TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 24 2013, 10:34 AM   #226
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Stan Lee is a carnival barker-- and he created one of the greatest carnivals in History.

I saw the Corman FF movie years ago. Of course it's "bad," because Corman does B-Movies. But what I really remember liking about it is that it captured the feel of the FF comic (at least as it was back in the day). That's the one thing that is always lacking from comic book-based movies and TV shows, no matter how good they are on their own merits-- they never capture the feel of the books.
Old May 24 2013, 11:53 AM   #227
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^ Bingo!
Old May 24 2013, 01:32 PM   #228
Christopher
Writer

I'm currently rewatching the '90s Spider-Man animated series on Netflix, and I feel that to this day it's the one Marvel show that most faithfully captures the spirit, tone, and storytelling style of the comics, for better or worse.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:59 PM   #229
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
I wish FOX Animation would release Spider-man and their X-Men 90's cartoons in one big collector set. Just seems odd they wouldn't have done so after all this time. Surely they've peaked at selling the individual 6eps at a time discs. Throw in some nice extras to entice a double dip.

Also, where is our Spider-man & his Amazing Friends set?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 03:39 AM   #230
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I didn't like Corman's version better than the big budget FF movies, but I did enjoy it.

At this point I'd love to see another superhero movie that takes more liberties with the comics than the Marvel/Paramount/Disney things do.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 08:25 AM   #231
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

A 50s/60s set Fantastic Four or a Marvel Nights series with their street-level heroes would give them some nice freedom from the stricter interpretations of the "marvel shared cinematic universe." The street-level heroes are particularly well suited to a more Nolan-esque approach. Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage, etc.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 10:09 AM   #232
RJDonner&Blitzen

^^ I'd love to see FF done as a period piece, as they did with X-Men: First Class and Captain America.

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
^ Bingo!

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm currently rewatching the '90s Spider-Man animated series on Netflix, and I feel that to this day it's the one Marvel show that most faithfully captures the spirit, tone, and storytelling style of the comics, for better or worse.
I'm not familiar with that one, but I will say that the 60s Spider-Man and Fantastic Four cartoons did come very close to capturing the spirit of the comics. And, of course, the Marvel Super-Heroes show literally captured the comics-- by cutting out the artwork from the books.
Old May 26 2013, 01:16 AM   #233
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ I never imagined Spidey sounding like he does in the 60s cartoon though.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 01:25 AM   #234
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I read an interview with Mark Millar and he's saying that the obvious undercurrent in the series is that Reed knows that te Submariner slept with Sue and he's not completely sure if he isn't supposed to kill Namor? He knows that he shouldn't... But he REALLY wants to.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 02:20 AM   #235
Christopher
Writer

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I will say that the 60s Spider-Man and Fantastic Four cartoons did come very close to capturing the spirit of the comics.
I don't know about the FF cartoon, but I definitely disagree about the '60s Spidey cartoon. It had the action of the comics, but left out the characterization, personal drama, and serialized plotting -- the very things Stan Lee added to comic-book storytelling that were so revolutionary and defined the Marvel approach. I don't think we got any Marvel cartoons that captured those aspects of Marvel's writing until the FOX X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons of the '90s. Those shows, especially the latter, captured the mix of qualities that characterized Lee's writing for better or worse: believable characterization and elaborate personal melodrama combined with wild, bizarre fantasy concepts and intensely corny dialogue.

Old May 26 2013, 10:00 AM   #236
RJDonner&Blitzen

^^ Well, it didn't have serialized plotting, of course, but the characterization and aesthetics were in line with the books. Or so I recall. It was 45 years ago and I was seven years old.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^ I never imagined Spidey sounding like he does in the 60s cartoon though.
You mean the voice actor?
Old May 26 2013, 10:14 AM   #237
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

My first interaction with Spider-Man was in the Electric Company, so I gobsmacked when I saw (heard) Spidey "talking" on screen in the olden days toon... Considering the date, it might have been Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends which was an absolute Tease... They went to a costume party and party goers are all dressed as X-Men.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 01:17 PM   #238
Christopher
Writer

^^ Well, it didn't have serialized plotting, of course, but the characterization and aesthetics were in line with the books.
No, they were both far cruder and not very accurate. For instance, there was only one episode in which a character named "Mary Jane" appeared, and she was portrayed as a ditzy go-go dancer and photography buff who happened to be Captain Stacy's niece (and neither of them looked like they did in the comics). Jameson was a regular character in at least the first season, and he was pretty faithfully portrayed, but most of the rest of the supporting cast was nowhere in sight.

Or so I recall. It was 45 years ago and I was seven years old.
The last time I watched it was only a few years ago. It's available on Marvel.com's video site, or it was then.

Old May 26 2013, 01:36 PM   #239
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Christopher wrote: View Post
I will say that the 60s Spider-Man and Fantastic Four cartoons did come very close to capturing the spirit of the comics.
I don't know about the FF cartoon, but I definitely disagree about the '60s Spidey cartoon. It had the action of the comics, but left out the characterization, personal drama, and serialized plotting -- the very things Stan Lee added to comic-book storytelling that were so revolutionary and defined the Marvel approach. I don't think we got any Marvel cartoons that captured those aspects of Marvel's writing until the FOX X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons of the '90s. Those shows, especially the latter, captured the mix of qualities that characterized Lee's writing for better or worse: believable characterization and elaborate personal melodrama combined with wild, bizarre fantasy concepts and intensely corny dialogue.
I agree with this completely. I was fortunate I grew up in the 90s. On top of those two, we had the Batman Animated Series. I think part of the reason for the success of the new comic movies is that the children of the 90s are now into adulthood so they can appreciate these stories on the big screen.

Don't get me wrong. None are perfect. I was confused in the first Spiderman movie seeing Green Goblin before Hobgoblin, but I quickly figured out why there was a change. Likewise, there's an awkward habit in the first season of X-Men for everyone to refer to each other exclusively by their superhero name even when in private, but they thankfully fixed that in future seasons. Either way, the stories, themes, and characters of the comics were pretty faithfully captured for those fortunate enough to see them.
Old May 26 2013, 05:08 PM   #240
Christopher
Writer

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Likewise, there's an awkward habit in the first season of X-Men for everyone to refer to each other exclusively by their superhero name even when in private, but they thankfully fixed that in future seasons.
Right. Coming to its pinnacle in the first-season finale where Scott proposed marriage to Jean and she replied with an impassioned "Ohhh, Cyclops!"