Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old April 18 2013, 04:20 PM   #16
Redfern
Commodore

Re: Robert Englan'ds STAR TREK: YEAR FIVE CGI with original cast voice

Futurama's Zap Brannigan or Zap Bannigan the TrekBBS forum member?

(Just kiddin', Zap. You know we love ya'!)

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 12:19 AM   #17
Redfern
Commodore

Finally got to see it now that I'm home.

I recognize a fair number of the models used. The bridge and phasers, possibly the communicators and tricorders look like the meshes available at Excalibur Productions. The engineering section and maybe aux' control by ALT1701. Chekov and Scott look like they were derived from the "James" mesh supplied with Poser since version 6. Uhura and Spock seem to be created with morphs by Mylochka (or variations thereof) applied to DAZ's Victoria 3 and Michael 3 respectively. I will admit that Kirk, McCoy and Sulu stump me. The alien may have been a substantially modified DAZ "Creeper", but I could well be flat out wrong.

The animation tools? I have no solid idea. I will say with confidence that neither Poser nor DAZ Studio could have created that volumetric "cloud" the ship encountered. Oh, I think the Enterprise may be Vektor's Constitution given we saw 8 impulse ports instead of the usual two.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old April 27 2013, 08:56 PM   #18
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Very cool, the facial expressions were off and I didn't like Spock's giraffe neck but I think it's fantastic.

Heh, future fanwank CGI project: put the Animated series on the JJPrise and update it, voices and all, make the fanboi's heads explode!
Old April 28 2013, 05:24 AM   #19
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

What's with the 3D model of Kirk's hair? looks like he's got a Tribble there.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 05:42 PM   #20
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
What's with the 3D model of Kirk's hair? looks like he's got a Tribble there.
Just like in real-life!

Old May 14 2013, 01:09 AM   #21
3D-Freemason
Ensign

I Animated the entire thing in 3DS MAX.
Most of the Complaints here have been mentioned in the YouTube comments section and I have uploaded updates to show what changes are in the works. Body volume issues have been addressed by using dynamic cloth simulation for the shirts.

I used: 'Character Design Software' to help design a few of my 'Characters',,.. What's the problem with that? I've rarely seen anyone do more with these (base) characters than I have. Kirk is James base too (high-rez version)..
BTW - I used no-one's 'morph targets' on anything. I sat for weeks and months on end looking at reference material of their faces and slowly carving my best attempt of each character.

I finally got to see it now that I'm home.

I recognize a fair number of the models used. The bridge and phasers, possibly the communicators and tricorders look like the meshes available at Excalibur Productions. The engineering section and maybe aux' control by ALT1701. Chekov and Scott look like they were derived from the "James" mesh supplied with Poser since version 6. Uhura and Spock seem to be created with morphs by Mylochka (or variations thereof) applied to DAZ's Victoria 3 and Michael 3 respectively. I will admit that Kirk, McCoy and Sulu stump me. The alien may have been a substantially modified DAZ "Creeper", but I could well be flat out wrong.

The animation tools? I have no solid idea. I will say with confidence that neither Poser nor DAZ Studio could have created that volumetric "cloud" the ship encountered. Oh, I think the Enterprise may be Vektor's Constitution given we saw 8 impulse ports instead of the usual two.

Sincerely,

Bill

Last edited by 3D-Freemason; May 14 2013 at 12:52 PM.
3D-Freemason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 02:08 AM   #22
3D-Freemason
Ensign

Maurice wrote: View Post
While this is interesting there's a real misinterpretation of the material because audio processed to come over the intercoms or communicators in played over shots with the characters in them and vice versa, which is really distracting.
''a real misinterpretation?''
Static shots of characters 'listening to intercoms' would probably prompt the opposite comment from many a fickle & unappreciative fan.

Last edited by 3D-Freemason; May 14 2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: I wasn't expecting such an insulting reception, hard to find the right words to say. (without swearing I mean)
Old May 14 2013, 02:45 AM   #23
3D-Freemason
Ensign

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Way better than anything I could make so I'm not complaining.
Thank You.
I did it all on a single machine.

In a perfect world I'd have at least 2 computers (LOL) and more than just 'Spare Time' to do all this.

Last edited by 3D-Freemason; May 14 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old May 14 2013, 04:52 PM   #24
Redfern
Commodore

I fear there has been some misintrepretation of intent.

I merely tried to guess what you may have employed to create the final product. If I was wrong in my guesses, then obviously my eye is not as keen as I thought. There's no "law" that forbids the use of pre-existing content unless that's a peronal philosophy you chose to impose upon yourself. If everything was from "scratch", well, all the more power to you. I just thought I recognized elements and I thought I'd try to guess what they might be.

I take it that YouTube commenters have been generally insulting? Sadly, that seems to be the state of things there. Some have taken the MST3K "riffing" philosophy to a very cruel degree. Someone can't even post a clip of a kitten producing a funny "meow" without some schmuck screaming "animal cruelty!" or similar idiocy. It's enough to make anyone suspicious of any feedback.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old May 15 2013, 04:33 AM   #25
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Whatever You Tube is saying, this is one of the upcoming Fan Films (or series) I most hope succeed. What you have released is remarkable and I hope for more to come!
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:13 AM   #26
3D-Freemason
Ensign

Redfern wrote: View Post
I fear there has been some misintrepretation of intent.

