RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,359
Posts: 5,503,395
Members: 25,122
Currently online: 690
Newest member: Carach

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

 
 
Thread Tools
Old May 14 2013, 12:54 PM   #16
AJ86
Captain
 
AJ86's Avatar
 
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

And it everyone would have played happy families and it would have been boring as hell.
AJ86 is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 04:45 PM   #17
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
An SG-1 style show would be the best bet, since that's what proved to be successful.
Atlantis was successful.

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
O'Neill or Sheppard would have held the whole gang together like pros, and Carter or McKay would have repaired the ship and searched for a way back like pros, and Jackson would have analyzed the database and searched for the bridge and other vital systems like a pro.
And Teal'c/Ronon Dex/Telya Emmagan would have kicked enemy **** like a pro.
Yup.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 06:15 PM   #18
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

Indeed.

AJ86 wrote: View Post
And it everyone would have played happy families and it would have been boring as hell.
Not at all. A show doesn't get boring just because people are NOT unprofessional, incompetent dicks.
JarodRussell is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 08:28 PM   #19
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
AJ86 wrote: View Post
And it everyone would have played happy families and it would have been boring as hell.
Not at all. A show doesn't get boring just because people are NOT unprofessional, incompetent dicks.
In fact, having well adjusted protagonists who generally get along makes it easier for you to like and therefore care about them, which enhances the drama. Having a cast full of people who argue about everything all the time just results in wishing most of the characters would die.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline  
Old May 25 2013, 02:22 AM   #20
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
An SG-1 style show would be the best bet, since that's what proved to be successful.
Atlantis was successful.
SG-1 is the more popular one.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is online now  
Old May 25 2013, 02:59 AM   #21
AJ86
Captain
 
AJ86's Avatar
 
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Not at all. A show doesn't get boring just because people are NOT unprofessional, incompetent dicks.
Straw man argument. The characters never behaved like "incompetent dicks", they behaved like human beings do. The square-jawed heroes of SG-1 are cartoon characters by contrast, they do not belong in any sort of serious character drama because they do not represent what it is to be human. There are no archetypical villains in the show for them to bounce off and no internal conflict or intriguing adult relationships likely to develop between them, so what would they actually do? Fly around gathering food and supplies? Riveting stuff.


bullethead wrote: View Post
In fact, having well adjusted protagonists who generally get along makes it easier for you to like and therefore care about them, which enhances the drama.
Like The Walking Dead? Like The Wire? Well adjusted "likeable" protagonists are for pop-corn episodics, the comfort food of weekly TV, not for serious sci-fi character dramas seeking to explore the human condition.

Last edited by AJ86; May 25 2013 at 01:02 PM.
AJ86 is offline  
Old May 25 2013, 09:39 AM   #22
DrunkUncle
Ensign
 
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Atlantis was successful.
In terms of ratings? Yes, probably. In terms of creativity? No way.
DrunkUncle is offline  
Old May 25 2013, 05:09 PM   #23
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

AJ86 wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Not at all. A show doesn't get boring just because people are NOT unprofessional, incompetent dicks.
Straw man argument. The characters never behaved like "incompetent dicks", they behaved like human beings do. The square-jawed heroes of SG-1 are cartoon characters by contrast, they do not belong in any sort of serious character drama because they do not represent what it is to be human. There are no archetypical villains in the show for them to bounce off and no internal conflict or intriguing adult relationships likely to develop between them, so what would they actually do? Fly around gathering food and supplies? Riveting stuff.


bullethead wrote: View Post
In fact, having well adjusted protagonists who generally get along makes it easier for you to like and therefore care about them, which enhances the drama.
Like The Walking Dead? Like The Wire? Well adjusted "likeable" protagonists are for pop-corn episodics, the comfort food of weekly TV, not for serious sci-fi character dramas seeking to explore the human condition.
Sounds like "Apollo 13" didn't give you anything.
JarodRussell is offline  
Old May 27 2013, 06:20 PM   #24
Zungen
Ensign
 
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

If they do a reboot they should call it SG-2, and basically be SG-1 all over again but through the eyes of another team, or do a series where Stargate goes public or a series based on the ancients :P
Zungen is offline  
Old May 27 2013, 09:40 PM   #25
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

I would like to see a Stargate show about the Ancients themselves. That could be interesting and fun.
JarodRussell is offline  
Old May 27 2013, 10:19 PM   #26
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander
 
Halmirdax's Avatar
 
Location: Studio
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
O'Neill or Sheppard would have held the whole gang together like pros, and Carter or McKay would have repaired the ship and searched for a way back like pros, and Jackson would have analyzed the database and searched for the bridge and other vital systems like a pro.
And Teal'c/Ronon Dex/Telya Emmagan would have kicked enemy **** like a pro.
They were all pros, I think the characters really made it. Especially the SG1 characters. Though I liked some of the Atlantis additions and am yet to see SGU.
If a new series were in the works it would have to be as strong in writing its characters, let alone plot. It was always about these crazy funny/serious people. - I for one would probably enjoy a new series if they got it right but there is a lot to go back and watch so I'm not complaining that there hasn't been another reboot yet.
Halmirdax is offline  
Old May 27 2013, 10:44 PM   #27
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
An SG-1 style show would be the best bet, since that's what proved to be successful.
Atlantis was successful.
SG-1 is the more popular one.
Not ratings-wise, but it ran for 10 years and got the best overall effort out of its writing team. I can't argue with that.

DrunkUncle wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Atlantis was successful.
In terms of ratings? Yes, probably. In terms of creativity? No way.
That's because they started recycling SG-1 plots, villains included.

The reason why the first season had the best ratings of any season of Stargate is because they put their creativity into creating something different and new, but still somewhat familiar. Too bad that didn't last. It still had a successful run, though.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline  
Old May 27 2013, 11:02 PM   #28
Relayer1
Rear Admiral
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

No idea what would sell - I liked Universe, but the ratings were obviously low.

When (they can't leave a franchise idle for ever - they want to get some income from it) there is a new show, I have a nasty feeling it will be as a reboot.

If it isn't a reboot they really should draw on both SG-1 and Atlantis for background and guest appearances, and I'm pretty sure any new show would tie into and resolve the Universe story.
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline  
Old May 28 2013, 10:50 AM   #29
AJ86
Captain
 
AJ86's Avatar
 
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I would like to see a Stargate show about the Ancients themselves. That could be interesting and fun.
I think it would be for us fans, but I can't imagine that a show like that would sell very well.
AJ86 is offline  
Old May 28 2013, 01:53 PM   #30
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: If it's should that be another stargate series

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post

Atlantis was successful.
SG-1 is the more popular one.
Not ratings-wise, but it ran for 10 years and got the best overall effort out of its writing team. I can't argue with that.
It's also the most recognizable show among non-fans. Say "Stargate" to someone who isn't really into sci-fi and they're likely to say "that space show with MacGuyver and that black guy with the thing on his forehead."
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is online now  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.