Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 25 2013, 05:29 PM   #16
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Babylon 5 - Why 'Sinclair' left the show

Double post.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 05:33 PM   #17
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I like Jerry Doyle's acting but he comes across as a real nasty piece of work in real life so I'm not gonna bank too much on his account of things.

Mysterion wrote: View Post
O'Hare's portrayal of sinclair in the first season of B5 is not wooden in any sense of the word. Sinclair when we see him is a broken person. He's got what is possibly the worst case of PTSD in the history of the human race. And O'Hare's performance is a nuanced and sensetive portrayal of this.
Yup. He's pitch perfect. I like Boxleitner too but O'Hare's performance is a huge part of getting the audience involved in the show's story. This is the scene that got me hooked on B5.

The transformation from a broken man to calm, collected messiah is the greatest character arc in the show. Man, I wanna rewatch B5 now .
Old May 25 2013, 05:41 PM   #18
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Yep, that's an excellent example of whay O'Hare brought to the table.

I'd also point out the scene between Garibaldi confronts Sinclair about his behavior in Infection.

Boxleitner was good as well, but he brought something different to the series. Sheridan was a very different type of person from Sinclair.
Old May 25 2013, 05:49 PM   #19
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Boxleitner was good but much more of a traditional TV leading man. O'Hare's acting choices were frequently more offbeat and interesting, and his character had a lot more depth. Sheridan doesn't really change much at all from his first episode to his final appearance.

Seriously, I feel fucking crazy for listing Season 1 as my favourite B5 season but it's true. I love that early mysterious vibe to the show and the cast's chemistry was never better. I know 3 and 4 are the show at its best but I find myself rewatching 1 a lot more. It's the season with the most atmosphere. And it has the best damn opening title sequence I've ever seen. The Season 2 version is shit in comparison.

"It can be a dangerous place..."

*Sinclair turns the corner with a gun as BADASS music kicks in*

Last edited by DalekJim; May 25 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old May 25 2013, 05:54 PM   #20
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Well, while a lot of folks deride Season 1 for a number of reasons (the effects, acting, etc.), it is the foundation that the rest of the series necessarily stands on. JMS is very actively setting-up almost everything else that happens in Babylon 5 in that first season. If you ignore it, you're missing out on a lot when you get down the road.

I think it's time I sat down with the DVDs and watvched this series front-to-back again.
Old May 25 2013, 06:00 PM   #21
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
Jerry Doyle has never been anything but boorish on the subject of Michael O'hare. The ONLY source (other than Jerry) for rumors of Michael using drugs came from a disgruntled con organizer who stiffed Michael for the payment he was due.

If Jerry was actually aware of the facts of Michael's struggle and still managed to be as unkind as I've personally heard him to be...(deletes harsh laguage)...it doesn't speak well of Jerry in any way, shape or form.

Jan
I seem to remember Doyle made a number of claims about O'Hare including claiming he hit on an intern.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 06:13 PM   #22
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Jerry Doyle also believes Obama is a planted Muslim spy so y'know, best not to put too much value in his words. And this is coming from somebody who hates Obama.

Mysterion wrote:
Well, while a lot of folks deride Season 1 for a number of reasons (the effects, acting, etc.), it is the foundation that the rest of the series necessarily stands on. JMS is very actively setting-up almost everything else that happens in Babylon 5 in that first season. If you ignore it, you're missing out on a lot when you get down the road.
I don't even just appreciate it as set-up, I think it's just an awesome season in of itself. Love that blue collar, gritty atmosphere which is completely absent from every later season. The station really feels like a dangerous, lively ghetto. Afterwards, the emphasis is more on outside threats so the show loses its atmosphere in favour of larger, epic storytelling. Bit of a shame really.
Old May 25 2013, 06:19 PM   #23
JoeD80
Captain

What Jerry said on the radio show was that he personally thought Michael was crazy and that he demanded the producers remove him or Jerry would leave the show. Jerry has the air of someone who thinks he's the reason for existence. There's zero evidence that Jerry's personal disagreements with Michael had anything to do with it, and the reveal of a personal medical issue just makes Jerry seem like more of an ass for saying these things.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 06:30 PM   #24
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Very sad indeed.

Thanks for sharing.
Old May 25 2013, 07:26 PM   #25
hadd001
Lieutenant

Thanks for sharing this story.
hadd001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 07:58 PM   #26
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Wow. Thank you very much for sharing this story.

Honestly, this is a bit surreal. I always figured this would be one of those mysteries which never gets solved. Where we have some theories, and we're almost sure of the answer... but its really all just speculation by people who don't know, while those that do will never tell. But now JMS has. Kudos to him, and to O'Hare for wanting/allowing the story to be told after his passing.

As for O'Hare himself, I though he was brilliant as Sinclair. I much prefer Sinclair to Sheridan and O'Hare's acting has a lot to do with that.

We can only speculate about what B5 would be like had Sinclair been the central character for all five seasons, but I'm certain it wouldn't have been any less spectacular.
Old May 25 2013, 08:21 PM   #27
inflatabledalek
Captain

I seem to remember Doyle made a number of claims about O'Hare including claiming he hit on an intern.
It's not just Doyle though, I was at a Q&A session with Claudia Christian and Peter Jurassic they not only told the story about a regular being sacked for sexual harrasment (though they didn't name him. Apparently as a result the remaining cast were asked to sign "We promise not to perve over co-workers" style agreements that were met with some mockery), but when asked "Who was the biggest diva?" responded as one with "Michael O'Hare"

It looks as if no one else knew of the bigger problems he was having and just bore the brunt of the after effects without realising why he was behaving so oddly. Now this has been made public knowledge, they might change their views of him.
Old May 25 2013, 08:33 PM   #28
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Just watched my favourite B5 S1 episode, Believers. Great performances from Michael and Richard. Shame they're both gone .
Old May 25 2013, 08:49 PM   #29
JoeD80
Captain

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
Claudia Christian and Peter Jurassic they not only told the story about a regular being sacked for sexual harrasment
If they did, it wasn't referring to Michael.

Claudia said in interviews at the time that she was surprised Michael didn't return for season two.

Peter said Michael's issue was just that he had a hard time being the "#1 on the set."

I recall that some behind-the-scenes people did get fired for sexual liaisons on-set. Not an actor though.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 11:50 PM   #30
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Damn.. sad to hear about a person struggling so much.

My impression of JMS was not so well after B5 concluded.. it seemed he went a bit sour and could never live down the fact it didn't become as huge as Star Trek or Star Wars.. inflated ego came to mind.

However huge bonus points for keeping his word to a troubled and now dead man.. sad to say but that has become quite rare today and especially in the cutthroat media business.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote