Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 25 2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Greenağaç
Cadet

Romulan origin question

It seems widely accepted that the Romulans are decended from opponents of Surak and his teachings and that they left vulcan during the Time of Awakening but I can't remember this actually being out right stated in any episode.

Is this just some form of fanon or have I missed an important reference some where.

Since the Vulcans were building temples like P'Jem on other worlds as early as 3,000 years before the time of Enterprise is it possible that Romulus was just an Vulcan colony that lost contact with the homeworld during the awakening?
Greenağaç is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 02:49 PM   #2
SiddFinch1
Captain

Re: Romulan origin question

I don't think it is ever stated outright. I believe it is just in books and inferred that they are descended from Vulcan's who left.
Old May 25 2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Though it isn't spelled out exactly, Surak kind of told Archer this when he carried his katra in the Vulcan arc in Enterprise (probably in the episode "Awakening"). They look out on a landscape devastated by nuclear war and Surak tells him that those who rejected his teachings violently were "marching under raptor's wings" which is a reference to the symbol the Romulans still use as their national symbol.

Also, in TOS (in "Balance of Terror") Spock theorises that the Romulans are an off-shoot of the Vulcans that left because they rejected logic. This had been just a myth to him until he saw the face of the Romulan commander.
Old May 25 2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Been ages since I watched it, but isn't it discussed in TNG's Gambit as well?
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Metryq
Captain

The Preservers from "Paradise Syndrome" are to blame. They had moved a colony of primitive Vulcans to a new planet when someone finally realized they had gotten the home address wrong. "Not these violent ruffians! That other planet over there!"
Old May 25 2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Third Nacelle
Captain

It makes me wonder exactly how long Vulcans have been a spacefareing species, if an offshoot of them on another planet had time to develop into another species. They should be all over the galaxy by now.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 09:36 PM   #7
xvicente
Commander

Perhaps the Romulans have a founder who can be described as "like Khan, but his plan worked"

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 09:51 PM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral

According to Enterprise, the Vulcans who opposed Surak were known as "those who marched beneath the Raptor's wings." The implication being they do become Romulans. Also, Voyager's Death Wish has Q accusing the renegade Q known as Quinn of starting the 100 year war that resulted in the split between Vulcans and Romulans in one of his failed suicide attempts.

The idea of the Romulans being the descendants of Surak's opponents is by no means fanon at all. Maybe it's missing that One Direct Reference, but there's no real reason to assume it isn't so either.
Old May 25 2013, 09:55 PM   #9
MacLeod
Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
It makes me wonder exactly how long Vulcans have been a spacefareing species, if an offshoot of them on another planet had time to develop into another species. They should be all over the galaxy by now.
but a technology could in theroy be lost/rejected etc.. Only to be re-discovered.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Didn't ENT establish the Vulcan's weren't overly huge on exploring? Certainly compared to humans
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 10:10 PM   #11
The Wormhole
Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
Didn't ENT establish the Vulcan's weren't overly huge on exploring? Certainly compared to humans
Throughout the early years that is the stated philosopy among Vulcans, though the season 4 arc consisting of The Forge, Awakening, and Kir'shara kind of debunks this. Particularly, in The Forge, Syrran tells Archer the Vulcan High Command originally started off as Vulcan's space exploration service before taking over the government. Archer comments that he heard Vulcans weren't into space exploration and Syrran says "I'm sure you've been told many things which aren't true about Vulcans."
Old May 25 2013, 10:20 PM   #12
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Romulans aren't a separate species. Their differences with the Vulcans are mainly cultural.

Surak lived in the 4th Century and the Vulcans seem to have been a space faring, advanced culture at that time. Though the wars of that period probably caused a "Dark Age" where much advancement was lost and many things had to be rediscovered afterwards. My assumption is that contact with most of Vulcan's colonies was lost at this time and those worlds evolved into different cultures.
Old May 26 2013, 04:49 AM   #13
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

It's never stated outright how long ago Vulcans diverged genetically from Romulans.

It's interesting to say they are the same species. Technically most of the races in the galaxy are the same species, because the scientific definition of a species is a group of organisms who can produce fertile offspring. So by the scientific definition, humans and klingons are the same species, as are most of the humanoid races in the galaxy.

Vulcans and Romulans probably diverged more recently than some races of humans on earth, say a few thousand years ago, so they probably are the same species even though they're always referred to as different species.

And I suppose if Simon Tarses could fool all the blood tests, that confirms that they are biologically indistinguishable.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:53 AM   #14
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander

Wasn't there a species in TNG that were specifically referred to as being proto-Vulcan?

Perhaps Romulans are just another Vulcanoid species.
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:56 AM   #15
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Lt. Uhura-Brown wrote: View Post
Wasn't there a species in TNG that were specifically referred to as being proto-Vulcan?

Perhaps Romulans are just another Vulcanoid species.
The Mintakans. There is also a Vulcanoid race in the Rigel system.