RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 414
Newest member: 118_Larson

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 26 2013, 10:49 AM   #16
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: RLM - Half in the Bag does STID [SPOILERS]

TheCutestofBorg wrote: View Post
6 months from now most of you guys will be agreeing with almost everything these guys are saying. This movie is well directed and excellent visually... but the script and story logic is about as well written as if you took a room full of 3rd graders and asked them what they wanted to see in a star trek movie.
It IS Star Trek: Fast and Furious. The plot made no sense and has as much substance as the Transformer movies. Which is none.
I do like the movie. And I am resigned to the fact that this is the type of Star Trek we will be getting from now on. But man, I am tired of seeing people defend this movie as if its a great movie and a real thriller brain teaser of a movie. Take Mission Impossible and Fast and Furious and mash them together and add some Star Trek and you have Star Trek Into Darkness
Nope I don't think I will.
I don't think anyone here has said the movie is a brain teaser or a thriller. Maybe I missed those posts.

The only Star Trek movie that has come close to that is STVI.

You know decades ago I saw the first episode of TNG and was appalled to see that that was the type of Star Trek that I was getting now
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 03:24 PM   #17
The Stig
Rear Admiral

sj4iy wrote: View Post
Reviews should be 5 minutes or less. I honestly don't know what you can talk about for 45 minutes unless you are recapping or reciting almost the entire movie.
Exactly. I can't imagine being so angry about a movie that it takes 45 minutes to get it all out.

Also, my tolerance for random Internet video rants is extremely low, no matter the genre. Just because the barrier to entry is low doesn't mean that you're at all interesting or insightful.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:01 PM   #18
M
Vice Admiral

Oh boy. They are not angry in any way. Nor are they "fanboys" (Mike and Rich are Trek fans, sure, but they're certainly not fanatic about it). Maybe you should at least try to watch the damn review. It's funny and insightful. It's 40 minutes long, because they had fun talking about it for that length. It's just like seeing the movie with a bunch of friends and talking about it afterwards over a few drinks. I sure discussed the movie a whole lot longer than 40 minutes with my buddies.

So please, get over it. It's just a bunch of guys talking about a movie. They didn't hate it and they didn't love it. And if you're interested, they tell you why. If you're not, fine. But man, why hate on them like that? Some act like they charge you money for watching their damn videos.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:39 PM   #19
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
The movie and I are in the honeymoon stage now.
I'm already at the cheating stage.
Old May 26 2013, 06:23 PM   #20
sonak
Vice Admiral

I usually like RLM, but this one was like a cliche of every bs criticism of AbramsTrek:

as for the "dumb script/story" stuff, I liked how the one guy pointed out that Khan in TWOK WASN'T all that smart(kept falling for obvious tricks). And I think the criticism of the "science" in STID is pretty funny considering TWOK'S "genesis device." And holding up THE MOTION PICTURE of all movies as an example to follow?

It just played as a cliche of fake nostalgia for an era that never existed, when Trek movies were supposedly all about cerebral things and hard science.
Old May 26 2013, 08:37 PM   #21
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

M wrote: View Post
Oh boy. They are not angry in any way. Nor are they "fanboys" (Mike and Rich are Trek fans, sure, but they're certainly not fanatic about it). Maybe you should at least try to watch the damn review. It's funny and insightful. It's 40 minutes long, because they had fun talking about it for that length. It's just like seeing the movie with a bunch of friends and talking about it afterwards over a few drinks. I sure discussed the movie a whole lot longer than 40 minutes with my buddies.

So please, get over it. It's just a bunch of guys talking about a movie. They didn't hate it and they didn't love it. And if you're interested, they tell you why. If you're not, fine. But man, why hate on them like that? Some act like they charge you money for watching their damn videos.
Speaking only for myself, I'm not really a fan of reviews on video (or of anything on video when text would suffice, for that matter.) In my experience, many of the YouTube reviewers do seem to be angry or ranty a lot and the majority of them go on for far too long. Most of them are terrible at expressing themselves clearly and concisely, and all but a handful are just plain poor reviewers besides.

That said, I did manage (a couple of years back) to get through the RLM/Plinkett review of Star Trek and found that he actually did have a lot of insightful things to say about the movie and demonstrated a fair depth of knowledge about filmmaking. The first couple of Star Wars reviews he did were similarly insightful.

However, the signal-to-noise ratio in even the Star Trek review was poor, and in other Plinkett reviews I've checked out it's utterly atrocious. While his criticism may be sound, the "Plinkett" character shtick is badly in the way; it's simply not worth it to me to invest that much time in wading through so much dross, and my sampling of the first couple of "Half in the Bag" sessions did nothing to improve that impression. Yes, it's probably the characterization which sets him apart from any other reasonably-competent reviewer, but it's not something I find very entertaining - certainly not enough so that I'd willingly suffer through forty minutes' worth in order to glean five or ten minutes of actual review content. If he'd provide a separate link to a text review with all of the shtick excised, I might be willing to give that a try.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 09:53 PM   #22
M
Vice Admiral

^ Thanks for that response. I can understand not wanting to watch a video of guys talking about a movie. For me personally, the people at RLM have found the perfect mixture of satire, comedy, all-out craziness and actual insight. They are all very passionate about movies and movie making, and it shows. They know what they're talking about, and they do it in a manner, which I, personally, love. Their videos are well-edited, well-written and funny. I don't need more.

As for this particular review: I would say the STID episode is more or less 90 percent actual review, with only a very tiny portion being non-related comedy material. So I guess you wouldn't be disappointed watching this. It's the internet equivalent of a conversation about the movie with friends. One certainly doesn't have to like that. But I sure do.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 10:18 PM   #23
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
I usually like RLM, but this one was like a cliche of every bs criticism of AbramsTrek:

as for the "dumb script/story" stuff, I liked how the one guy pointed out that Khan in TWOK WASN'T all that smart(kept falling for obvious tricks)
Why do you 'like' hearing criticism of old Trek but dismiss criticism of nu-Trek as BS?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 10:47 PM   #24
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

TheCutestofBorg wrote: View Post
6 months from now most of you guys will be agreeing with almost everything these guys are saying. This movie is well directed and excellent visually... but the script and story logic is about as well written as if you took a room full of 3rd graders and asked them what they wanted to see in a star trek movie.
It IS Star Trek: Fast and Furious. The plot made no sense and has as much substance as the Transformer movies. Which is none.
I do like the movie. And I am resigned to the fact that this is the type of Star Trek we will be getting from now on. But man, I am tired of seeing people defend this movie as if its a great movie and a real thriller brain teaser of a movie. Take Mission Impossible and Fast and Furious and mash them together and add some Star Trek and you have Star Trek Into Darkness
Respectfully, No.

I was told something similar when I saw Star Trek (2009). It has been 4 years, and I still love the movie, and I still consider it well made on all fronts.

I like Into Darkness better than I do ST09, in no small part due to the newer incarnation of Khan. I don't expect that to change too much over the next six months.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 02:34 AM   #25
rafterman1701
Commodore

Wow at the anger/hate on display on a forum over people who discussed the movie on video rather than through text like we're doing now. Look, if you disagree, that's cool, but I'm with these guys 100%. Their views fall nicely in line with mine so it's nice to hear their thoughts.

I think we all need to agree that not everyone will love these new movies and not everyone will hate them. But the attitude that people who dislike them are "fanboys who can't get over their nostalgia" is asinine. People can have legit complaints about the film.

The point about "dumb" comes up a lot. Whenever someone says the new movies are dumb, the comeback now is "Trek was always dumb." That's just reductive and untrue.

And they went on for forty five minutes because there was stuff to talk about. We're going to be on this forum for months or years talking about the movie, so why get on them for how long they talked?

And it was not a rant. Please don't overuse that word. I'd prefer it if you listened and countered their points. Then we can have a discussion about the film.
rafterman1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 03:43 AM   #26
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

^ Thanks for that response. I can understand not wanting to watch a video of guys talking about a movie. For me personally, the people at RLM have found the perfect mixture of satire, comedy, all-out craziness and actual insight. They are all very passionate about movies and movie making, and it shows. They know what they're talking about, and they do it in a manner, which I, personally, love. Their videos are well-edited, well-written and funny. I don't need more.
I didn't mention that before, but I do have to agree that the editing and overall construction on the ST09 review were quite well-done. I still think it's overlong, but that's definitely my issue.

As for this particular review: I would say the STID episode is more or less 90 percent actual review, with only a very tiny portion being non-related comedy material. So I guess you wouldn't be disappointed watching this. It's the internet equivalent of a conversation about the movie with friends. One certainly doesn't have to like that. But I sure do.
I may give it shot, then, after things have settled down a bit more. It's just a little busy, right at the moment.

[Edited to add: on a completely unrelated note, M, you may want to try looking up a group (no longer active, unfortunately) called Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Several albums' worth of material released over a period of 10 years, plus live performances may be found on YouTube.]
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 27 2013 at 04:01 AM. Reason: sleepytime gorilla museum rec.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 03:45 AM   #27
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

RLM reviews are meant solely for entertainment purposes. As such, YMMV. There's often a kernel of "film major" truth at the heart of the reviews, but they're more about sensationalism, generalization and hyperbole than a strict, academic or objective review (as evidenced by the unnecessary lengths of some of these reviews).

Personally, I'm at the point where a RLM video is, by default, a non-starter. I've got better things to do with my time.
Old May 27 2013, 04:40 AM   #28
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I'm a Plinkett fan. I love watching his reviews because I find them fun, entertaining, and often filled with silly moments that I find generally hilarious.

The other guys, though? Eh, not so much. If I'm spending 40 minutes watching two guys debate back and forth about a movie, I'd rather be watching Siskel & Ebert, and they managed to do a comprehensive review of three films in half the time. The RLM guys in the review above were just boring, and when you're doing a video review about a fast paced action/adventure sci-fi movie, that's just unacceptable.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 12:47 PM   #29
Ben
Lieutenant

I hated the movie, so it was nice to see a well thought out review that summed up a lot of my feelings about it. I hope they do a Plinkett review, too.
Old May 27 2013, 04:02 PM   #30
sonak
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post

as for the "dumb script/story" stuff, I liked how the one guy pointed out that Khan in TWOK WASN'T all that smart(kept falling for obvious tricks)
Why do you 'like' hearing criticism of old Trek but dismiss criticism of nu-Trek as BS?

I don't "like" hearing criticism of old Trek(I quite like TOS and the movie series), but I don't like blatant double standards and unfairness in reviews. I also tend to roll my eyes at the now cliched "Star Trek used to be so cerebral and look what Abrams did to it!" TWOK and FC were both very much straight-forward action sci-fi movies, just like the last two movies from Abrams have been.