I merely tried to guess what you may have employed to create the final product. If I was wrong in my guesses, then obviously my eye is not as keen as I thought. There's no "law" that forbids the use of pre-existing content unless that's a peronal philosophy you chose to impose upon yourself. If everything was from "scratch", well, all the more power to you. I just thought I recognized elements and I thought I'd try to guess what they might be.

I take it that YouTube commenters have been generally insulting? Sadly, that seems to be the state of things there. Some have taken the MST3K "riffing" philosophy to a very cruel degree. Someone can't even post a clip of a kitten producing a funny "meow" without some schmuck screaming "animal cruelty!" or similar idiocy. It's enough to make anyone suspicious of any feedback.

Sincerely,

Bill
Nice, I've never been happier to have been mistaken! I looked at other comments by you and I'm like "This guy is clearly balanced and well liked, what did I do??" > LOLOL <
I do plan on Thanking Mylochka (and a couple others in the 3D Trek community) in my final End Credits for both inspiration and idea sourcing that led me to optimized solutions (like Uhura's opacity mapped hair). However I generally re-make things I need with my own mesh, textures etc. if for no other reason than to try to up the quality of the end result a bit.
Also my original bridge (mesh) will be credited to ''B.J. West" (although I spent many weeks giving it Animated Textures and Soft Shadows, etc).
I consider myself first and foremost, an Animator and Visual FX Artist. Modelling is not one of my favorite things to be sure, I'd rather be trying to breathe life into something! Although I welcome you to check out the small update I posted to show new walk cycle work (I know,.. whew...!) and the new Sickbay Set Lab etc. (which I plan to donate to the Trek mesh community in due course):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svuHr300KxI

(although I rendered the above before creating the new dynamically simulated Cloth Shirts I now have on the Characters.) In this clip (below) is the new Cloth and a funny little dialog interaction (I 'made') that the actors themselves would Never remember having! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4osKZXiuPDg

We see a lot coming up,
There is an inter-dimensional away mission at the end of this episode! Kirk goes a little insane due to a very unusual environmental property! (that's what the audio in the clip above is from, an extended sequence in which... oops... No spoilers! )

I'm doing my darndest but now that I'm backing up with animated scenes completed, but no machines 'just for rendering', it's frustratingly slow going... I'm considering a KickStart campaign, either for just this episode, or all 16 that I have planned (plus the 3-4 additional 'Alternate Universe/Reboot episodes I now have the source material for...)

Thanks Bill!
Old May 15 2013, 11:35 AM   #27
3D-Freemason
Ensign

Barbreader wrote: View Post
Whatever You Tube is saying, this is one of the upcoming Fan Films (or series) I most hope succeed. What you have released is remarkable and I hope for more to come!
Thank you! It is very inspiring to hear that. While i'm proud of what I have created, I am making a lot of good changes to the look to address obvious problems like the body volume issue and walking animation. (see the clips I pasted into message to Bill above).

I'm considering doing a KickStart campaign either to complete just this episode or for the entire 16 Episodes I have planned (plus 3-4 'Alternate Universe/'re-boot-Re-Boot' episodes I have the source material for).

My plan is to touch up part One (basically the first 15mins. of the first 45-minute episode) then use that to make the 'KickStart' happen. Any ideas or constructive comments you or the Trek BBS community have will be most welcome. Whether to attempt to fund just "Beyond Antares", then use that full episode, to fund the other 15(or as many as 19) after? Hard to decide..

At any rate, I plan to use whatever I can pull together:
to buy equipment, hire additional Animators and pop these episodes out as quickly and as high quality as possible.
>>> I would Love to up the quality exponentially and go Photo-realistic with sub-surface scattering of light and Renderman renders etc. If that ever becomes possible, that will become the plan! ;~)

Thank You again for your support!

Robert@StarFleet.com
Old May 15 2013, 02:50 PM   #28
3D-Freemason
Ensign

For those interested This is a link to the first 10 minutes of this project I have re-created as a True Stereoscopic SBS 3D HD clip. (especially if you have an EVO 3D phone or Nvidia 3D-Vision. Not as good with Red/Blue glasses)
With NO Depth of Field and slightly different 3D 'friendly' camera angles this is my experimental exploration of the possibility of making my project fully 3D or at least making a 3D 'version' of each episode, as most things seem come out in both formats these days. The separation varies a considerably as I was testing what works with what and why,,..
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sleY7hmsYOY

Robert@Starfleet.com

Last edited by 3D-Freemason; May 15 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old May 25 2013, 01:20 AM   #29
TJinPgh
Captain

I haven't seen all of it yet but, based on the first few minutes I think you've done a great job.

I've wondered for a while if we would ever get to the point where we could take audio samples from things done years ago and create all new projects with it through CGI.

Naturally, these characters as you've created them aren't "lifelike" in that there's no mistaking that they're computer animation. Still, I think it's a great first step toward the future for something like that.

Keep up the good work.
TJinPgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2014, 04:00 AM   #30
JT Perfecthair
Lieutenant

Just bringing back an old thread, there is an update to Beyond Antares with more added:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCD9tgWeZYQ
JT Perfecthair is offline   Reply With Quote