CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 27 2013, 01:33 PM   #31
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Blu-Ray vs DVD

Blu-ray supports both 23.976 and 24 but the majority of blu-rays are encoded at 23.976 so that 3:2 pulldown can be applied to maintain compatibility with NTSC.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 01:41 PM   #32
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

GameOn wrote: View Post
Blu-ray supports both 23.976 and 24 but the majority of blu-rays are encoded at 23.976 so that 3:2 pulldown can be applied to maintain compatibility with NTSC.
You beat me to it, GameOn! I think I only have maybe two or three movies in my collection encoded at 24fps. Off the top of my head, the only one I can remember for certain is the UK Cine Asia release of Jackie Chan's Little Big Soldier.
Old May 27 2013, 02:41 PM   #33
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Grant wrote: View Post
Don't understand why it's retarded though. ??

I think Blu-rays are smarter actually.
What I meant is that it's pretty silly that this high-tech tool can't sync up perfectly with DVD.

Or is DVD out of sync with the original version ?
Old May 27 2013, 04:31 PM   #34
MacLeod
Admiral

Well as a format Blu-ray is just a fraction slower than DVD and film.

So the theatrical cut of the Blu-ray is 9 seconds longer than the DVD, despite being the exact same cut.

It's the same for all movies, put in a copy of any movie--even ones that came out same day like when Iron Man 3 comes out. The Blu-ray will be 8 to 10 seconds longer than either the movie in theater or the DVD that comes out the same day.

Hopefully 8 to 10 seconds is below your threshold for ruining the pacing!
I would disagree that blu-ray will only be 8-10 seconds longer than a DVD.

I would say blu-ray is about 4% longer than DVD.

Though that might only be PAL regions. NTSC regions might be different.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 04:37 PM   #35
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

I'm in a PAL region so it's difficult for me to check the running time difference between blu-ray and NTSC DVD. The only one I've been able to check is The Avengers which I imported from the US and there is a 6 second difference in the running time. I also tried converting some 23.976 videos to NTSC DVD and it reduces their running time by a several seconds. I'm guessing it's a side effect of NTSC display timings or 3:2 pulldown being added to the video.
Old May 27 2013, 04:41 PM   #36
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I would disagree that blu-ray will only be 8-10 seconds longer than a DVD.
I would say blu-ray is about 4% longer than DVD.
Though that might only be PAL regions. NTSC regions might be different.
That only applies to PAL DVD which they speed up by 4.2% from 24fps to 25fps. This results in a 2 hour movie running about 5 mintues shorted on PAL DVD.
Old May 27 2013, 05:07 PM   #37
MacLeod
Admiral

Which is why I specifed PAL, the OP who made the comment about blu-rays being 8-10 seconds longer, didn't specify he twas talking about NTSC DVD's. I was making the comment/query to clarify that differnces exists depeding on the region.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 12:19 AM   #38
1100 Jason 1001
Lieutenant Commander

Well as a format Blu-ray is just a fraction slower than DVD and film.
As others have said, this is not correct. Almost every Blu-ray runs at 1080p/23.976 frames per second, which works out to the same speed and time as NTSC DVDs, which are natively 480i/59.94 fields per second.

However, it is true that a 23.976p Blu-ray and 59.94i DVD will be slightly faster than a film running at true 24.00p (or the occasional 24.00p Blu-ray).

GameOn wrote: View Post
I'm in a PAL region so it's difficult for me to check the running time difference between blu-ray and NTSC DVD. The only one I've been able to check is The Avengers which I imported from the US and there is a 6 second difference in the running time. I also tried converting some 23.976 videos to NTSC DVD and it reduces their running time by a several seconds. I'm guessing it's a side effect of NTSC display timings or 3:2 pulldown being added to the video.
I believe this is because some DVD players or software video players use a "drop frame" formula to calculate the timecode and running time, while others use "non-drop frame." This results in a difference of about 3.59 seconds per hour.
1100 Jason 1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 10:39 AM   #39
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Well, since TMP is only available on BluRay in its theatrical form, I have to ask: should I stick to my Director's Edition, or go back to the Theatrical one on BluRay ? I don't remember much about that cut.
Old June 2 2013, 02:57 PM   #40
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Belz... wrote: View Post
Well, since TMP is only available on BluRay in its theatrical form, I have to ask: should I stick to my Director's Edition, or go back to the Theatrical one on BluRay ? I don't remember much about that cut.
I would say the majority will go with the DC, but for me, the theatrical is the superior version. I once read a review where the author suggested the DC was effectively an "out" allowing those who secretly liked the film to actually admit it because this new cut is just "so much better paced" blah blah.

To be honest, I get really tired of the "slow Motion Picture" schtick and such like. It's an immense, epic, Science Fiction opus - I love the extended cloud fly-throughs, I love the reaction shots, I love the magnificent score, I love the pace, I love the FX etc, etc.

The Blu-ray is really decent from a technical perspective also, the best transfer in the TOS movie collection set - and comfortably ahead of all antecedent home video releases. TMP on BD is an awesome experience if you have a quality home theatre system. Turn the lights off, pump up the sound and soak it up!

Last edited by LOKAI of CHERON; June 2 2013 at 04:24 PM.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 04:04 PM   #41
Belz...
Fleet Captain

There's also no reason not to keep my special edition DVD if I buy the BluRay.
Old June 2 2013, 04:09 PM   #42
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

I've kept my 2-disc DC DVD set for completest purposes!
Old June 2 2013, 10:34 PM   #43
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Oh I would definitely keep the DE of TMP, since it so unique. It has some great extras that were made for it and of course the DE version of the movie that doesn't exist elsewhere.

I have kept my TMP DE for that reason.

As LOKAI of CHERON said, the Blu-ray presentation is the one to watch for the sheer resolution/detail and the awesome lossless audio track, it really lets Goldsmith's soundtrack breathe.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 11:30 PM   #44
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Yes, TMP is one of the very few movies of my relatively impressive 750+ DVD collection that I wanted to upgrade to HD, specifically because I want to see the Enterprise in hi-def, and it's the only one of those movies I haven't upgraded yet because I wasn't sure about the cut. I think I'll buy it, now.
Old June 20 2013, 03:01 AM   #45
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Aldo wrote: View Post
I grew up on TUC video cassette, so I saw the extended edition quite a bit. So recently when I borrowed the DVD version from the library, I expected to miss the extra scenes, I did not. It actually was a tighter film in that regard, not sure why they added those scenes back in the first place...

As for TWOK, I've watched the DC so much that I imagine I'd miss the extra footage, as in that film, I feel it does add to the over all flow of the film.
I would love to see most of the deleted scenes from the new Star Trek films inserted into a director's cut DVD, including the birth of Spock and the confrontation between Amanda and Sarek over how Spock's being picked on from the first, and whatever was cut out of the current movie.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote