Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 27 2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Warped9
Admiral

Pre TOS cruiser....

This is how it starts. I have an idea and I start sketching and eventually (sometimes it can take awhile) there is an "ah ha" moment. Here we go.

I actually worked up something like this before several years ago, but I always thought I could do better. Now I have a good concept I like with what I think is good visual balance in shape and proportions. This was initially based an a MJ preliminary sketch as he worked his way towards the final design for the Enterprise. The sketch in question was a saucer with a cylinder suspended beneath it and two narrow cylinders affixed atop. It was a very basic idea, but I'm trying to flesh it out.

From this I'll work up schematics and then move onto modelling it.

The basic background thinking is that this could be one of two earlier classes for either the Valiant (which was lost at Eminiar 7) or the Republic (referenced in "Courtmartial).

In this concept the nacelles are not affixed directly to the saucer as in MJ's sketch. Rather they are attached to a enlarged impulse section which houses main engineering. The support hull suspended below houses the shuttlecraft facilities as well as most of the support services.

This is something I photoshopped some years ago and gives a general idea as to what I'm working toward.

In any design I approach even as I tried to evolve it with some measure of logic I also try to work at it as if I'm designing a hero ship in order to get the right feel. I try for something that would look good if it had to be onscreen.

Last edited by Warped9; May 27 2013 at 04:06 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 02:48 AM   #2
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser
Re: Pre TOS cruiser....

Looks nice to me
Old May 27 2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Nightowl1701
Commander

Works for me.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Blip
Fleet Captain

Me too!
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:58 AM   #5
Warped9
Admiral

My original concept for pre TOS cruiser from about fifteen or so years ago. I liked it, but now I think it looks a bit too clunky.

My Heracles-class star slipper (and variants) from a century or more before the TOS era. Something like this could have been cool instead of reusing the Botany Bay footage as the olf freighter in "The Ultimate Computer."

MJ's original sketch that inspired my pre TOS cruiser.

Old May 28 2013, 04:47 PM   #6
B.J.
Rear Admiral

I like your sketching style! Looks like you're retaining some antennas from your previous versions, which I like, gives it a distinctive look. Going for a dome instead of a dish this time? Can't remember which camp you're in on that, is it a sensor, deflector, or both? (Or something else entirely?)
Old May 28 2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Warped9
Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
Going for a dome instead of a dish this time? Can't remember which camp you're in on that, is it a sensor, deflector, or both? (Or something else entirely?)
It is the deflector/main sensor array. It might not stay as a pure dome as I might play around with it.
Old June 2 2013, 10:37 PM   #8
publiusr
Commodore

Thanks for doing those ships from The Best of Trek
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 11:28 PM   #9
Belz...
Fleet Captain

From a completely nerd standpoint, shouldn't the nacelles be further away from the ship ?
Old June 2 2013, 11:45 PM   #10
Warped9
Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
From a completely nerd standpoint, shouldn't the nacelles be further away from the ship ?
Well you are seeing it predominantly from the side. Given that these engines are less powerful and that they would show to be further away when seen in other views I think it's okay. Besides they can look closer than they appear because they're attached to a section extending out from the saucer rather than attached to the support hull.

Also what about a destroyer design where the nacelle attaches right to the dorsal? That's even closer to inhabited areas.