria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 06:11 PM   #116
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Unimatrix Zero wrote: View Post
This is spot on. Some of us cannot stomach the latest trend to Emo-ize every TV show.
Ugh, can we please make a distinction between 'Depressing' and 'Emo'?

Not everything that's negative, that shows an unhappy side to the human condition, that expresses angsty emotions is 'Emo'.

Something's only Emo if you have no legitimate reason to be depressed and emotional, which the cast of BSG clearly did.

It's true though, BSG is less rewatchable than other shows because it's less fun. It had its share of humorous scenes but most of the series is a constant stream of death.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:14 PM   #117
Belz...
Fleet Captain

1- the new enterprise sucks
That is completely irrelevant. It is and it is bigger, so quick transportation horizontally makes sense.

2- turbolift and conveyors are to different things
Not in function they aren't. They both allow people to move from one point to another within a structure with minimal effort. Moreso in the case of the lifts.

I think that 2 crossed converoys in the largest saucer deck and mayby one for deck in the enginering section could be more realistic
More realistic compared to what ? You have provided no reason that turbolifts are unrealistic.

Old May 27 2013, 10:33 PM   #118
Third Nacelle
Captain

^He's claimed a number of Star Trek technologies are unrealistic, hasn't given reasons for any of those either.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:48 PM   #119
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I don't want Trek to be realistic. I get enough realism out of real life.
Old May 27 2013, 11:12 PM   #120
horatio83
Commodore

I like BSG for what it is but I don't think that the authoritarian, military and post 9/11-ish elements of BSG would fit Trek. You can go to the dark side in Trek but only when there is light at the end of the tunnel appearing quickly enough.