Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 25 2013, 06:26 PM   #181
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

Well if MS handles transferring a game to a new owner, it is possible the devloper will get a slice of that pie.

As I said before and others, having somesort of DRM on the X1 could mean developers favour it and MS is able to get more exclusives because the devlopers know that people either have to buy the game new, or if they buy a used copy via somesort of Xbox Live Marketplace the developer still gets a share of the sale.

It'll be interesting to see how the X1 does in it's two key markets the UK and the US where it has sold more than other consoles.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 07:14 PM   #182
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
Very interesting!! I don't see what's so objectionable about this arrangement other than the 24 hour mandatory log in.
This system would still prevent the ability to borrow games from friends, which is actually a bigger deal for me than the used game issue. I typically buy games new and normally don't trade them in, but borrowing games from friends has been a part of my gaming experience since the days of the Sega Master System. This generation alone I borrowed Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Just Cause, and Portal (The Orange Box, technically) and I enjoyed them so much that I bought them for myself and the sequels.

I went along with the restrictions on PC games because piracy was a legitimate problem on that platform, but extending them to consoles just seems like a short-sighted cash-grab.
Old May 25 2013, 07:48 PM   #183
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

This 12 minute video does a very good job summing up all the issues related to the Xbox One. Very comprehensive.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/m...x-one-reaction

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 09:01 PM   #184
MacLeod
Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Very interesting!! I don't see what's so objectionable about this arrangement other than the 24 hour mandatory log in.
This system would still prevent the ability to borrow games from friends, which is actually a bigger deal for me than the used game issue. I typically buy games new and normally don't trade them in, but borrowing games from friends has been a part of my gaming experience since the days of the Sega Master System. This generation alone I borrowed Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Just Cause, and Portal (The Orange Box, technically) and I enjoyed them so much that I bought them for myself and the sequels.

I went along with the restrictions on PC games because piracy was a legitimate problem on that platform, but extending them to consoles just seems like a short-sighted cash-grab.
So if piracy is becomming a problem on consoles, and it was ok to implement measures to combat piracy on PC's, what's the difference between doing it on a PC and a console?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old May 25 2013, 09:21 PM   #185
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post

So if piracy is becomming a problem on consoles, and it was ok to implement measures to combat piracy on PC's, what's the difference between doing it on a PC and a console?
It's warranted on neither, in my opinion.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 09:51 PM   #186
MacLeod
Admiral

Well if people didn't illegally copy games, we wouldn' need it would we? It tends to be the small minority who spoil things for everyone else.
Old May 25 2013, 09:55 PM   #187
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Well if people didn't illegally copy games, we wouldn' need it would we? It tends to be the small minority who spoil things for everyone else.
You'll always have pirates. It doesn't really matter whether there's DRM or not for those who want to pirate. They should be trying to make it easier for people who want to pay for games to be able to do so. Why spend millions, hundreds of millions on coming up with DRM technologies when people will crack them in no time?

Valve have got it right, piracy is a service issue not a security issue.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
Old May 25 2013, 10:02 PM   #188
MacLeod
Admiral

SO because people will crack them, they shouldn't try.

That's like saying people will break into peoples home but the police shouldn't try to stop them.
Old May 25 2013, 10:12 PM   #189
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Bullshit. Video game sales are higher than ever. Yes, piracy is a legitimate problem, but the idea that publishers need draconian DRM in order to survive is absolutely not true. It's pure, short-term greed. Nothing more.

The real problem that publishers face is the ludicrous budgets of AAA games, but that's a discussion for another day.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 10:18 PM   #190
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

That's like saying people will break into peoples home but the police shouldn't try to stop them.
No, more along the lines of they shouldn't beat guests as they come in to your B&B because there's burglaries been reported in the area.
Old May 25 2013, 11:14 PM   #191
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Well.. it will come down to this.

Which company has the bigger balls and which blinks first?

Sony went ahead of MS and confirmed that the PS4 will not require a pernanent online connection which put MS under a huge spotlight. As i have said already i firmly believe that MS planned an always on connection feature for the XBO but had to frantically change course when the shitstorm hit. They said it won't need a permanent connection but first reports already talk about it needing at least a connection once every 24h which makes it a sort of "light" version.

So there will be this distinction at first.. now it will be about used games. Very big issue with gamers who either like to swap games or trade them in at Ebay or somewhere else to use the money and in many cases buy newer games. The general customer who maybe starts up the box once a week or so if the mood strikes is totally unaware that he will not be able to lend or rent a game.. how will they react?

On the technical side both consoles will be similar enough from what i can gather so it will be features, cost and game support that will decide this race (if there will even be a clear winner).

