Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 27 2013, 12:39 AM   #1186
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

I don't think it'll make $260 million. It'll top out in the $240-245 million dollar range.
Old May 27 2013, 12:48 AM   #1187
RAMA
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I don't think it'll make $260 million. It'll top out in the $240-245 million dollar range.

It'll hit $200 million by next monday, It has a very good chance...but really, Paramount isnt going to quibble much if it comes within $15 million. I think they will chalk up the lesson of not waiting so long between sequels and release it after 3 years for the anniversary. I think the third movie will likely make $300 million.
Old May 27 2013, 12:57 AM   #1188
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
It'll hit $200 million by next monday, It has a very good chance...
I think it'll be at around $185 million, give or take a couple mil, by next Monday.
Old May 27 2013, 12:59 AM   #1189
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
It'll hit $200 million by next monday, It has a very good chance...
I think it'll be at around $185 million, give or take a couple mil, by next Monday.

I'll say $191 to 200 million. (roughly $3 million a day till thursday, $5-6 million friday, $18-20 million weekend, and $2-3 million monday...)
Old May 27 2013, 01:02 AM   #1190
Flake
Commodore

ATM I think $230m North America and $200m Overseas for $430m total. The budget will definitely be cut down for the next one. First change I think would be to film with a 3D camera instead of converting from 2D and more sets indoors with greenscreen instead of outdoors.

They will also reduce the Overseas marketing budget because I think they went the extra mile overseas but have not got massive gains however perhaps the people they hooked with this movie will stick around for the next one. Overseas might benefit more if the release date is changed to March, April or late July/early August because of less competition.

I think they hoped for an $500-600m with this movie but it hasn't materialised, they do however know roughly what the ceiling is now and can budget appropriately.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 01:05 AM   #1191
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
ATM I think $230m North America and $200m Overseas for $430m total. The budget will definitely be cut down for the next one. First change I think would be to film with a 3D camera instead of converting from 2D and more sets indoors with greenscreen instead of outdoors.

They will also reduce the Overseas marketing budget because I think they went the extra mile overseas but have not got massive gains however perhaps the people they hooked with this movie will stick around for the next one. Overseas might benefit more if the release date is changed to March, April or late July/early August because of less competition.

I think they hoped for an $500-600m with this movie but it hasn't materialised, they do however know roughly what the ceiling is now and can budget appropriately.

A little less time between movies and 50th anniverary hoopla, and we'll hit $500 million plus for the next one. We won't know the final international tally till maybe late September.

RAMA
Old May 27 2013, 01:08 AM   #1192
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

The OS take, while an improvement, is still baffling.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 01:09 AM   #1193
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I'll say $191 to 200 million. (roughly $3 million a day till thursday, $5-6 million friday, $18-20 million weekend, and $2-3 million monday...)
Are you counting that $5-6 million within the weekend number?

My thinking is $9-10 million for Tuesday to Thursday this week, $18-21 million for the third weekend (Friday to Sunday). That brings it to aroud $185 million, give or take one or two. If you add in the following Monday that could bring it up to just under $190 million.

Flake wrote: View Post

I agree entirely. As for a release date change, I think they'll either stick with May or move to November 2016.
Old May 27 2013, 01:13 AM   #1194
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Are you counting that $5-6 million within the weekend number?

My thinking is $9-10 million for Tuesday to Thursday this week, $18-21 million for the third weekend (Friday to Sunday). That brings it to aroud $185 million, give or take one or two. If you add in the following Monday that could bring it up to just under $190 million.

Since the movie is running 1-2% over ST09, and it will be in Imax for a few weeks yet, then I think 18-20 million is realistic for Saturday-Sun only ($12 million mon thru thurs). ST09 made over $29 million for the third weekend, I'm guessing $23 million low end for STID.
Old May 27 2013, 01:17 AM   #1195
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Since the movie is running 1-2% over ST09, and it will be in Imax for a few weeks yet, then I think 18-20 million is realistic for Saturday-Sun only ($12 million mon thru thurs). ST09 made over $29 million for the third weekend, I'm guessing $23 million low end for STID.
Star Trek's third weekend was Memorial Day weekend. It made $29 million for the 4-day weekend (and $22.9 million for the 3-day). STiD will have a regular weekend as its third weekend, without the inflated Sunday business MD weekend brings, and of course the following Monday will be a regular day and not a holiday. $18-21 million is the likely range for the whole 3-day weekend, Friday to Sunday, followed by a Monday of about $2 million.
Old May 27 2013, 01:19 AM   #1196
Jax
Admiral

I wonder how much 3D has helped STID, I'd like to see 2D and IMAX only for the next movie as 3D did add to the budget and you wonder was it needed.
Old May 27 2013, 02:26 AM   #1197
Flake
Commodore

Jax wrote: View Post
I wonder how much 3D has helped STID, I'd like to see 2D and IMAX only for the next movie as 3D did add to the budget and you wonder was it needed.
It has helped keep the dollar figure similar to st09

I think if it was just in 2D the $$$ would be 25-30% lower.

Less people seeing STID than ST09.

Converting a 2D movie to 3D costs more than filming in 3D to start with, so film in 3D next time with another director willing to do so.
Old May 27 2013, 02:35 AM   #1198
Flake
Commodore

^^ 25-30% might be too high actually. TBH I am not sure 3D accounts for say 45% of the gross and is certainly more expensive than 2D.

Also I don't understand why many movies are still filmed in 2D and post-converted to 3D. Even Iron Man 3 and the Avengers were filmed in 2D and converted afterward. Is it because the 'film like' quality is lost because they are using a 3D camera instead of 2D 35mm?

Converting a 2D movie to 3D takes 700 people 9 months (Jurassic Park 3D) - thats got to be a lot of money that does not need to be spent if you filmed in 3D to start with?
Old May 27 2013, 03:09 AM   #1199
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

They're not backing off 3D.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 03:29 AM   #1200
Flake
Commodore

I agree, they will keep the 3D

I just wonder if they film with a 3D camera like Avatar etc because that might save them some $? instead of converting 2d to 3d.