Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 27 2013, 09:09 AM   #16
T J
Commodore

Re: Starship Century event

I'm hoping to see the video up on youtube soon.
Old May 29 2013, 03:06 AM   #17
RAMA
Vice Admiral

T J wrote: View Post
I'm hoping to see the video up on youtube soon.

Supposedly it is archived though a cursory scan of the site didn't turn one up.

RAMA
Old June 10 2013, 11:19 PM   #18
Gary7
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Actually our greatest failure as a species is not thinking/planning far enough ahead.
Yeah, it seems we're more adept at letting problems happen (or repeat) and then struggling to solve them with significant stresses, rather than being proactive and averting problems before they have a chance to occur.

When you're solving problems in reactive mode, you don't have the luxury of taking your time and thinking things through thoroughly. While at times having the pressure of limited time can spark innovative and creative solutions that otherwise might not have been achieved without such pressure, I think it's safe to say that with less pressure and more time you have the opportunity to further scrutinize the gamut of possible solutions and choose the best.

What I had posted earlier was more of the "best case scenario". But I do believe it'll likely be more as Crazy Eddie depicted it. We will expand beyond the Earth, but only because we're forced to by other circumstances. Knowing how humanity operates, we're bound to screw things up here on Earth and make life barely tolerable for a good many people. But from a practical standpoint, I think colonizing the ocean is a far more feasible endeavor than trying to colonize the moon or Terra-form Mars.
Old June 19 2013, 09:21 PM   #19
Jadin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

As long as our economy operates basically in short-term more (stock market trading in milliseconds) even reaching out to the oceans seems far-fetched...
Jadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 02:19 PM   #20
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Ok the videos are here:

http://www.starshipcentury.com/blog/...ury-symposium/
Old June 23 2013, 08:24 PM   #21
publiusr
Commodore

Nice to see folks thinking so far forward.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 09:27 PM   #22
T J
Commodore

Awesome RAMA, thanks!
Old June 25 2013, 04:33 AM   #23
RAMA
Vice Admiral

T J wrote: View Post
Awesome RAMA, thanks!

Old June 25 2013, 10:17 AM   #24
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Well that's tonight's viewing sorted. Cheers RAMA.
Old June 25 2013, 04:29 PM   #25
Yminale
Rear Admiral

2 months ago we crossed the 400 ppm of Carbon dioxide and no one cared. According to the IPCC that's the red line and a global climate increase over 5 to 6 degrees is now the best case scenario. The ugly truth is we just aren't going to make it.

Suddenly we are hearing about all this excitement about space privatization. I think we all know why, the 1% plan to escape to their space habitats and colonies to the moon and Mars. We can't save this planet but we can damn well make sure the 1% suffer with us. That's why I don't support space exploration and neither should you.

Besides most scientist are resigned to the fact that FTL is impossible.
Old June 25 2013, 04:44 PM   #26
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

And may I just say how constructively and admirably you're helping the situation by spamming unrelated threads on a web board with end-of-the-world-is-nigh nonsense.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 01:10 AM   #27
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Yminale wrote: View Post
2 months ago we crossed the 400 ppm of Carbon dioxide and no one cared. According to the IPCC that's the red line and a global climate increase over 5 to 6 degrees is now the best case scenario. The ugly truth is we just aren't going to make it.

Suddenly we are hearing about all this excitement about space privatization. I think we all know why, the 1% plan to escape to their space habitats and colonies to the moon and Mars. We can't save this planet but we can damn well make sure the 1% suffer with us. That's why I don't support space exploration and neither should you.

The more space travel, the more common the tech, the cheaper it will be, bringing it within reach of more than 1% of the population. All technology works this way.

You simply don't need FTL to seed the planets and asteroids belts. Starseed projects can eventually take over from there once we do, perhaps following suit of alien methodology if they are out there: Some recent news from David Brin's blog:

http://davidbrin.blogspot.com/2013/0...obes-plus.html

There are certainly success stories with pollution reduction (LA for example), and lots of clean energy technologies are being subsidized and proliferated by world governments and motivated private companies. Combined with that, or even potentially if such efforts fail, future technologies for clean-up are promising.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...-environmental

Starship Century Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/StarshipCentury

Last edited by RAMA; August 8 2013 at 01:24 AM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 09:09 AM   #28
T J
Commodore

Ahhhh logic, I endorse it!
Old August 31 2013, 10:07 PM   #29
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The more space travel, the more common the tech, the cheaper it will be, bringing it within reach of more than 1% of the population. All technology works this way.

You simply don't need FTL to seed the planets and asteroids belts. Starseed projects can eventually take over from there once we do, perhaps following suit of alien methodology if they are out there: Some recent news from David Brin's blog:

There are certainly success stories with pollution reduction (LA for example), and lots of clean energy technologies are being subsidized and proliferated by world governments and motivated private companies. Combined with that, or even potentially if such efforts fail, future technologies for clean-up are promising.

Just some pertinent news I saw today that's related.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0827204538.htm
Old September 2 2013, 07:09 PM   #30
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Just some pertinent news I saw today that's related.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0827204538.htm

More with Eric Drexler:
A Future of Radical Abundance: Transforming the Material Basis of Civilization

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylOCEmlnyHk