Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 26 2013, 10:38 PM   #61
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Warehouse 13 renewed for fifth/final seasonfinal

At the convention, Rene said he was asked to do an appearance on one of the last six. He said he was going to try to do it, but his schedule was tight.
Old May 26 2013, 10:51 PM   #62
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
It's for the best. I enjoy it, but it's pure 'fluff' and it wouldn't do to outstay it's welcome. Enough's enough...
Okay, I have to ask: What's wrong with "fluff"? Singin' in the Rain is fluff. A Night in the Opera is fluff. North by Northwest is fluff.

There's no rule that says that genre shows have to be deep and serious to deserve a long run. I can think of a lot of "non-fluffy" shows that I'm going to miss less than WH13.
Old May 26 2013, 11:18 PM   #63
Relayer1
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
It's for the best. I enjoy it, but it's pure 'fluff' and it wouldn't do to outstay it's welcome. Enough's enough...
Okay, I have to ask: What's wrong with "fluff"? Singin' in the Rain is fluff. A Night in the Opera is fluff. North by Northwest is fluff.

There's no rule that says that genre shows have to be deep and serious to deserve a long run. I can think of a lot of "non-fluffy" shows that I'm going to miss less than WH13.
OK, this is not a hard and fast thing, but a general feeling I have, but WH13 in this instance, and for another example, Chuck, have pretty much exhausted their permutations by about the third season. You can putter along doing much the same thing for a season or two more but...I enjoyed both, but it was time to go. I felt the same about 'non-fluffy' Lost but was invested enough to stay to the disappointing end whereas I may not with WH13.

I must admit that there is always the chance that the creators will have a resurgence and seasons 6 onwards could be outstanding, but it's unlikely.

YMMV.
Old May 27 2013, 12:54 AM   #64
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Fair enough. Certainly we can all think of shows that were running on fumes near the end, although, personally, I'm not convinced that comedic shows have shorter expiration dates than more dramatic ones.

In general, trying to figure out when to pull the plug is easier said than done. Shows tend to overstay their welcome (hello, X-Files) or end too soon (Firefly, we hardly knew ye), but hitting it just right? That's a rare accomplishment. (I'm having trouble thinking of a good example right now.)

To me, Warehouse 13 still seems to have plenty of juice left, but, of course, that's a judgment call.
Old May 27 2013, 01:02 AM   #65
Relayer1
Commodore

Hitting it just right is the real trick, and rarely done.

Anyone got any examples ?
Old May 27 2013, 01:07 AM   #66
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I admit I was stumped. I briefly considered suggesting TNG, but there's an ongoing thread on this very board debating whether it was cancelled too soon!

Maybe XENA? I loved it dearly, but even I thought it was starting to run out of steam in its final season. Did it end right on time--or one season too late?
Old May 27 2013, 04:10 AM   #67
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Xena ended "on time"... although I wouldn't have minded a reunion movie (or THREE) over the first 5 years after it ended.

"The Pretender" was an example of a show that ended too soon. Although it DID get 2 reunion films, they were NOT enough to satisfy the hard core (me!) fans.

WHY did that old woman have to walk in on Jarod and Miss Parker at THAT moment??????
Old May 27 2013, 09:29 AM   #68
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Warehouse 13 isn't fluff; it's a good, solid adventure show. The term fluff implies useless filler-- that's applicable to infomercials and reality shows.

As for when is the right time to cancel a show-- there is none. There will always be people who want to keep watching and people who don't (although it's a lot easier to stop watching when a show is still on the air than it is to keep watching when it's off).

auntiehill wrote: View Post
At the convention, Rene said he was asked to do an appearance on one of the last six. He said he was going to try to do it, but his schedule was tight.
That would be nice. I'd like to see all the major recurring characters show up at the end if possible.
Old May 27 2013, 01:04 PM   #69
Relayer1
Commodore

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Warehouse 13 isn't fluff; it's a good, solid adventure show. The term fluff implies useless filler-- that's applicable to infomercials and reality shows.
That's certainly not what I intended. I meant lightweight, enjoyable, non too serious family fayre.

I have another word for what you describe. It starts with 'sh'...

Last edited by Relayer1; May 27 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 04:30 PM   #70
danellis
Lieutenant Commander

How about The West Wing (non-genre, obviously) or Buffy?

dJE
danellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 04:54 PM   #71
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

danellis wrote: View Post

dJE
I've heard people argue that Buffy should have ended with Season Five. Not sure I agree with that (we would have lost the musical ep, which is sublime), but I'm not sure anybody thinks Season Seven was the show at its peak . . ..
Old May 27 2013, 09:07 PM   #72
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
That's certainly not what I intended. I meant lightweight, enjoyable, non too serious family fayre.

I have another word for what you describe. It starts with 'sh'...
Gotcha.
Old May 28 2013, 12:11 AM   #73
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

danellis wrote: View Post

dJE
There are good arguments to be made that WW should have ended when Sorkin left after 4 seasons. And other arguments that the show had refound its groove in season 7 and there should have been a Santos or Vinick Whitehouse.

As others have said, you will always find people who think a show lasted too long and people who think the same show should have kept going.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 06:28 PM   #74
McDuff
Lieutenant Commander

Spartacus also ended at the right time on a high note.

Although a spin off series about Ceasar and Roman Triumvirates would be most welcome.
Old May 28 2013, 11:38 PM   #75
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

I've always felt like DS9 ended precisely where it should have. There were more stories it could have told but they'd really been doing so well for several seasons at that point that it's difficult for me to imagine a non-war season successfully scrambling together a similar strength after the creators had gotten so good at the gloom.