Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 26 2013, 04:27 AM   #166
Mountie1988
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Klingons in STID--why do they look like a burned Kryten?

DavidLeeRoth wrote: View Post
He looks more like Darth Maul than a Klingon. The head has a cube-like shape, that thing running down the head doesn't resemble a ridge, the whole head looks like it was dunked in BBQ sauce and put on the grill and he doesn't have any hair.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...7/Worf2379.jpg

[Converted to link. Images posted inline should be hosted on your own space. - M']

That's what a Klingon should look like.

No, doesn't look like Darth Maul at all.
Mountie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:28 AM   #167
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Klingons in STID--why do they look like [SPOILERS]?

I'm still trying to figure out how Darth Maul has a cube-shaped head that looks like it was dunked in barbecue sauce. And where are the pointy yellow Klingon horns and black and red facial tattoos?

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:33 AM   #168
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
cooleddie74 wrote:
That way J.J. honors continuity but doesn't step in a huge nerd minefield by changing some detail about Khan's age, the wars or his ship.
Just his race.
What race would that be?
Old May 26 2013, 04:43 AM   #169
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Hard to say. He was played by a Mexican actor before. Maybe he was supposed to be Mexican?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 06:04 AM   #170
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

If we had to go based on television from the seventies and eighties I'd say Khan was a Corinthian.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 06:10 PM   #171
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
cooleddie74 wrote:
That way J.J. honors continuity but doesn't step in a huge nerd minefield by changing some detail about Khan's age, the wars or his ship.
Just his race.
What race would that be?
Indian.
Old May 26 2013, 06:42 PM   #172
Robert_T_April
Captain

Only one Klingon took off his helmet if I'm not mistaken, and although he looked slightly different, I thought he had ridges...
Robert_T_April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 07:23 PM   #173
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

To be fair, the bit about Khan "possibly" being a Sikh was mentioned once in "Space Seed," forty-six years ago. It wasn't mentioned at all in The Wrath of Khan. Granted, I got two books out of that line, but I'm inclined to cut them some slack here. Khan's Sikh roots are not essential to the character; heck, Khan never mentions them onscreen. He identifies as a genetically-engineered superman, not a Sikh.

The way I see it, one line of dialogue from forty-six years ago is no big deal. As the saying goes, sometimes an ounce of inaccuracy saves a ton of explanation.

Or, even more profoundly, why sweat the small stuff?
Old May 26 2013, 07:30 PM   #174
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

OK, seriously, those who actually care about this shit should just assume that a quick aesthetic surgery was a part of Section 31 fake identity package.

In the 23rd century, changing one's appearance shouldn't be much more difficult than changing a name. Heck, they can probably do it in a matter of minutes.
Old May 26 2013, 07:41 PM   #175
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
OK, seriously, those who actually care about this shit should just assume that a quick aesthetic surgery was a part of Section 31 fake identity package.

In the 23rd century, changing one's appearance shouldn't be much more difficult than changing a name. Heck, they can probably do it in a matter of minutes.
Heck, Kirk had himself surgically disguised as a Romulan in "The Enterprise Incident," an Orion was surgically transformed into an Andorian in "Journey to Babel," and a Klingon was surgically disguised as a human in "The Trouble with Tribbles."

So it's canon!
Old May 26 2013, 08:16 PM   #176
marksound
Fleet Captain

According to Article I of the "Rehat Maryada" (the Sikh code of conduct and conventions), a Sikh is defined as "any human being who faithfully believes in One Immortal Being; ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak to Guru Gobind Singh; Guru Granth Sahib; the teachings of the ten Gurus and the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru; and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion".[31] Sikhs believe in the equality of humankind, the concept of universal brotherhood and One Supreme transcendent and immanent God (Ik Onkar)
If that's the case, ethnicity doesn't enter into it. Anyone can be Sikh.

I'm thinking that Khan might be Sikh in name only.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 08:46 PM   #177
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The way I see it, one line of dialogue from forty-six years ago is no big deal. As the saying goes, sometimes an ounce of inaccuracy saves a ton of explanation.
Why do the audiences today need "a ton of explanation" what a Sikh is, but the audiences in the 60s didn't?
Khan was a genetically engineered tyrant over all eurasia hundreds of years ago, got overthrown and escaped/exiled into space. One line of monologue.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 09:11 PM   #178
marksound
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Why do the audiences today need "a ton of explanation" what a Sikh is, but the audiences in the 60s didn't?
Khan was a genetically engineered tyrant over all eurasia hundreds of years ago, got overthrown and escaped/exiled into space. One line of monologue.
I think audiences in general couldn't give a rat's ass. It's just the Treknoids that need everything spelled out, with 27 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

And that cracks me up.
Old May 26 2013, 09:13 PM   #179
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I think audiences in general couldn't give a rat's ass. It's just the Treknoids that need everything spelled out, with 27 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

And that cracks me up.
There's this notion that I will never understand: the audience is stupid. Apparently EVERYTHING that was already mentioned somewhere confuses the people in theaters and needs to be done differently.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 09:18 PM   #180
marksound
Fleet Captain

Carcazoid wrote: View Post

And that cracks me up.
There's this notion that I will never understand: the audience is stupid. Apparently EVERYTHING that was already mentioned somewhere confuses the people in theaters and needs to be done differently.
Audiences aren't stupid. They don't need minor details explained. It's just the fanatical Treknicators that need "two minutes of onscreen explanation."

I like to think that my imagination can fill in any blanks, real or perceived.

The fans that need the slow paced, talk it to death in every scene, blahblahblah, are the reason Trek nearly died.