MS wants the XBO to be a media center that also plays games.. i know nobody who's exited about all the additional features it supposedly will have (at least for US customers.. it depends how these TV features and such will translate to the rest of the world) so there's stuff with the XBO that you will actually not need or want driving the price up.

PS4 seems to concentrate more on the gaming front though the PS Eye will be included together with the new controller that allows for some motion detection (though it doesn't seem to be as sophisticated as Kinect 2).

Someone said eariler that publishers push for all these DRM features and i agree but the bucket also stops with the customers. Without them neither the publisher nor the console manufacturer will earn anything.
Sometimes companies take it too far (Sony has already learned that lesson) and have to back off.. it might take a while for lost income to become a game changer but it has happened before.

So who will have the bigger balls and goes against the other company? If both had agreed on always on the customer would have been screwed because there would have been no alternative (and a hardcore gamer buying a Wii U? Please...). Who will have the guts to stick to their plan and risk this entire generation's race?

From the very few facts available i am firmly leaning in the PS4 camp right now because some features of the XBO are a huge no for me.

- backdoor "light" version of an always on feature
- the microphone of the XBO Kinect 2 being always on (has to be if you want to control the XBO via voice command but i'll be damned if i trust any company with my privacy)
- price may become an issue (they way it looks now XBO will be more expensive than the PS4 because of Kinect 2 and other features unless MS heavily subsidizes the console)

The following weeks and months will be filled with more news.. i don't expect much hard data from E3 (this will mostly be about games and the shiny graphics the new consoles will be able to present) but late summer will be interesting when release dates and prices will be announced.
Old May 26 2013, 12:11 AM   #192
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

If piracy was as big a problem on consoles as it was on PC then I could see a moral argument being made in favour of this form of DRM, but even then I don't think it would be reasonable. Piracy on consoles involves messing with the firmware, and if you bring your modded console online you risk your account being banned. It's not a perfect system, but it would be far more reasonable for MS to devote their resources to tracking modded consoles and hitting pirates directly than pursuing their current plans, which involve blanket restrictions on legitimate customers. Since piracy on PC is much more widespread, much easier to perform, and much harder to fight directly, I can understand why broader restrictions are enforced. (But even on PC, I refuse to accept DRM that goes too far, such as SimCity's always-online requirement.)

But I think most of us know that MS isn't pursuing this policy to go after pirates, but because of the used games market. Publishers have been bitching about used game sales on consoles for the last few years, with some even going to ridiculous lengths and claiming that it's destroying the industry. I can see no moral argument to support DRM aimed at used games because there is nothing illegal or immoral about them. I can understand why publishers are annoyed by companies like Gamestop that make money from the practice, but that's no excuse to screw over their customers.
Old May 26 2013, 12:26 AM   #193
MacLeod
Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post

No, more along the lines of they shouldn't beat guests as they come in to your B&B because there's burglaries been reported in the area.
No it isn't, piracy is a crime. It is only natural developers will want to implement measures to try and combat a loss to their revenue. Now we as a consumer might not always like them. And yes some people will crack them. But just because crime does and will happen doesn't mean that it should stop being fought.

You are a games developer, one console is trying to help you combat this by somesort of DRM measure. The same console is changing the way second hand games are handled so you as a developer will earn a share of the re-sale of a game.

Either with a first-time buyer or a re-sale you earn money. Sounds like a win to me. So the X1 might be more attractive to devlop for, do exclusives for.

Now of course some of the featues might put off some people from buying the console, the question is how big is that perentage? <1%, 1%, 10% etc...

We now accept DRM measures on PC games, and I suspect there where the same complaints when it was brought in for PC's as there is now about consoles. That isn't to say the measures they are bringing in are the right measures, would many of us object to having to enter a code like we do now on most PC games?

The primary issue should be around the 24hr log on issue. Perhaps the 24hr log on issue is to do with checking to make sure no one else is using your copy of the game? Though I think if you don't have the internet the console should work without the check, and perhaps only check if you've set the console up so that it is connected to the internet.
Old May 26 2013, 01:01 AM   #194
MacLeod
Admiral

Found this re: PS4 and patent for blocking used games

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/sony-pat...-games-6401992

Now of ocurse as the article says it doesn't mean the patent will be accept or even used, but Sony are looking along the same lines as MS.
Old May 26 2013, 05:17 AM   #195
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

It seems to me that game developers have been trying to get out of the idea of games as products and move it more towards a service model. That's what MMO, DLC and Multiplayer has been all about. I imagine that in the next gen, these games will come with a EULA that declares that when we buy a game, we are merely purchasing a license to play and not the actual product itself. This will be the rationale for them cutting themselves into the used game market. SIM CITY actually went as far as to state that you bought the product "as is" and this is why they legally didn't have to give anyone refunds when that piece of shit didn't work for weeks.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote