TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old May 26 2013, 01:53 AM   #31
MarsWeeps
Captain

Re: Star Trek Continues "Pilgrim of Eternity"

DCR wrote: View Post
See for me, the Holodeck fell completely flat. Part of it is that I see it as the one great technological leap separating TNG era from TOS era - so it doesn't belong in a TOS-era series. Not in my opinion, anyways. Also, and this is a big complaint, it did nothing for the story. Nothing.
It threw me off track. When they were debating on whether or not it was safe to find a planet for Apollo to live out his remaining days, I thought the Holodeck was going to come into play. I figured they would somehow use it to give Apollo the illusion of a settling on a planet.

I have no idea why it was even in the episode other than to establish its existence for possible use in a future story.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 01:55 AM   #32
Captain Atkin
Commander

See for me, the Holodeck fell completely flat. Part of it is that I see it as the one great technological leap separating TNG era from TOS era - so it doesn't belong in a TOS-era series. Not in my opinion, anyways. Also, and this is a big complaint, it did nothing for the story. Nothing.

Take it out and you lose nothing but the call-out to Spectre of the Gun, and none of it's referenced again in the episode.
Roddenberry wrote the concept of the "Holodeck" into Star Trek: The Next Generation, but the concept had already been tested in 1974 in Star Trek: the Animated Series, where it was referred to as the "recreation room." The holodeck was also discussed in some of the later TOS novels, that took place just after Star Trek VI, with Captain Kirk testing it out.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 01:56 AM   #33
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
It threw me off track. When they were debating on whether or not it was safe to find a planet for Apollo to live out his remaining days, I thought the Holodeck was going to come into play. I figured they would somehow use it to give Apollo the illusion of a settling on a planet.

I have no idea why it was even in the episode other than to establish its existence for possible use in a future story.
Yeah, it's a Chekhov's gun failure. By introducing it the way they did, it should have been important, but it wasn't.

That doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy the episode. But I can see room for improvement with the next.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 02:03 AM   #34
feek61
Captain

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
I
Larry Nemecek as Bones. He wasn't bad, I liked the expressiveness of his acting, but I liked Chuck Huber better in the vignettes. I think part of the problem is that he seemed a bit too much like Dr. Piper from the first pilot than McCoy...
I watched this late last night at 3 am. I have to admit that when I first saw the doctor appear on screen, my first thought was "Dr. Piper is in this?" I think he looks and sounds more like Piper than he does Bones. All in all, I thought this was a great first episode. They did a really great job, and there was a lot of easter eggs in the episode for fans to enjoy. The introduction of the holodeck was also inspired. All of the acting was top notch. Chris Doohan as Scotty was beyond amazing!

Take it out and you lose nothing but the call-out to Spectre of the Gun, and none of it's referenced again in the episode.
It wasn't really a call-out to "Spectre of the Gun," it was a nod to Gene Roddenberry's writing for "Have Gun Will Travel" (BTW, Doug Drexler was the "Paladin" character on the holodeck). GR wrote a TON of "Have Gun Will Travel" episodes (I think about half) and that scene was a little Easter egg. As mentioned earlier the holodeck concept was introduced in TAS and in this episode Scotty mentioned it was experimental. I don't have an issue with the scene honestly.
Old May 26 2013, 02:09 AM   #35
MarsWeeps
Captain

feek61 wrote: View Post
It wasn't really a call-out to "Spectre of the Gun," it was a nod to Gene Roddenberry's writing for "Have Gun Will Travel"
Not related to this thread but did they use your graphics on the bridge display panels? They don't look as animated as the ones on the Ajax bridge.
Old May 26 2013, 02:14 AM   #36
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

I missed the "Have Gun, Will Travel" reference almost completely. Then again, I don't think I've seen an episode since around 1975, as I'm not a big western fan. I haven't watched much TAS in decades, either.

I simply didn't think the scene added to the story, and even with the use in TAS, it really doesn't feel right for me in TOS.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 05:17 AM   #37
PhaseIIforever
Ensign

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
I
Larry Nemecek as Bones. He wasn't bad, I liked the expressiveness of his acting, but I liked Chuck Huber better in the vignettes. I think part of the problem is that he seemed a bit too much like Dr. Piper from the first pilot than McCoy...
I watched this late last night at 3 am. I have to admit that when I first saw the doctor appear on screen, my first thought was "Dr. Piper is in this?" I think he looks and sounds more like Piper than he does Bones. All in all, I thought this was a great first episode. They did a really great job, and there was a lot of easter eggs in the episode for fans to enjoy. The introduction of the holodeck was also inspired. All of the acting was top notch. Chris Doohan as Scotty was beyond amazing!

