TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 26 2013, 08:44 PM   #31
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Re: Movies that OFFEND you

Reign of fire offended me for one very simple reason... so I was killing time at the cinema and saw this poster for a film that featured Dragons fighting helicopter gunships over London - holy fuck that looks awesome!

NOTHING ON THE POSTER IS IN THE FILM!
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 09:03 PM   #32
Yoda
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I was offended by Crash.

A mix of "I wasted money renting this garbage" and literally hating every part of it. Yes, the human race sucks, but not everyone in the world is a racist pig.

One of the few movies I turned off without finishing.
You are a smarter man than me

I stuck around to the bitter end. I mean.. it won Best Picture... It had to get better at some point..?!?!

I'd say in general though I don't really get 'offended' by movies. I might find them ridiculous and terrible for numerous reasons. But offended? Ok, well, I guess there was the Phantom Menace.. I mean that was offensive. But aside from that..? Nah.
Old May 26 2013, 09:04 PM   #33
scnj
Captain

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Also there were 2 tough chick characters in Fast & Furious 6.
I counted five. Riley, Letty, Gisele, Vegh, and Mia.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 09:46 PM   #34
tighr
Commodore

Yoda wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I was offended by Crash.

One of the few movies I turned off without finishing.
You are a smarter man than me

I stuck around to the bitter end. I mean.. it won Best Picture... It had to get better at some point..?!?!
That's how I felt about The King's Speech.
Old May 26 2013, 11:04 PM   #35
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Yeah well.. Oscars and all that.. it was small miracle that Return of the King cleared off most of them that year.

Other than that you really have to dig the topic of the movie or understand what it tries to say to appreciate an Oscar winner.. sometimes i'm really struggling to understand why a certain movie wins.
Old May 26 2013, 11:13 PM   #36
Bisz
Rear Admiral

I'm with a couple of other people in here, pretty much the only thing that offends me is blatant historical inaccuracy.

I don't care that you have to make a movie that appeals to Americans/Christians/Males/people with money or whatever other group you are pandering to. Nothing gives you the right to re-write history, to take away the accomplishments of an individual/nation/group and give it to another individual/nation/group, U571 being a great example already mentioned, Argo being another.

For better or for worse people "learn" from movies and TV shows which means that people making those movies and TV shows should strive for a higher goal than just to entertain us, they should also strive not to misinform us.

Taking creative liberty for the sake of storytelling is one thing, blatantly lying is something total different. And that blatant lying is what offends me.
Old May 26 2013, 11:47 PM   #37
tighr
Commodore

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Other than that you really have to dig the topic of the movie or understand what it tries to say to appreciate an Oscar winner.. sometimes i'm really struggling to understand why a certain movie wins.
See, that's what I mean about King's Speech, though. I really do dig the topic of the British Monarchy, and the story behind George VI and The Duke of Windsor et al; my problem with the movie is that it was just plain boring. There was a better story in there than the one that focused on Prince Albert's stutter. Even then, that's completely ignoring the historical inaccuracies of the film itself... it did not feel like a "Best Picture" to me.

Of course, I'm still bitter that Shawshank Redemption lost to Forrest Gump simply because the year it was picked was stacked (no offense to Forrest Gump), but that other crappy films have won in down years.
Old May 26 2013, 11:58 PM   #38
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Sometimes movies whose core message I agree with bother me more than ones whose message I disagree with. I hate it when movies make really terrible arguments for something I agree with.

I think all of Michael Moore's films fall into this category. He's on the same side as me, but he's making these really awful, really manipulative arguments and keeps putting himself on camera making his own ego a bigger focus than the topic he's trying to address.

He's made a lot of awful movies and succeeded in turning more people against my side than toward it. And he's made himself the fat, smug, obnoxious stereotype straw man for every anti-corporate political cause there is.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 01:01 AM   #39
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Of course, I'm still bitter that Shawshank Redemption lost to Forrest Gump simply because the year it was picked was stacked (no offense to Forrest Gump), but that other crappy films have won in down years.
Heck, I'm still bitter that "The Morning After" beat "Ben" for Best Song back in 1972.

I really wanted a song about a man-eating rat to win an Oscar!
Old May 27 2013, 02:06 AM   #40
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

the only movie that i ever walked out on was the watchmen, everything about that movie pissed me off
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 02:40 AM   #41
freak
Commodore

For me, life is too short to get offended by movies. Movies are supposed to be entertaining and fun to watch and if people are offended by some issues that the movie stands by then that's their problem. I don't get offended by movies...but sometimes the dialogue offends me in a way.
Old May 27 2013, 05:26 AM   #42
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

The Wicker Man remake. No, not because it was a bad remake of a classic (which I've never seen), but because of the horrible view of women and the way it strung the audience along until the final scene of Nick Cage being tortured and killed. It's basically a snuff film for misogynists with a victim complex.

Only movie I ever walked out of furious.
Old May 27 2013, 05:33 AM   #43
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Many romantic comedies bask in misogyny and misandry and I find that to be rather offensive. Any film that glorifies racism/homophobia is obviously disgusting, too, but I figure that goes without saying.
Old May 28 2013, 11:45 PM   #44
bryce
Rear Admiral

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post

^That is one of my favorite comic strips EVER!!! And I don't just mean "Bloom County" - but that strip in particular too! I think of it whenever I see self-rightous people going on about how offended they are...

I swear, some people get off on being offended...and seem to actually go around looking for things to get offended by and complain about!
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 11:55 PM   #45
Mistral
Vice Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
I find the current trend of going through life looking for things to be offended by to be offensive.
This offends me.

Actually, the only movies that offend me are ones like Dumb and Dumber (actually, most Jim Carrey movies) or White Chicks, Paul Blart, Mall Cop, etc. I like comedy but stupidity disguised as humor is still...stupid.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote