RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,663
Posts: 5,429,047
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 478
Newest member: AlphaZero


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 26 2013, 11:10 PM   #31
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I've never seen as many interracial couples in any television series as in Doctor Who during the RTD era.
This. Almost every coupling in that era was interracial.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 11:12 PM   #32
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Yeah, it was ludicrously forced in its attempt at political correctness. I'm struggling to think of same-race couples at all. Even Donna's fiance in The Runaway Bride was black.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 11:16 PM   #33
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Yeah, it was ludicrously forced in its attempt at political correctness. I'm struggling to think of same-race couples at all. Even Donna's fiance in The Runaway Bride was black.
Hey now. As a guy in an interracial relationship both back then and now, I think it's good to see it on TV. Given that there are still people in the world that see it as "unnatural", the more the visibility in pop culture, the more widespread acceptance.

Sometimes PC is a good thing.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 11:42 PM   #34
Kai "the spy"
Commodore
 
Kai "the spy"'s Avatar
 
Location: Here.
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Yeah, it was ludicrously forced in its attempt at political correctness. I'm struggling to think of same-race couples at all. Even Donna's fiance in The Runaway Bride was black.
Of the top of my head, series 1:
Rose's parents were both white. In "Rose", Clive and his wife (and children) were white. In "Father's Day", bride and groom were also both white.

Series 2:
"Tooth and Claw" had a white married couple. So had "The Idiot's Lantern". "Love & Monsters" had Elton and Ursula, both white.

Series 3:
The old married lesbian couple in "Gridlock" was also both white. Laszlo and Tallulah in the "Daleks in Manhattan" two-parter were white. In the "Human Nature" two-parter, the humanized white Doctor falls for the white Joan. In "Blink", Larry and Sally are white. The Master's wife in the series 3 finale is also white.

Series 4:
The married couple from "The Unicorn and the Wasp" were white, as were the married couple from "Midnight". Of course, Rose and the half-human Doctor at the end of "Journey's End" are both white.
And, finally, the aforementioned Mickey & Martha scene in "The End of Time".

Also, what sttngfan1701d said.
__________________
Chicks dig red trunks!

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 11:42 PM   #35
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

More visiblity on teleision is a good thing but that kinda PC atmosphere gave the show a pretty sterile vibe at times. It rang pretty false to me having most couples be interracial and it became a cliche, your mileage may vary.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 11:49 PM   #36
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: Equestria
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Classic Who? Yeah, I'm sure there were incidents of racism, as there was for many television programs back in the 1960s. Now, though? I don't see much of what that article is talking about. NuWho seems to go out of it's way to include as many people as possible.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 01:49 AM   #37
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Idris Elba for #12.
__________________
In space, no one can hear you Die Hard.
Captain Nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 02:57 AM   #38
Orac
Admiral
 
Orac's Avatar
 
Location: Megas-Tu
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Oh you heartless racists!
__________________
"Sorry, miss. I was giving myself an oil-job."
- Robby the Robot (Forbidden Planet)

ENTER | TOS Avatar Contest #57: The Enterprise Incident
Orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 07:05 AM   #39
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Portraying lots of interracial couples is awesome and will become the norm; complaining about them is just weird and questionable.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 07:28 AM   #40
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Yeah, it was ludicrously forced in its attempt at political correctness. I'm struggling to think of same-race couples at all. Even Donna's fiance in The Runaway Bride was black.
The BBC had a thread of programmes about this a year or so ago, the reason was because The United Kingdom has the highest percentage or has one of the highest percentages of inter-racial couples in the World.

So in the case of RTD, it wasn't being shoehorned it nor was it pandering to the PC brigade, it was simple fact and he was acknowledging this.
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:02 AM   #41
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

I disagree it is "simple fact" that most couples are interracial.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:35 AM   #42
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Now.

But everyone used to be constrained by geography and racism.

Racism used to be cool.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 11:09 AM   #43
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I disagree it is "simple fact" that most couples are interracial.
Is it important?
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 12:18 PM   #44
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

And he didn't say it was a fact that most couples were interracial, just that the UK had a higher percentage of interracial couples than any other countries.

Anyway Doctor Who racist...give me strength.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 12:26 PM   #45
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I disagree it is "simple fact" that most couples are interracial.
Is it important?
Yes because white males are the most oppressed group in the world and someone has to speak out for them!
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.