See, I liked the teaser because the gunman was Paladin from another NBC show Have Gun Will Travel that would often do morality tales not too far afield of Star Trek. And it was played by f/x guru Doug Drexler.
PhaseIIforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 05:20 AM   #38
PhaseIIforever
Ensign

I think having Paladin is a nod to the kind of stories that they had in HGWT and Star Trek, morality plays.
PhaseIIforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 06:28 AM   #39
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I really enjoyed this. They managed to capture the feel of the original series better than any fanfilm I've seen and the cast is really strong. Michael Forest was great, Vic Mignogna makes a very Shatnerian Kirk and Chris Doohan does his father proud as Scotty. And I LOVED that Uhura got to sing a song!

I can't wait to see more from this team.

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
Nice to see Michael Forest again. Have to admit I need to rewatch as the on-again, off-again hairpiece threw me as it came sorta out of nowhere in sickbay (the first time, iirc). Strong -- has hair; weak -- balding, I suppose.
Yeah, the hair grew back when he had powered up- after the church session in the rec room and after his sacrifice in sickbay.

Doctor Piper was in "Where No Man Has Gone Before." "The Cage" had Doctor Boyce.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 06:46 AM   #40
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Still no YouTube link?
Old May 26 2013, 09:00 AM   #41
Maurice
Vice Admiral

feek61 wrote: View Post
GR wrote a TON of "Have Gun Will Travel" episodes (I think about half)
Nope. IMDB lists him on 24 episodes out of 225, so about 1 in 10.

On to the STC episode...

A very solid effort. One of the best fan films...but still obviously a fan film with all that implies. For example, too much attention paid to connecting the dots (holodeck, counselor, etc.), and stunt casting.

I know lots of people don't like Vic, but despite his obvious Shatner impersonation I found him the least cringe-worthy fanfilm Captain yet. I don't usually comment on the acting in fan-films because mostly the performers are not trained actors, but in this production there's a real clear divide between the cans and cannots which makes the latter stand out in sharper relief. Michael Forest was the best actor in the thing by far, but that's not surprising.

The episode has the best camera work I've seen in one of these, and the quality of the photography is a bit better than Phase II on the whole, but still suffers from underlighting. Engineering, turn on some lamps!

There are some of the usual mismatched eyeline problems, e.g. in the corridor Dr. McKennah looks screen right at Apollo. Apollo look screen right to her. Oops.

And, as with almost all fanfilms the Captain doesn't motivate the action of make hard decisions. Here he's acquiescing and seeking consensus; this is inherently anti-dramatic.

Jamie Bamber = Apollo. haha

While I have issues galore with the opening scene, if you gotta stick subtle homage in, having the cowboy be Paladin from Have Gun Will Travel is a damned good & sneaky choice.

The shot of Kirk being dangled in the air is terrific.

I see some people have given away plot points, but I'm going to Spoiler Code my detailed critique points so as not to ruin any surprises.

—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; May 27 2013 at 05:12 AM.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 11:38 AM   #42
xortex
Commodore

Kirk stops McCoy from helping athena bacause of the non interference directive. Now if apollo asked him to help her, it would have been a different story. The counselor probably asked the security guard to use the phaser knowing that her shooting him would have a different effect than them and he wouldn't expect it and wouldn't harm her as he wanted to. How do you know uhura didn't have a good reason to reach back to her console to do something important forgoing Scotty's warning? They probably removed Apollo's restraints because of good behavior or he broke them or made them disappear. Apollo wasn't dumped on some planet. That is an assumption on your part with no basis. He had the power to go wherever he wanted to go. There's no reason to assume that he didn't want to go there. That's five things. One more and you get a cupie doll. (and spanked)
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 12:46 PM   #43
feek61
Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Still no YouTube link?
Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ
Old May 26 2013, 04:31 PM   #44
MarsWeeps
Captain

xortex wrote: View Post
How do you know uhura didn't have a good reason to reach back to her console to do something important forgoing Scotty's warning?
Because she reached back to pick up Athena's brooch which was lying on the console.
Old May 26 2013, 05:52 PM   #45
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
And, as with almost all fanfilms the Captain doesn't motivate the action of make hard decisions. Here he's acquiescing and seeking consensus; this is inherently anti-dramatic.
That's a fair observation, but I think the story is interesting enough that it didn't especially bother me.

Maurice wrote: View Post
I know lots of people don't like Vic, but despite his obvious Shatner impersonation I found him the least cringe-worthy fanfilm Captain yet.
Well boo. Guess the rest of us should just quit now then.

Overall, I thought the acting was fine.

xortex wrote: View Post
Kirk stops McCoy from helping athena bacause of the non interference directive.
That's completely nonsensical, and not supported by what we see on screen.

Last edited by USS Intrepid; May 26 2013 at 06:26 PM.
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote