Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 26 2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Kestra
Vice Admiral

New Arrested Development! (SPOILERS)

Since the OP of the other thread wanted to keep it spoiler free, I thought this would be a good place to discuss the new season of Arrested Development. It's a unique situation because they are releasing all the eps at once, and not everyone is going to watch them all at once. So please try to use a little discretion and use spoiler tags if you are talking about something that is much later on. Or just do a quick title like "Episode Five" so people will know to skip past that bit if they haven't gotten there yet.

I'm through the first episode so far and I have mixed feelings about it because of what they did to Michael. There were still definitely laugh out loud moments for me though. I felt like a lot of it was callbacks to previous moments, some of which weren't necessary.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 12:49 PM   #2
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: New Arrested Development! (SPOILERS)

There were some funny moments in the first episode, but overall I would call it just ok. The voting joke went on way too long. I can see already that the individual character episodes are going to be a weakness. Michael was always his best as the straight man to the other crazy characters. When you focus entirely on him you get a whole episode of him being oblivious (his most common character flaw) which starts to grate after a bit.
Old May 26 2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

On episode 7, I just had to stop because I was laughing so much at the repeat use of "Hello Darkness My Old Friend".
Old May 26 2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I think I've finished 5 episodes now. I'm not sure what to think just yet. Whereas the previous seasons had episodes that stood well on their own, this season it is clear that the episodes are much more interconnected. A lot of the jokes and stories don't pan out until a later episode. For that reason, it is hard to judge whether I like it or not until I've watched all of it.

I can say that so far I also don't like what they've done with Michael's character. I know he was always a bit self-absorbed and oblivious, but now they have taken it to a whole new level. At least before he was still (mostly) honorable and likable. But I'll see where the rest of the episodes go.

Also, I am seriously missing the lack of Gob in these earlier episodes. It's made me realize that perhaps he was the funniest and my favorite character on the show. Even when he's not making an explicit joke, just the way he moves and talks is hilarious. There's not as many laugh out loud moments without him. I am looking forward to the Gob episode (which I think is next for me).
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

I've laughed out loud plenty and I'd say I think it's just as good as any earlier seasons, but I'm through 9 episodes now. Took me about 3 or 4 eps to get in to the new format but I think it's working for me.
Old May 26 2013, 07:38 PM   #6
RoJoHen
Awesome

I want to be able to sit and watch all of these in one sitting, so I'm hiding until I can do that. Probably Tuesday.
Old May 26 2013, 08:02 PM   #7
tighr
Commodore

I'm through episode 7 right now, and had to take a break. Watched the first two last night (and glad I did, because a few Facebook friends were posting quotes almost immediately after they're said... we must have all started right at 12:01!!!)

I would have to say right now the funniest episode is the Tobias episode, but that's to be expected because he's the most oblivious character to the situations around him. I'm noticing a lack of other characters though with this format; not nearly enough Maeby or George Michael so far, and we've only just started seeing GOB. Hope to finish the rest tonight.
Old May 27 2013, 12:09 AM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Feral Jesus!
Old May 27 2013, 12:11 AM   #9
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I watched the first three episodes today.

Not sure what to think. So far, it seems uneven.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 12:15 AM   #10
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I really didn't like Lindsay's episode. Needs more Buster and Gob so far.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 12:18 AM   #11
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

1001001 wrote: View Post

If you think of it as an eight-hour Arrested Development film, it feels a little better. That first episode was bad, though.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 12:45 AM   #12
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Timby wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post

If you think of it as an eight-hour Arrested Development film, it feels a little better. That first episode was bad, though.
That makes sense, since it's all inter-related.

I agree, the first episode was a mess. Michael seemed totally out of character to me.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 02:05 AM   #13
CaptainWacky
Rear Admiral

I'm up to episode nine and it definitely gets a lot better as it goes on. Tobias and GOB episodes have been the highlight so far.

"Daddy needs to get his rocks off."
Old May 27 2013, 06:29 AM   #14
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I agree that it is uneven. I've watched all of the episodes now. The Lindsay and Tobias episodes were actually my least favorite, with the Gob episodes being the best. Have any of you guys seen the ending yet? If not, I'll use spoiler code.

—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 07:18 AM   #15
tighr
Commodore

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I agree that it is uneven. I've watched all of the episodes now. The Lindsay and Tobias episodes were actually my least favorite, with the Gob episodes being the best. Have any of you guys seen the ending yet? If not, I'll use spoiler code.

Yep, just finished the season myself! You forgot:

My favorites were the Tobias and GOB episodes, but Buster's was a pleasant surprise. The format does leave it a little uneven, though, especially with the fact that due to 15 episodes, not every character got two. The way things were going, I wasn't sure how they'd resolve it, maybe doing an episode that wasn't focused on an individual, but you gotta give Hurwitz credit for sticking with the format.

Also, I googled it (or blurred searched!), and Isla Fisher is 37! Wow, she looks fantastic.