Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.13%
A 159 21.57%
A- 99 13.43%
B+ 82 11.13%
B 58 7.87%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.43%
C 38 5.16%
C- 24 3.26%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.75%
Voters: 737. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27 2013, 10:44 AM   #3721
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

i always like the prologues because you had a Kirk involved in the event.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:52 AM   #3722
throwback
Captain

The Classic Trek establishes that a captain does have discretionary powers with the Prime Directive. Captain Kirk took a liberal view of the PD, and he was recognized by later historians for the saving of at least two civilizations from destruction. Captain Picard took a more conservative view of the PD, and he was content to let a civilization die.

I think focusing on the PD as one of the reasons for Captain Kirk's demotion was a misreading of the complexities of the PD by the writers. I think sometimes these writers live in a world of extremes, it has to be one way or another.

(On a side note, I didn't find the civilization on Nibiru convincing. Ancient civilizations built their cities around temples. A lone temple, it didn't read "real" to me.)
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:53 AM   #3723
Belz...
Fleet Captain

indranee wrote: View Post
STID engineering was not filmed at the "brewery". It was filmed at NIF.
Actually it was filmed there _in addition_ to the brewery. Watch closely.

throwback wrote: View Post
If you are a fan of Star Trek, then automatically you are a fanboy and a fangirl.
No. The term "fanboy" refers to someone who is seen as obsessed or at least unealthily concerned with their favourite franchise or passtime. Fan is just someone who enjoys said passtime and is interested in knowing about it.

Considering that the majority of people who have seen the film are Star Trek fans
You just made that up. Source for that statistics, please.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 11:31 AM   #3724
throwback
Captain

Belz...

Paramount said the film's audience was comprised largely of longtime "Star Trek" fans, but was optimistic that good reviews and word of mouth would bring in a broader audience in coming weeks.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94I09K20130519

Paramount was hoping that this film would be like STIV, which attracted the general audience. From what I am reading, it is the fans who are seeing this film multiple times. Paramount was, also, hoping to get the coveted 18-to-25 year olds to see this film, but it is the older crowd who are watching the film.

Trek's demographics tell an interesting story that contributes to that theory: the audience skewed heavily male (64 percent) and older (73 percent over the age of 25). In comparison, the first movie did a better job reaching women (only 60 percent male) and younger audiences (only 65 percent over 25).
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3686&p=.htm

Having Alice Eve in her two-piece was acknowledged earlier this year as a ploy to get these younger males into seats.

I have done research on the terms fanboy and fangirl. I was wrong in what I said. However, the impression I get from research is that these are the people who will enthusiastically support a product, even when it's flawed. They are not the sort of people who would openly criticize a flawed product. In fact, fanboys and fangirls would attack these people for disagreeing with them. This is based on a cursory reading of the definitions supplied for this word at Urban Dictionary. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy)

PC Magazine defines fanboy as,

A male, or "fangirl" if female, who is devoted to a particular product or company. Fanboys are loyal and steadfast in their dedication and opinions.
(http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/58308/fanboy)

I may get things wrong, but generally I make it a habit to research what I write so that I speak not out of ignorance.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 11:33 AM   #3725
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

If the majority of people who saw the film were longtime Star Trek fans, the movie would have been the biggest box office bomb of the year. There simply aren't enough people to keep the film franchise viable with only the longtime fans going to see it. Even Nemesis with its poor showing relied on a hell of a lot more than just fans seeing it.

Plus, that article is discussing the projected turnout in the first weekend before the weekend was even out. Of course there's going to be a higher turnout of fans in the premiere weekend.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 11:41 AM   #3726
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
If you've got the glass ball that lets you see they don't turn into a world full of Reavers or Breen or Imperial space nazis, that can justify intervention, assuming you are willing to play God with history. But revealing the giant metal bird to them at an impressionable time is monstrous.

Kirk might be condemning them to millions of years of religious strife.
That's impossible to predict. The important thing is that they are alive. They are an intelligent species - I see no reason not to trust them to work things out eventually.

One question, though: At one point, Kirk and McCoy are running from the aliens and Kirk suddenly slaps a tapestry with alien-looking writing on it, on a tree. Why does he do this? To slow the aliens down?
It will end up a fantastical myth like all the fantastical myths we happily include in our history. I can't see it having lasting impact. Those that saw it will die off, the story will become hazier and more fantastical and eventually the civilization will develop to the point where most think the story is fiction dreamed up by some primitive who ate too many magic yellow mushrooms.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 11:45 AM   #3727
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Dantrek wrote: View Post
It was too chessy when Spock yells out "Khan!!" I don't why he was, it was Admiral Marcus who crippled the ship and caused the power loss. Khan had just taken control of the Vengeance.
That's what i thought on my first viewing - but on my second I saw that although the Enterprise was damaged and helpless, it was Khan's attack after beaming Kirk, Scotty and Carol back which damaged the warp core and sent the Enterprise falling to Earth.
Old May 27 2013, 12:56 PM   #3728
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
They still publish Cinefex??
Sure do!
http://www.cinefex.com/

Something I've noticed the four screenings I've seen: Kirk stumbles over Carol's surname in the last scene, calling her "Dr Marius". Makes me wonder if it was just Chris Pine slurring, or if the script actually indicated that Carol was again avoiding the Marcus name, being tainted as it is now.
Yes, I notice that every time. It's weird!
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 01:07 PM   #3729
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Belz...

Paramount said the film's audience was comprised largely of longtime "Star Trek" fans, but was optimistic that good reviews and word of mouth would bring in a broader audience in coming weeks.
Assuming this is correct, that's a LOT of fans. Second, that's very bad for the franchise.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old May 27 2013, 01:32 PM   #3730
AnnLouise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

(On a side note, I didn't find the civilization on Nibiru convincing. Ancient civilizations built their cities around temples. A lone temple, it didn't read "real" to me.)
For the purposes of the movie, I think it worked. The first thing that came to mind for me, with that overhead shot, was "Mexico City" - i.e. a giant structure built in the middle of a lake. But I've only seen STID once, so I could be wrong.
Old May 27 2013, 01:46 PM   #3731
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

gornsky wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
They still publish Cinefex??
Sure do!
http://www.cinefex.com/

Something I've noticed the four screenings I've seen: Kirk stumbles over Carol's surname in the last scene, calling her "Dr Marius". Makes me wonder if it was just Chris Pine slurring, or if the script actually indicated that Carol was again avoiding the Marcus name, being tainted as it is now.
Yes, I notice that every time. It's weird!
It's just another nod to TOS. In Gamesters of Triskellion, Kirk mangles Uhura's name (see, there's a minutiae-laden Trekkie in each of us ).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 02:08 PM   #3732
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

And at the end of Wrath of Khan, Kirk shouts, "Go Zulu!" as they warp away from the exploding Genesis device. That annoys me every. Single. Time.
Old May 27 2013, 02:10 PM   #3733
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Nah, you're just mishearing. He says Sulu ! Right ? Right ?

Old May 27 2013, 02:49 PM   #3734
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There aren't enough Trek fans in North America to open a movie at better than about a thirty million dollar weekend. Most folks who saw it last week weren't trekkies.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; May 27 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 03:08 PM   #3735
AnnLouise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
There aren't enough Trek fans in North America to open a movie at better than about a twenty million dollar weekend. Most folks who saw it last week weren't trekkies
We saw it at an 11:50 matinee. Just as Spock asks Carol Marcus "what are you doing here?" the power for the entire theater cut out. In the while-the-time-away discussions, I heard a younger-than-me group talking about the various Trek tv shows. Most memorable line overheard? "I can't watch the original show - it's too cheesy." (Second most memorable? An older guy telling his female companion "See, they have Section 31 and so do we!")

My husband and I are not the target demographic for this series now - it's the guy who doesn't think he'd watch TOS due to it's cheese quotient.

(After about 15 minutes of waiting, the entire multiplex was herded out and given passes. We drove to Waukesha and it took us until 4 p.m. to finish, but we did manage to see the whole movie.)