Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 23 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
SeerSGB
Admiral

So are we finally seeing the waning days of Facebook?

Teens leaving Facebook

Facebook is still the social media king, but teens are using Twitter and Instagram at an increasing rate recently because, well, there’s just too much drama and gossip on Facebook.
That sort of goes along with the culture of Facebook. "Sharing" and "connecting". People are going to see what you post and they're going to either comment on it, share it, or both. Which leads to every dog havng his say.

“While Facebook is still deeply integrated in teens’ everyday lives, it is sometimes seen as a utility and an obligation rather than an exciting new platform that teens can claim as their own,” the report says.
Makes sense. How many website and applications are we seeing that need or want you to log in with your Facebook account.

... that their interest in the network is waning and it’s almost a burden to have a presence on Facebook
Makes me think we're starting to see the dawn/return of a generation that actually realizes that keeping shit to themselves and online privacy are good things.
Old May 23 2013, 07:41 PM   #2
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Re: So are we finally seeing the waning days of Facebook?

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Makes me think we're starting to see the dawn/return of a generation that actually realizes that keeping shit to themselves and online privacy are good things.
I don't understand the appeal of Facebook - never have. I have zero interest in reconnecting with anyone in HS or college - other than the people I already have.

And I don't have any interest what people are having for dinner - when they walk their dog - or what they bought at the grocery store.

For people who, "facebook," all the time - and ask for my non existent account - my answer is - "I don't play that game."

Teenagers are smart to not do it. More and more employers are checking facebook as a way to background check potential new employees and applicants.

Anyone posting their last big party - crazy moment - and may be looking for employment - is an idiot.

Good riddance to facebook IMO
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 07:55 PM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

Facebook, like anything piece of technology, is a tool. Some people know how to use it properly; other people don't. Facebook isn't just about reconnecting with old high school people or posting stupid pictures, and anybody who thinks it is is very uninformed.

A lot of businesses don't even bother having websites anymore; they just use Facebook. I am the Soclal Media and Marketing manager for the brewery where I work, and Facebook is an integral part of my job. I use it daily to keep our fans informed about the goings-on in our business.

But on a personal level, I also use Facebook a lot to speak to people that I otherwise wouldn't. I have used it to reconnect with some old friends, but I also use it as a tool to connect with current friends. Hell, sometimes Facebook is the best way to get a hold of people when they don't answer their phones or respond to texts.

The value of Facebook is all in how you use it.

As for what teens are using more, isn't Instagram owed by Facebook?
Old May 23 2013, 08:13 PM   #4
SeerSGB
Admiral

Also say companies doing Facebook (or any social media) as their only website as putting all their eggs in one basic. The smart move--to my mind, and what I was taught--was to diversify and hit as many outlets as you can afford.
Old May 23 2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Hell, sometimes Facebook is the best way to get a hold of people when they don't answer their phones or respond to texts.
If someone doesn't answer their phones when I call them or return my texts I no longer want to get a hold of them.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Third Nacelle
Captain

The novelty of Facebook wore off for me when I realized that when you lose contact with people, there's usually a good reason.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 08:50 PM   #7
mos6507
Captain

Or when your FB friends, even when they are local, never seem to be available for get-togethers. It becomes more of a way to keep people isolated behind keyboards.
Old May 23 2013, 09:40 PM   #8
RoJoHen
Awesome

Hardly. I use my Facebook to organize get-togethers. It's become a much easier way for me to get ahold of people.

Now, it's possible that I am coming at this from a different perspective than a lot of the world. I was one of the very first people (relatively speaking, anyway) to use Facebook. People still seem to treat it like some kind of fad, but I have been a member of Facebook for nearly a decade.

When Facebook began, it was only available to people at select college campuses, and I just happened to be the exact right age to have access to it. It became a way for me to stay in touch with high school friends. I wasn't re-connecting with long lost acquaintances; I was just keeping up with people that I literally went to high school with the previous year. It became an easy way to see what everybody was up to, and as a result I have retained a lot of friends that I may have otherwise lost.

Aside from actual in-person contact, Facebook is the primary way that I communicate, and the majority of people that I talk to on Facebook are people that I also see regularly in real life.

I'm not saying that everybody should use it, but it really bothers me when people bash it. It's just a communication tool, like your cellphone or email, only it's easier because you don't actually need to bother getting your friends' phone number or email address.
Old May 24 2013, 12:12 AM   #9
Pavonis
Commodore

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Hell, sometimes Facebook is the best way to get a hold of people when they don't answer their phones or respond to texts.
If someone doesn't answer their phones when I call them or return my texts I no longer want to get a hold of them.
There are circumstances where someone has to be contacted, and FB profiles at least don't change every time someone moves.

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Teenagers are smart to not do it.
Are they really being "smart", or are they avoiding it because their parents are on it? If your parents are doing something, isn't it by definition "uncool"?

Good riddance to facebook IMO
With hundreds of millions of users, I don't thnk it will disappear anytime soon. And today's teens may adopt it when they're in their twenties.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 02:51 AM   #10
Third Nacelle
Captain

I don't see Facebook disappearing, or people deleting their profiles en masse. What I do see is Facebook losing its status as the central location of people's online lives. There was a time where I left FB open on a tab much of the day, and ran the FB app on my phone - no longer. I know a lot of people who don't check FB more than a couple times a week.

Facebook is still good for messaging and chat, but its days are numbered as a place to go and waste time. That's what's Tumblr is for.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 08:56 PM   #11
SeerSGB
Admiral

Facebook is going the way of MySpace or is it My__ now? Might take a few more years, but it'll fade to background noise sooner than later.
Old May 24 2013, 09:34 PM   #12
RoJoHen
Awesome

I doubt it. Facebook has permeated the world in a way that MySpace never did.
Old May 25 2013, 01:08 AM   #13
SeerSGB
Admiral

It'll either radically change to keep up revenue and alienate it's audience or it'll go the way of MySpace and Geocities and be surpassed by the next latest and greatest. I say about 10 or 15 more years (at most) and we'll have a large scale walking back of social media. We're already seeing it being less and less important to people.
Old May 25 2013, 07:58 AM   #14
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

It's all a matter in what you make of it and how you use it. It's certainly easy to get information overload out of it, and too much drama, but there are ways to filter that out. I do have an account, but I use it to stay in touch with family since we're all spread out all over the place.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 08:40 PM   #15
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I use Facebook to keep in touch with actual friends, organize events and parties. That's about it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote