Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 25 2013, 11:39 PM   #136
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Well, Nerdbastards, Moviehole and other sites have Joe Cornish in the frame to take over Trel III with JJ busy on bigger franchises.

Now we in the UK know Joe as the public schoolboy partner of Adam Buxton in an odd assortment of childish, lewd or just plain weird comedy shows, often including nods to geeky fan favourites. Not the sort of idiot you'd let anywhere a major movie.

However, decent low budget productions such as Attack The Block got him involved in writing the Antman script for Marvel, and now...Trek ?

What do you think ?
Old May 26 2013, 12:10 AM   #137
Belz...
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
Small nitpick: the Borg were not automatons until
Even in "Q Who" they were nothing more than robotic zombies.
You mean that collective super-counsciousness didn't count ?

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
The Whale Probe in STIV was certainly an antagonist, albeit an unintentional and unconventional one, but arguably the bigger antagonist of the film was 20th century humans.
That's taking the definition of "antagonist" a bit far for me.
Old May 26 2013, 12:40 AM   #138
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Klingons! This will be a linked trilogy.

The 5-year mission is to set things up for the animated series.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 01:22 AM   #139
Supervisor 194
Captain

Hmm...

A borg attack threatens to wipe out the entire Federation, so Kirk revives the Botany Bay survivors (whose super-blood makes them resistant to assimilation) to make a last stand.

Check out my collection of original comic book art
Supervisor 194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 01:40 AM   #140
Flake
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Well, Nerdbastards, Moviehole and other sites have Joe Cornish in the frame to take over Trel III with JJ busy on bigger franchises.

Now we in the UK know Joe as the public schoolboy partner of Adam Buxton in an odd assortment of childish, lewd or just plain weird comedy shows, often including nods to geeky fan favourites. Not the sort of idiot you'd let anywhere a major movie.

However, decent low budget productions such as Attack The Block got him involved in writing the Antman script for Marvel, and now...Trek ?

What do you think ?
I used to watch the Adam and Joe show on channel 4, so its kind of weird seeing him perhaps take on a Star Trek movie!

This isn't Joe, its Adam

Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 02:01 AM   #141
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed ATTACK THE BLOCK, so going proto-Edgar Wright is not a bad call IMO.

In a perfect world, I'd go with writer/director Tom McCarthy, but only if it was starting over from scratch and didn't have to cater to summer audience pyro levels. Based on repeated viewings of THE STATION AGENT and having just seen and been blown away by THE VISITOR (no relation to DS9), this guy is genius on character, and the latter had some surprisingly clever cinematic moments as well.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 08:04 AM   #142
Eddie Roth
Commodore

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Borg could be pretty darn cool, if they're less the bad guy and more of a hurricane that rolls into town - implacable alien invaders who stomp on the well-laid plans of protagonist and antagonist alike.
Exactly my thoughts. I just mused about this a little after seeing FC again a few days ago: The reason why the film has always irked me is that it 1. feels rather small (it's a bottle show really) and 2. that the Borg were treated as, yes, space zombies who were under the control of a conniving seductress - very pulpy. The reason why the Borg worked in TNG in the first place was, IMO, not so much their being cyborgs, but their hive mind, the fact that you couldn't negotiate with them or easily destroy them. They were a sort of totalitarian anti-Federation which also gave their confrontation with the Enterprise an interesting political angle.

Now usually in stories of this nature, there is a group of villains who have a leader - the objective becomes to defeat the leader so that the followers are not a threat anymore. But since the Borg have no leader, defeating one of them, or an entire ship of theirs, becomes all the more futile. That's their original appeal, and FC diminished that by introducing the queen.

It was on a VGR episode that a character said (Arturis in Hope and Fear, I believe) that he considers the Borg a force of nature, essentially comparing them to a hurricane or something: You can't really fight it, but you can try to defend as best you can and, when it's gone, rebuild. That is what the Borg should be.

But really no matter how they would do it, I think the Borg have a mass appeal that TPTB would be foolish not to exploit for ST13, and considering how fresh and exciting they have made several aspects of Trek canon in this new iteration, I have much confidence that they could pull off the same feat with the Borg.

I say: Bring them on!

EDIT: Also, concerning the problem of "giving the villain a face", couldn't you just see the Borg assimilating, say, Spock and him then showing up on the Enterprise's viewscreen declaring "I am Locutus of Borg. You life as it has been is over. Etc."? Seems like something they would think about.

Last edited by Eddie Roth; May 31 2013 at 08:15 AM.
Eddie Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 10:34 AM   #143
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

There was a mention of "Mudd" with respect to the shuttle in this movie. Not sure if that rules out Harry Mudd for the next movie or not.

I did love the latest movie, but it maybe a good idea to have less "darkness" and more fun and adventure in the next one (but hopefully no Ferengi). They can do Borg or Wrath/Vengeance of Khan in the 4th movie.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 03:45 AM   #144
SiddFinch1
Commander

Mirror universe! But this time ship v ship battles...it would be awesome if done right
Old June 1 2013, 04:19 AM   #145
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Kirk's new Genesis blood causes him to age at exponential rate, becoming a much older version of himself!!
Old June 1 2013, 07:12 AM   #146
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

me and my dad both want to see a war with the klingons.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 07:29 AM   #147
Seska
Lieutenant

Give Khan a rest for now. He deserves one.

A Borg plot would be wretched, mostly because bringing chaos to order on the Kathy level should take Kirk about a single episode at most. Why waste a whole movie on that? Thatís not a jab at Janeway, btw.

If they had to go Borg, I think Iíd want the next film to end with the Enterprise lost in space. That way, they could pick up Christine somewhere along the way and maybe a Medusan, too, to help our crew find their way home for Star Trek 14, a show, a cartoon, a song and a dance, whatever. Just keep bringing on the Trek.

At any time or place in my book, the Klingons are always cool and most welcome, as are Romulans. Iím also into a non-villain scheme. I crave only the telling of an original story with a rich Trek flavor.

Also, nuDavid must be spawned. So Kirk/Carol for as long as thatís needed, but a long-term monogamous Kirk would be too astonishing, jarring, and farfetched for my tastes. The Wrath of Carol Marcus sounds a bit catchy as far as titles go. However, I fear the aspect of the Trek as ďa guy thingĒ could be ruinously queered if such a route is taken. We canít have that.

From the Delta Quadrant with Love,
Seska
Old June 1 2013, 07:36 AM   #148
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Definitely Klingons. The creators have claimed they gave us "just a taste" of them in STID for a reason, anyway.
Old June 1 2013, 10:49 AM   #149
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Seska wrote: View Post
If they had to go Borg, I think Iíd want the next film to end with the Enterprise lost in space.
If they go Borg, I hope it's more of a Q Who scenario where they encounter them far from Earth. I'm a bit tired of threats to Earth. It's not more compelling to me if I see the Golden Gate bridge, guys.
Old June 1 2013, 04:46 PM   #150
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Some suggestions:
1. Klingon mind-sifter
2. Saavik - She turns up as Spock's love child after Spock's teenage liason with the Romulan Commader (girl)
3. Romulans, Klingons, the Federation team up against a common galaxy threatening foe.
4. The cew comes upon the Guardian of Forever and have a chance to stop Nero but this means negating most of their existence.
5. They team up with a very normal Captain Janice Lester

Lame? Well maybe thats why I'm not a Hollywood script writer

Last edited by CommishSleer; June 1 2013 at 04:59 PM.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote