MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 17 2013, 07:03 PM   #46
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Does anyone else find McCoy annoying?

Myko wrote: View Post
McCoy does not argue with Spock because of racist reasons. He does not believe that ignoring your emotions in favour of logic is a good idea, and will clash with Spock. He uses racial slurs as shorthand when he argues.
Agreed, he is not arguing to insult him over his race, but imagine doing that today. You disagree with someone over a topic so you throw in racial comments ? Unacceptable.

Love Bones, it was the times, does not hold up well in 2013.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:17 PM   #47
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

RandyS wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Nah. McCoy is great. He adds plenty of humanity, character,and, yes, attitude to the show.
Agreed. Old Bones was one of the best things about the show.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:43 PM   #48
marsomthing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

AtoZ wrote: View Post
Destructor wrote: View Post
I think I like McCoy the most of all. He's hilarious!
McCoy the character shades a great many scenarios over the run of TOS. The interaction with Spock is simply classic; their rivalry is the stuff of fine writing and mutual if subtle character development, and speaking of character, McCoy demonstrated an abundance of it very early in the series. Despite his fears and role (more towards the back of the bus as opposed to leadership), he stepped-up and gambled his life in Miri, and later in The Empath, the latter not truly being due to anything of his hand, the former an extension of his taking responsibility on something he had worked on.

And I absolutely enjoy DeForrest Kelley's portrayal of McCoy; a character that is admittedly very human, flawed, colorful and at-times, properly over-the-top.

I forgot the empath, he gets tore pretty tore up in that one. Can't forget shore leave when he "dies" being the knight in shining armor!
marsomthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 08:52 PM   #49
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
McCoy does not argue with Spock because of racist reasons. He does not believe that ignoring your emotions in favour of logic is a good idea, and will clash with Spock. He uses racial slurs as shorthand when he argues.
Agreed, he is not arguing to insult him over his race, but imagine doing that today. You disagree with someone over a topic so you throw in racial comments ? Unacceptable.

Love Bones, it was the times, does not hold up well in 2013.
I recommend you stop looking at it with today's values (ahem), and simply enjoy the show for what it was.

You'll be happier. Trust me.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 04:04 AM   #50
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

Lordsuhn wrote: View Post

Anyway - just wanted to see if I was the only one.
Yes, yes you might be.
Praetor Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 06:02 AM   #51
Mr_Homn
Captain

in my experience many newer viewers find him annoying and he eventually grows on them and they learn to love him
Old May 24 2013, 04:42 PM   #52
Marsden
Commander

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Overall, I thought McCoy was a great character who provided a valuable contribution to TOS. However, at times I couldn't stand McCoy. In many episodes they pumped up the McCoy-Spock tension a bit much, to the point of making McCoy look like an @sshole. He'd give Spock a hard time at almost any turn, looking sorely unprofessional. These guys are military trained. I know doctors are usually less "by the book", but McCoy's needling of Spock went too far.

Anyway, it was a shame he wasn't given more "meat" to his roles in the movies. I think he could've provided more entertaining dialog.
I see that when Spock was in command, like The Tholian Web and lesser amount in The Galileo Seven.

In TTW he's really difficult for Spock until he sees Jim's last orders. It could have been the stress of losing the captain, but he seems too much a bit.
He does seem to point out a little too happily about missteps in TGS, but he isn't insubordinate like Boma. One of my favorite parts about that episodes is how Scotty doesn't say much, but he gets angry with Boma, I just really liked that, it shows the difference between stepping over the line and staying within it.

So, Bones didn't annoy me.
Old May 26 2013, 03:04 PM   #53
Lance
Fleet Captain

Sometimes I think they were a little inconsistent about whether his bickering with Spock was all just a mutual in-joke between the two of them, or whether McCoy truly believed it. That's one thing I would change about him. I'd like it to be a little more obvious that they love each other really.

Otherwise... er, no. I don't think Bones was annoying.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 03:05 PM   #54
Myko
Commander

That Which Survives is the only time I find both Spock and McCoy to be written too over the top.
Old May 27 2013, 01:16 AM   #55
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander

Personally I love Mccoy, despite him being a bit.. racist against Spock. (Spock is my heart character). Mccoy is a grumpy, sarcastic and funny guy. He can be mean but he's nice deep down. Also he wants to save people. The trio would not be the same wihot Bones. He's awesome.

I think the reason the bickering isn't "obviously a joke" is because it isn't always a joke for either Spock or Bones. Bones is a very emotional character. He strikes me as something of a sci-fi hippy in some ways. He truly disaproves of Spock at times, but he loves him all the same. I love this about them, because that's often how family members are.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 02:27 AM   #56
TheSubCommander
Captain

I don't know if the only only one but definitely in the minority. Bones was awesome.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 07:08 PM   #57
Gary7
Rear Admiral

McCoy does deliver some good humor to the series and gives it some great warmth.

You can find some of his bits in these videos:
Funny Lines, Season 1
Funny Lines, Season 2
Funny Lines, Season 3
Old May 28 2013, 07:17 PM   #58
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
I don't know if the only only one but definitely in the minority. Bones was awesome.
This in a nutshell.
Old May 28 2013, 07:26 PM   #59
RXTT
Lieutenant

McCoy was awesome.
RXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 07:45 PM   #60
Marsden
Commander

That Which Survives is the only time I find both Spock and McCoy to be written too over the top.
Spock was really terribly written in that episode. I'll watch it again to see about McCoy but I don't remember any problems but with Spock's attitude and dialogue, I don't like it.