Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 24 2013, 09:46 PM   #16
Ood Sigma
Commander

Re: How important is social networking for you?

I don't use Facebook and I never will. It is a great source of humor though.

I have a Twitter account that I've had for 2 years and I have made exactly 0 tweets. I use it as a news aggregation for people and sites that I want to stay up to date on.

LinkedIn is the only network that I have a real account on but it is for professional, business use only. I figure one day if I ever switch jobs it will be useful for me to have kept track of my colleagues and contacts.

For a multitude of reasons, I have no interest in keeping people up-to-date on my life. The people who matter most to me will know the pertinent details any way either by living with me, being at work with me, or telephone/e-mail.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 10:16 PM   #17
Portal
Commander

I'm a trekkie, I have no use for Facebook. Those contests on TV, the lucrative ones, you have to have a Facebook account to enter them and it's just not fair!
Portal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 01:11 AM   #18
SeerSGB
Admiral

I redid my Facebook page a few weeks (months?) ago and radically cut back on contacts and "Friends". Right now, its' only family and people who I follow who I'm actively conversing with. I've got people pushing for me to make a "public" page, and I point out to them "Why? It'd just sit there with nothing being posted on it".

Granted, I do love the drama of "You unfriended me!" when I cut someone that's either constantly sending game requests or spamming up feed with "Like/Share this <insert meme>" spam.
Old May 25 2013, 01:28 AM   #19
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Facebook is part of my life. It allows me to keep an update on certain things like tafe, the convention scene and my family. I sometimes might post a lot, while other times may just read what is going on.

Could I live without ... I don't want to imagine a life without it. But I found a way to be control of what I post. If I don't want someone (or a group) not see an update. Easy to do.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 02:02 AM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I made a facebook account to "like" a local charity I support once since they seemed to think that would help them out... then never touched it again.
Old May 25 2013, 03:10 AM   #21
bbailey861
Admiral

Mocking it not long ago, I am very new to Facebook. On my kids urging, I signed up and have discovered that I now know more about what they are doing than I ever did before.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 03:16 AM   #22
Velocity
Commodore

I opened a FB account just to be able to see my daughter's pictures and friends. I have nothing on mine, and don't post. I'm very private and keep my account private. I am too private a person to enjoy social media. I don't even put out "welcome" matts by my front door because I don't want people to get the wrong idea.
Old May 25 2013, 05:27 AM   #23
Lord Garth
Captain

How important is social networking for you?
Up until a year ago, not very. It was primarily to keep in touch with people I didn't regularly see anymore.

Now: how I do business and make connections is through social networking and depends on it. One connection led to another led to another... All the progress I've made in the past year and the opportunities that have arisen because of it have been through social networking.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 05:39 AM   #24
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

this it for social networking for me, I have nothing to tweet, and no friends or family far enough away that I cant share stupid shit in person
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 04:42 PM   #25
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
On my kids urging, I signed up and have discovered that I now know more about what they are doing than I ever did before.

My godkids wouldn't dream of communicating with me any other way. Actually, one of them doesn't even there. But if I occasionally post something directly to his timeline, he at least condescends to "like" it. Sometimes.

Velocity wrote: View Post
I don't even put out "welcome" matts by my front door because I don't want people to get the wrong idea.
And here I'd thought I was the only one!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 04:53 PM   #26
stj
Rear Admiral

Get off my lawn!

For a moment I thought I accidentally posted in the wrong thread, but on reflection, this works fine.
Old May 25 2013, 05:42 PM   #27
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Linkedin is very useful for professional networking for me and twitter/google+ is a good way for me to track what people in my field are upto but facebook I don't touch.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 05:55 PM   #28
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Get off my lawn!

For a moment I thought I accidentally posted in the wrong thread, but on reflection, this works fine.
Yup.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 06:02 PM   #29
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

This board is as close to "social networking" as I get.

In fact, my ten year old son has taken to asking me "Dad, are you on your Man Facebook again?" I'm not sure where he got that phrase, but I think it's because he sees his mom and sister on Facebook all the time, and assumes TrekBBS is my version of it.

I don't have a Facebook page or twitter account. I'm not on LinkedIn or any of that.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 07:38 PM   #30
freak
Commodore

I'm also a sucker for FB and Twitter, however I don't really post much in either one..I mainly use FB to catch up on long lost friends, who sometimes don't really seem to care if I'm on there one way or another. One of my best friends that moved to FL in 2003 is now married with a son and so she also hangs out with people who have husbands and kids of their own as well and I don't fall into that category sadly. I also catch up on old college friends as well and I like when there is a new post about their status.

As for Twitter, I only use it to find out about my favorite TV shows/actors and what not. I don't post much there either..I just look sometimes to see if there's anything going on with them and love looking at some funny pics of them!