Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 24 2013, 07:32 AM   #16
2Heavy4U
Cadet

Re: Star Trek: TNG film era reboot?

The timeline has been altered/reset in such a profound way that the familiar characters from TNG should not even exist 80-100 years later after the time of new Kirk. Granting a generous exception to how new Kirk and crew still formed the Enterprise crew (again!) in the new timeline, any writer who gives life to Picard and familiar crew within the Abramsverse in the 24th century has clearly not thought this through. The human populace will turn out to be very different in the 24th century than what originally existed in the Prime universe.
2Heavy4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 07:42 AM   #17
Gov Kodos
Admiral

CommanderRyan wrote: View Post
Depending on your outlook on the J.J. Abram films depends on how good of an idea you think this is I am not saying I want it its more of a what if question since I prefer TNG era over original series era. But what if they eventually do TNG era films following this new storyline they have in the films? I am sure by this point in time if this is even a thought that a new director would be doing these films. Would it be interesting to see new actors in the role of Picard, Riker, Dr. Crusher, Data, Counselor Troi, Geordi, Worf and etc? Hopefully if they did do this in this era of time they would have Klingons more closer to the TNG tv series. So thoughts?
No, I didn't really like them the first time around. A reboot of that era would take far more change for me to care than those who like it would find could make a reasonable reboot. The Crusher family would have to go, Counselor Troi too, or at least the empathic/telepathic abilities would. Riker would be beaten silly until he learned what the chain of command meant. Basically, get rid of most everything that most folks seem to like about the series.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 09:00 AM   #18
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
The man of action part of him work okay in juxtaposition to Picard, but you're right about the captain in training.
Riker wasn't the captain in training, he was the ship's executive officer, its second-in-command. Spock served in the exact same capacity except he also doubled as chief sciences officer.

If anything, TMP & TNG "got it right" by having the XO be a full-time job onto itself, rather than a part-time one shown in TOS.
Problem being, you only have so many minutes in a movie to tell a story. Even in the new films characters are under utilized. By eliminating Riker, you free screen time for other characters.
That's just the frequently called "lazy writing" by fans, or a conscious decision by the writers and producers to give more screentime to one character over another.
\
Old May 24 2013, 12:49 PM   #19
I am not Spock
Commodore

I wouldn't mind JJ and co, or a new creative team, rebooting TNG after they're done with TOS.
Old May 24 2013, 02:50 PM   #20
Gaith
Rear Admiral

There will never be a TNG reboot. The TOS reboot made fiscal and cultural sense in that Kirk is a swaggering cowboy of the sort that appeals to the masses, especially in the alternate timeline that gives a plausible reason for him to be even wilder in his younger years than Kirk Prime.

Picard doesn't have enough attitude to likewise entice the general public. It'd be wiser in the general sense and far more palatable to fans to do another, more badass character in the same era if that era is to be revisited.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 03:28 PM   #21
TheSubCommander
Captain

Having a direct remake of Next Gen doesn't make sense considering the alternate timeline has technology equal to or even better than the TNG era.

Here's a thought: maybe Next Generation literally means the NEXT Generation. And make it a TV series instead of a film series. Like 30 years later, instead of 78. Maybe the 1701 isn't blown up near Genesis, but just decommissioned and the new 1701-A, the Abrams universe equivalent to an Excelsior Class, with a completely new crew that doesn't try to have a Kirk-like character, Spock like character, or Picard, Riker, Data,etc for that matter. I want to see completely new characters, and new races.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 06:55 PM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Stick with TOS.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 08:56 PM   #23
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I think we can't truly rule out a TNG reboot sometime in the future because reruns of the show are still running today in quite a few television markets (I can catch the show several times a week myself). We do have a literal next generation of Trek fans who grew up with TNG rather than TOS. And given how successful the show was during its run, I do think there will come a time in which there may be an audience who is more familiar with Picard and Data than Kirk and Spock. It may not come for awhile, but I do think it'll happen, IMO.
Old May 24 2013, 10:44 PM   #24
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

2Heavy4U wrote: View Post
The timeline has been altered/reset in such a profound way that the familiar characters from TNG should not even exist 80-100 years later after the time of new Kirk. Granting a generous exception to how new Kirk and crew still formed the Enterprise crew (again!) in the new timeline, any writer who gives life to Picard and familiar crew within the Abramsverse in the 24th century has clearly not thought this through. The human populace will turn out to be very different in the 24th century than what originally existed in the Prime universe.
That didn't stop every alternate universe story.

Also, based on Enterprise, Data ought to still exist regardless.

@Gaith

I think if they did have TNG characters show up in the Abrams-verse it'd more or less be the Picard-Data-Worf show.

Which, given the way they established Klingons in Into Darkness as the merciless killers referred to in DS9 Klingon lore, might actually be pretty awesome.

I don't think Picard's personality necessarily keeps him from being interesting to new audiences. His cerebral 'think it out' tendencies can be played against the more impulsive tendencies, only in the context of somebody Kirk does not have authority over and has to work together with as equals. Also Picard used to be more like Kirk, so he would be naturally annoyed at somebody who has all the personality characteristics he sees in his former self he's not proud of.

A young Picard/Data/Worf coming back in time might make a damn good movie.

Last edited by JirinPanthosa; May 24 2013 at 10:55 PM.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 12:18 AM   #25
I am not Spock
Commodore

Since I like to think of these films as a total reboot, set in another universe, there's no reason Picard can't show up in the next movie, and clash with Kirk. He can clash with Kirk's more cowboy diplomacy style
Old May 25 2013, 12:54 AM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Since I like to think of these films as a total reboot, set in another universe, there's no reason Picard can't show up in the next movie, and clash with Kirk. He can clash with Kirk's more cowboy diplomacy style
Did we learn nothing from the last time we had Kirk and Picard in the same movie?
Old May 25 2013, 01:04 AM   #27
Belz...
Fleet Captain

TNG-era ? Why not ? But not before we get a new Reboot TOS series and a few other movies. Let's wait in 2022-23.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 02:25 AM   #28
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Why does everything have to endlessly be rebooted/remade/reimagined? Aren't there any good NEW ideas out there?

Personally, I would not want to see TNG remade. It never translated well from TV to film, and I don't believe a new cast could change that. As a television series, I think it was done right the first time and don't see how a remake could possibly improve upon it.

It was great, now it's over. Leave it alone.
Well said. I'd love to see something original instead of the same thing with a different face like the JJverse seems to be doing.
Old May 25 2013, 04:32 PM   #29
Elder Knight
Captain

If we're talking about establishing -- once again -- a future time line with two separate focal points, I don't like the idea very much.

That situation was forced by the decision to create TNG while the original series crew remained viable in the movies. It did lead to some interesting complications, but it must have constrained the script development.

I don't suspect they'll be able to keep this new cast together for 20+ years, so they'll have to move on with new characters and story lines if the franchise continues. No need to jump ahead a century to do so.
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 10:04 PM   #30
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant

TNG shouldn't be rebooted. It's characters were too old for the "Action Movie" Camp.