Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 26 2013, 04:17 AM   #61
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: is babylonian 5 any good

You have children.

Use them.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:26 AM   #62
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

If the technomage trilogy came out in hardcover tomorrow for 50.00 each I would buy it. It is that good. What I don't get is why you can't buy them all on kindle?!

(amazon link may contain spoilers in reviews)

I don't like going to libraries, they make me sleepy and my local one is always full of people talking about local issues which is awful. I would rather go to ebay.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 05:00 AM   #63
JD
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
It's hard to imagine that anyone who was satisfied by DS9's overall story arc could feel satisfied by Babylon 5. For example, if DS9's treatment of the Prophets seemed fitting, then Babylon 5's treatment of the Vorlons must seem outrageous. Or, if the human role in galactic affairs seems appropriate to human stature in DS9, then Babylon 5 must seem like some kind of self-flagellation. If Section 31 on DS9 seemed so cool, then Nightwatch on Babylon 5 must be some sort of maniacal leftwing caricature. If Sisko's apoetheosis in the cave of Mt. Doom seems like a satisfying climax, then Severed Dreams must be a nightmare.
Babylon 5 and DS9 are two of my all time favorite shows. I don't really see anywhere where there would be issues that would make liking one would make you less likely to like the other. There are a few kind of similarities in some of the ideas, but IMO they approached in different enough ways that I don't see any conflict.
Old May 26 2013, 07:38 AM   #64
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I hear the trilogies are the best and some of the numbered series is patchy in comparison. You definitely do not want to read the trilogies unless you have all 3! I paid at least 20 dollars for one of the books on ebay, very worth it.
$20? crap, I've been paying between $2-3 for them used, and at the rate I've been finding them, I figure I'll have them all by the end of the year.
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 08:09 AM   #65
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You know it doesn't work that way.

It will take you 7 years to find the second to last book and you will never find the last one.

People who take their books to the second hand store(ebay) are quitters, and most likely do not have love or resolve to keep collecting to the end of a series... So will not have the final books to hand over the the rag and bone man (ebay) the next to their love and resolve falters.

Scarlett Johansen has smelly feet.

Old May 26 2013, 09:08 AM   #66
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

Between here (Albuquerque) and this great used book chain in Oklahoma City (which I visit frequently) it's only a matter of time. Ironically the only reason I DON'T have all the B5 trilogies is because my last forray into said OKC book chain yielded the complete B5 RPG library (for about $35)
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 09:39 AM   #67
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Yowza!

You find something rare like that and wonder where the cheering throngs are.

Old May 26 2013, 10:12 AM   #68
Darth_Daver
Captain

I have all three trilogies, and only payed more than $25+shipping for two of them
And the second technomage book is signed to me by the author

And yes, I can confirm they are all damn good!
Darth_Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 12:39 PM   #69
Mr Light
Admiral

The Centauri and Technomage trilogies are the absolutely best. I'm actually re-reading the TM books right now and they're so well written. I love how they expand the scope of the series and explain all the unresolved stuff from the series. The Centauri Trilogy is the *REAL* ending of the B5 story.

The Psi Corps trilogy is also very good, but the first book I didn't care for because it doesn't star any characters from the show.

For the numbered novels, the only ones that "count" are #7 Shadow Within and #9 To Dream in the City of Sorrows.

Shadow is the story of Anna waking the Shadows and it's the weakest of the canon novels, it's not very epic or interesting. City is the story of Sinclair on Minbar and it's well written and interesting.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 12:47 PM   #70
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Do NOT watch In The Beginning first, it will spoil just about the entire series
I can't believe anybody suggests such a thing. The Londo framing story is spoilerific enough but the ending to the Minbari War is just.. a huge, defining mystery in the early parts of the show.

The Gathering is a bit clunky but it is highly atmospheric and hints at the show's potential. Takashima is also highly shaggable which doesn't hurt. Glad we got Ivanova instead though.

The following episode, Midnight on the Firing Line, is genuinely excellent and should fully hook a new viewer.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 12:51 PM   #71
MacLeod
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I'm inspired now, I'm going to watch Legend of the Rangers!! I haven't seen it properly yet.

:: pours tea ::
You might need something a tad stronger than tea.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 01:16 PM   #72
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

How many episodes did any of us ever think that it would apex with the return of DEl Varner... THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN EVER TO STEP FOOT ON BABYLON 5!

Old May 26 2013, 01:35 PM   #73
stj
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Unless you live in communist China, your public library should ave everything... Unless they've been stolen or treated very poorly and then sold because they're falling apart.

Don't just go to your nearest convenient library, check the online catalogue, which should tabulate all the libraries in your district/area/city/state-whatever as one giant database, and then a white panel van will drive for hours to bring that book to your personal library.

Ditto for comics.
I'm pretty sure that you don't live in the US. At least not in the red states.

First, libraries by policy sell books that are not checked out, to make space for popular books. They may make an exception for "classics," i.e., those that get onto school reading lists. These appear to be collated by unscientific polling of school librarians in library journals, by the way.

Second, those "white vans" cost money and they only run inside part of the official districts which budget for them. Interlibrary loans only come from within the system. The system may be as small as a single county.

Third, the tax laws are written so that a publishers' back list is punitive. (I think the trick is to count unsold books as taxable assets at full value, but I am probably confused on that, on second thought.) The result is that back lists are pared to the bone. Remainder sales are maximally priced, then I think they are pulped. Remainder houses like Edward R. Hamilton or mall outlets are not a very good deal.

The effect is that all books effectively go down the memory hole, and only get saved for commercial profit. The result satisfies those who think Orwell was a genius.
Old May 26 2013, 01:54 PM   #74
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
How many episodes did any of us ever think that it would apex with the return of DEl Varner... THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN EVER TO STEP FOOT ON BABYLON 5!
Morden, Bester and Kosh II didn't have SHIT on Del Varner. It's lucky he died before the Shadow War because he'd have exterminated both sides.

Never read a B5 novel, am currently loving the DS9 Relaunch. How does it compare to those books? I have pretty high standards for tie-in novels due to the exceptional quality of the Doctor Who VNA and EDA novel ranges.

Love Babylon 5 because it's an attempt to make a Dune saga or Tolkien mythology for the small screen. Appeals to me as Dune and The Silmarillion are my two most read books.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 02:00 PM   #75
Belz...
Fleet Captain

tmosler wrote: View Post
sorry thats babylon 5 I spelled it wrong
I had a hard time deciding which was my all-time favourite series: Babylon 5, or DS9. So I say yes, very very much so.

However, you have to know that the first season is a bit slow starting, and that it's far from having the FX level of Trek. If you can tolerate that, however, it's a hell of a series, in my opinion.

EDIT: Oh, and start with "The Gathering", the pilot. It's rather important.