New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 26 2013, 02:33 PM   #16
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
How come no Green Lantern was ever played by a green actor?
The audience isn't ready for that yet. Maybe in a few years, but, not now, too Controversial.

Yea, 1960s Doctor Who was pretty Racist with caricatures like in Tomb of the Cybermen, but, you'd be hard pressed not to find that kind of thing in most shows from that time. Same with being Sexist.

We've had Mickey and Martha as Companions, the Doctor gave all kinds of respect to the Indian lady in the Silurian two-parter Hungry Earth/Cold Blood, as well as the one in the The God Complex. Classic Who had Brigadier Bamberra in Battlefield.

The Doctor has always been a White Male, not changing him to black is not a sign of racism, it's showing consistency, but, the door is open if/when they have an actor show up who's black and is the best for the part. I don't want them going out of their way to check the box, I just want the best actor for the job, and I would welcome him/her if he/she was black.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 02:42 PM   #17
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
RTD era was racist as were a few classic stories but this article ignores all the actual cases? Black people were consistently portrayed as idiots under RTD.

That said it's terribly ageist as is 99% of other tv. If they can get that many kid actors there should be old ones too. Villains are fun but other roles please too.
Neither Mickey, nor Martha were portrayed as being idiots for being Black.

Mickey wasn't treated any more like an idiot or differently early on, then Rory was, and he grew into a great hero that had The Doctor's respect and Martha's only "idiocy" was expecting to get together with a Time Lord on the rebound, She was a Doctor, a Torchwood Agent, a UNIT Agent, she saved the world a couple of times. The Tree Lady certainly wasn't portrayed as idiot. Then of course there was Clyde in SJA

Old May 26 2013, 03:39 PM   #18
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

RTD threw Martha and Mickey together for no other reason than they're black.

As stated though, racism rarely bothers me and I find the idea that races compete with eachother in the Offence Olympics as to who suffers the most injustice to be hilarious. I heard a recent interview with Jamie Foxx where he claimed there was "nothing in the world more dangerous than being a black man in America today".

Get perspective, people.

Oddly, I almost NEVER hear complaints that Chinese people aren't portrayed well in Doctor Who, despite them easily having the most legitimate case. We've had 2 black companions in the modern series. What the fuck more are people expecting!? What do the black community feel they're still owed? 3 black Doctors!? No other minority community whines this much, despite them getting FAR less exposure in the media. When was the last time you saw a Native American headline a blockbuster movie?
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 03:59 PM   #19
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Eh...Mickey traded up(From a Shop Girl who treated him like garbage to a Medical Doctor/Secret Agent)

Old May 26 2013, 04:30 PM   #20
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I do think it's unfortunate that Martha was his "rebound companion". If the Doctor had been as obsessed with her as Rose, Amy or Clara I think it'd be harder to raise the question of race.

I think Indians/Pakis have probably been given short shrift the most considering they outnumber blacks in the UK from what I've read. SJA did a pretty good job with Clyde and Rani and they really grew on you by the end.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:38 PM   #21
Konata Izumi
Commander

Or more precisely, because they were the leftovers.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:42 PM   #22
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
SJA did a pretty good job with Clyde and Rani and they really grew on you by the end.
Agreed, far better treated than any of the minority characters under RTD's Who tenure.

Rani was fucking hawt too.
Old May 26 2013, 05:22 PM   #23
14thDoctor
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=Sindatur;8155981]
RTD era was racist as were a few classic stories but this article ignores all the actual cases? Black people were consistently portrayed as idiots under RTD.
Anyone that threatened the Rose/Doctor relationship was portrayed as an idiot by RTD. It's not an issue of racism, but of Davies feeling the need to build his characters up by tearing down those around them.
Really? They both walked off with Jack in Journeys End, so it's highly possible they ended up working together at Torchwood for a time... then there's the fact that they've both seen and done things that few other people on Earth could relate to, which as the Doctor has said, makes it harder to have a relationship with someone who hasn't done likewise... not to mention the time they both spent pining for people that didn't appreciate them... I could easily see them bonding over that.

But no, the reason has to be the colour of their skin.
14thDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 05:34 PM   #24
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Good lord!

Jack, Mickey and Martha had group sex.

And they kept having group sex until Jack wandered off bored and then, well... Two people is still a group.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 05:53 PM   #25
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyroc

I am watching "Chasing Liberty" a Mandy Moore Romcom about the pressure of dating when you're the first daughter, right now, and I still have the reserve to vomit a little more after learning about this Tyroc person.

Although, to be fair...

All the black people in the world didn't go to an island, it was just a handful of escaped slaves in the 19th century, who then invented super science and... If hyper intelligent telepathic Gorillas could invent super science before the rest of the world why not runaway African slaves half way to America?

Hitler originally wanted to send the Jews to Madagascar. No tricks. He just wanted them out of sight. It wasn't until the Reich Treasurer broke down the cost of humanely shifting that many people so far away, that things got out of hand.
The '70s were a weird time for the legion, another odd story is Cosmic Boy being revealed as a religious fundamentalist who assaults a female co-worker when she asked him to use his super-powers on a special holy day.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 05:53 PM   #26
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Rani was fucking hawt too.
The problem with actors of age playing underage characters, they sometimes make you feel guilty of fancying them.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Good lord!

Jack, Mickey and Martha had group sex.

And they kept having group sex until Jack wandered off bored and then, well... Two people is still a group.
If you're gonna write a fanfic on that, I'm gonna check it out.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 06:22 PM   #27
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

14thDoctor wrote: View Post
Anyone that threatened the Rose/Doctor relationship was portrayed as an idiot by RTD.

RTD wrote all his characters as idiots .

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
The problem with actors of age playing underage characters, they sometimes make you feel guilty of fancying them.
No guilt here .
Old May 26 2013, 08:57 PM   #28
The Wormhole
Admiral

Bah-wha? Doctor Who under RTD is one of the most racially diverse shows around.

Meanwhile, the article in the OP is bullshit. Maybe Doctor Who has never been a leading voice in getting more minorities on TV and admittedly classic Who is very much white man's TV. But that's a reality of TV in general in the 60s and 70s and it was never racially offensive. Except for Tomb of the Cybermen, that is. "You do not talk to him, he is my servant." That line sums everything up.
Old May 26 2013, 09:25 PM   #29
ROBE
Commander

Doctor Who is a 50 year show, so naturally to 21st century some of the stuff in the 60s or 70s are going to be insensitive to modern audiences. However a lot of their complaints are utterly mad, how is being a cricket fan racist?
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 11:01 PM   #30
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The number of white slaves in Doctor Who vastly outnumbers the amount of black slaves. Tomb of the Cybermen isn't racist, it's a terrific story.

Talons of Weng-Chiang is kinda racist, but it's a fucking awesome story.