Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 25 2013, 02:20 PM   #31
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: the ceiling of Kirk`s Bridge - transparent?

Albertese wrote: View Post
We actually see the bridge's ceiling in "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Not transparent. I assume the glowy dome is a structure above the ceiling.

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...hasgone035.jpg

--Alex
We actually don't see that far. Anyway, the opening shot of The Cage seem to indicate that is is transparent.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 03:23 PM   #32
blssdwlf
Commodore

YARN wrote: View Post
We've seen at least one transparent dome (Generations).
We've also seen one solid interior ceiling (TMP/TWOK) which is closer in generation to TOS

There is room for interpretation here.
Yes, because we're never shown the entire ceiling from TOS.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 04:23 PM   #33
YARN
Fleet Captain

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
We've also seen one solid interior ceiling (TMP/TWOK) which is closer in generation to TOS
Good point.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 07:58 PM   #34
Donny
Commander

Quick and dirty Sample lighting:

Good study. I'm glad we're having this discussion on the bridge dome. It's something I've always wondered about and have been too afraid to ask. I've seen many "versions" of what the bridge ceiling would look like. Some have gone the transparent route to fit in line with The Cage/The Menagerie, others have taken a more TMP route. I, personally, have always gone with the flatter, wider, lit dome that seems fitting for how much light is spilled around the bridge. I think it's these interpretations that give a needed variation to each of the digital Bridge recreations I've seen in my lifetime. One of those Star Trek mysteries that seems best if it remains a question in our minds and therefore a topic for discussion.

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 10:16 PM   #35
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

blssdwlf,

^^ If the above "quick and dirty sample" is meant in answer to my previous query then I think you misunderstood what I was getting at?

I was suggesting ignoring the uppermost vertical flats altogether by interpreting them as a slightly concave ceiling that arches behind the curving parts just above the lighting alcove that runs around the bridge (and anchoring to it somewhere behind there).

This way, the indirect lighting comes from the gap between the curved ceiling and the curvy parts below, and reflects off the curved ceiling. This shouldn’t create any “hotspots” should it? Because that’s kinda the point of indirect lighting, it would diffuse evenly over the light grey curved ceiling?

Anywho, I know this isn’t exactly what we see in the screencaps above, but I just thought it might look kinda Kewel, and might even work?
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 12:34 PM   #36
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Just a quick thought for whatever it's worth. In trying to determine the function of the lighted Bridge dome (exterior view), I believe we'd also have to determine the function of the lighted dome at the bottom of the saucer's underside.

I can't shake this feeling that both have foremost a position light function, where the outer rim position lights are merely the outer borders of an (otherwise unknown) center in "dark" space.

To go with the assumption it's the same exotic lighting effect we have with the other exterior hull windows would force us to conclude that the Phaser Control Room's floor had to be transparent, wouldn't it?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:10 PM   #37
blssdwlf
Commodore

Not necessarily.

The domes at the top and bottom of the TOS saucer are lit as well as the dome above the shuttlebay. Then again, so is the large sensor/deflector in TMP. Those lit, translucent structures could be sensors or emitters. The "light function" would be a side product.
Old May 26 2013, 06:24 PM   #38
blssdwlf
Commodore

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
blssdwlf,

^^ If the above "quick and dirty sample" is meant in answer to my previous query then I think you misunderstood what I was getting at?

I was suggesting ignoring the uppermost vertical flats altogether by interpreting them as a slightly concave ceiling that arches behind the curving parts just above the lighting alcove that runs around the bridge (and anchoring to it somewhere behind there).

This way, the indirect lighting comes from the gap between the curved ceiling and the curvy parts below, and reflects off the curved ceiling. This shouldn’t create any “hotspots” should it? Because that’s kinda the point of indirect lighting, it would diffuse evenly over the light grey curved ceiling?

Anywho, I know this isn’t exactly what we see in the screencaps above, but I just thought it might look kinda Kewel, and might even work?
@TIN_MAN - Here is another quick study. Built the way you described it with the light coming from the gap between the curvy part and concave ceiling. Still hotspots because the light's earliest bounce near the light source is the most energetic. The room is also a bit darker as well. I could move the light source more up and closer to the gap opening but that would result in a far stronger hotspot (like Sample 1). It's a neat effect but it would result in a differently lit ceiling than what we've been shown.

Old May 26 2013, 11:22 PM   #39
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Well, thanks for trying anyway.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 01:49 AM   #40
xvicente
Commander

Just for the record, I am making it transparent in my model. Never thought of that as so, but I think it is cool.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 06:45 PM   #41
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Good point.
Agree.

The Galaxy Class must have the transparent aluminum that Scotty discussed and used in STIV:TVH.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:13 PM   #42
Mytran
Fleet Captain

The why did it break like glass in Generations?
Seems like they'd have been better off using some flexible plastic or other "20th century equivalent"
Mytran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:16 PM   #43
xvicente
Commander

Mytran wrote: View Post
Seems like they'd have been better off using some flexible plastic or other "20th century equivalent"
Everytime, every f*** time someone mentions Generations it's about something bad in that movie. Either it's Troi piloting the ship, or a Klingon Bird of Prey shouldnt be able to destroy a Galaxy ship, the Nexus don't make sense, the special effects were recycled, Kirk's death was lame, Soran was lame, the Klingon women were lame, the Enterprise-B was lame, Picard cried like a schoolgirl or some other bantha poodoo like that.

Generations never happened. It's Star Trek's "The Star Wars Holiday Special".

I heartly agree with that RedLetterMedia guy from youtube.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 01:53 AM   #44
Albertese
Commodore

xvicente wrote: View Post
Mytran wrote: View Post
Everytime, every f*** time someone mentions Generations it's about something bad in that movie. Either it's Troi piloting the ship, or a Klingon Bird of Prey shouldnt be able to destroy a Galaxy ship, the Nexus don't make sense, the special effects were recycled, Kirk's death was lame, Soran was lame, the Klingon women were lame, the Enterprise-B was lame, Picard cried like a schoolgirl or some other bantha poodoo like that.

Generations never happened. It's Star Trek's "The Star Wars Holiday Special".

I heartly agree with that RedLetterMedia guy from youtube.
Yeah, but at least we can still rant about it.

--Alex
Old June 4 2013, 02:10 AM   #45
Donny
Commander

Ha. I, for one, liked Generations.

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote