Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 27 2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Robert D. Robot
Captain

Re: Missing McCoy (major spoiler)

Maurice wrote: View Post
...I have to ask what the heck Tora Tora Tora has to do with anything here?

As to Sulu, uh, he says he studied fencing. He's not a "thew trained fighter". Plus, Vulcans are stronger than humans, so Spock was the logical choice...well not as logical as sending a whole mess of security, obviously.
I meant to imply that a Star Trek movie is probably not the place to go to see battle scenes and post-battle scenes portrayed realistically. Something like "Tora! Tora! Tora!" (or better yet, "Saving Private Ryan") would be the place to go.

You also misunderstood me. I agree with you that Spock was the person to go to apprehend Khan. Uhura, however, was NOT the person to be sent down afterwards as backup for Spock. In retrospect, I see that I might agree with you about not sending Sulu, either. But surely someone in Security would have been a better choice than Uhura.
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 03:07 PM   #17
Robert D. Robot
Captain

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
If the ship's captain is dying in the aftermath of a battle, maybe the Chief Medical Officer should be there, not the head communications officer who should be getting communications back up and running.
When were communications ever down that they needed to be gotten back up again?

The CMO had a lot of casualties to deal with from the beating the Enterprise took.

I also suspect that Sulu would be a better fighter to beam down to save Spock and apprehend Khan... BUT Uhura IS Spock's girlfriend, after all....!
Yes, and that's precisely why it had to be her. Spock was in a rage and he needed someone whom he loved to pull him back from the brink before he killed Khan, just like he needed Sarek to pull him back in the first film when he was attacking Kirk.

I am not so happy with the familiarity that goes on between Uhura and Kirk...
They've known each other since before the Academy, she's obviously become better friends with Kirk over the past year (as has Spock and Kirk), and he was just demoted for his actions stemming from saving her boyfriend's life. They've got good reason to have more familiar banter.
With reflection, I will agree that McCoy would more logically be needed in Sick Bay. To have him run down to Engineering would only serve to amp up the drama in the scene... which is why the writers had Uhura run down there when she should realistically remain at her post, given the situation (even if communications had been restored).

I don't feel Spock had to be "pulled back from the brink", just stunned, along with Khan, by a person more qualified in fighting than Uhura. Dramatically, this would be -I admit- not very satisfying, but sending Uhura down -alone- to intervene in a fight on top of a Coruscant aerial barge where a "Superman" is possibly in the process of killing Spock is not a good idea. But this is nitpicking. I know why the needs of the Drama outweigh the needs of the Logic!

... And I do understand why Kirk & Uhura are closer in this Universe. I misspoke in that I don't like the familiarity. I dislike it when Uhura is acting more a petulant teenager while she is on the job, rather than a trained professional.

I will acknowledge, however, that my suggestions would sap the drama out of these scenes! As I said before, I can nitpick but still like the movie and still defend (overall) what is happening in this new Universe!
Old May 27 2013, 03:52 PM   #18
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Uhura running behind Spock, however, simply because she "is his girlfriend" is where I have a problem. Uhura is a bridge officer and she has a job to do, and that job is not running along behind her "boyfriend" every time he makes a move. Uhura running along after Spock in this instance is too far, at least for me.

RE:2. As I said before, I am glad Uhura has an expanded role and her personality is fleshed out more. What I don't care for is her sulking and her petulant behavior on the job. It is 'cute' onscreen and definitely makes the target audience smile, but is not appropriate behavior in the work environment, especially within a quasi-military organization. I guess this is why fraternization is frowned upon in our military, and in our workplaces.
Personally, I don't feel Uhura was in that scene because she was running behind her boyfriend at all, well literally she did run behind him after Scotty requested him to urgently come, but she wanted to know what was so urgent that made Spock take off at a run and I think she wanted to offer her assistance. Now, I don't really know what kind of assistance she was thinking of but we had just seen her stab a Klingon in the leg after he had her by the throat. I think whatever assistance she could have offered would have been needed and appreciated.

Uhura is not "just" a bridge officer at this point---not in her mind or in any of the other officers/crew minds. They see her transporting on away missions and see her close interaction with not only Spock but Kirk/Scotty/Sulu/Bones...she's a leader. It's not surprising that she would take off to run to help just as Spock her commanding officer who happens to also be her boyfriend was running to help in whatever situation he was being called too.

Fraternization is frowned upon and yet it happens all the time. The Fraternization between Spock and Uhura happened a long time ago and he as the senior officer should have been punished but he wasn't and so they are now aboard the Enterprise working together professionally and if Kirk, their Captain, can deal with it...so can I.

I'm an Uhura fan and even if she went running after her "boyfriend" I don't think anyone could think she was running after him to get free cuddles. She's an Officer and a professional and a caring human being (fictional character ) who won't shy away from putting herself in harm's way if it means she can help someone in the process.
seven14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 03:52 PM   #19
sj4iy
Commander

I don't feel Spock had to be "pulled back from the brink", just stunned, along with Khan, by a person more qualified in fighting than Uhura. Dramatically, this would be -I admit- not very satisfying, but sending Uhura down -alone- to intervene in a fight on top of a Coruscant aerial barge where a "Superman" is possibly in the process of killing Spock is not a good idea. But this is nitpicking. I know why the needs of the Drama outweigh the needs of the Logic!

... And I do understand why Kirk & Uhura are closer in this Universe. I misspoke in that I don't like the familiarity. I dislike it when Uhura is acting more a petulant teenager while she is on the job, rather than a trained professional.

I will acknowledge, however, that my suggestions would sap the drama out of these scenes! As I said before, I can nitpick but still like the movie and still defend (overall) what is happening in this new Universe!
Stunning Khan doesn't actually *work*, since, you know, it took Uhura about 10 times just to phase him enough that Spock could FINISH HIM! Mortal Kombat jokes aside, if someone stuns Spock, you've let Khan get away. Uhura was fine going down there, she was probably the only one that could get through to Spock at the moment anyway.

Last edited by sj4iy; May 27 2013 at 04:03 PM.
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 04:32 PM   #20
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

If I want to see behavior appropriate to a work environment...I'll go to work.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 04:59 PM   #21
sj4iy
Commander

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
If I want to see behavior appropriate to a work environment...I'll go to work.
Same here
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 05:05 PM   #22
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander

It made sense to have Uhura there. The relationships had built that way. She's close to Spock and friends Kirk.
Halmirdax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 05:11 PM   #23
Robert D. Robot
Captain

.... and if I want to see behavior consistent with that of a moody, petulant teenage girl, I don't need to rely solely on monitoring a high school study hall. I can now also enjoy it on the Enterprise bridge!

Seriously, I admit that I coming at this with different expectations than some of you folks, and I will simply need to accept the CW take on this crew and "Firefly" authority structure and live with it. Along with the Anheuser Busch engine room.

I AM glad, in general, that Uhura is a more vital member of the team and I will leave it at that!

Last edited by Robert D. Robot; May 27 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old May 27 2013, 05:22 PM   #24
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

.... and if I want to see behavior consistent with that of a moody, petulant teenage girl, I don't need to rely solely on monitoring a high school study hall. I can now also enjoy it on the Enterprise bridge!
Hyperbole much? You won't garner a whole lot of respect for you opinions with ridiculous statements like this.
Old May 27 2013, 05:42 PM   #25
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I got more of a bickering married couple vibe from their arguments. Emotional female getting upset at less emotive, more logical significant other? Been there, done that, got the divorce papers.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 08:27 PM   #26
Robert D. Robot
Captain

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Hyperbole much? You won't garner a whole lot of respect for you opinions with ridiculous statements like this.
I thought the 'winky face' emoticon showed I was joking (to some extent) about the subject, but I may have made an incorrect assumption. I was responding to The Old Mixer's comment (which I took to have a bit of humor in it) about the workplace vs. a fictional movie situation, but I now realize that my response might have had more of a sarcastic edge to it than I intended. Humor. It is a difficult concept.