Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 7 2013, 09:39 PM   #151
Iamnotspock
Captain

Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
Was that line actually written or did Eccleston just ad-lib it on set? I agree that if RTD meant what he said that it was the Ninth Doctor that fought the Time War wouldn't make sense if he wrote that line. But it's possible Eccleston thought it up on the spot and it was kept in because everyone else liked it.
Even if RTD did intend that the Ninth Doctor had fought the time war initially, it seems that by "Journey's End" he had changed his mind, given the talk about how the Ninth Doctor had been "born in battle, full of blood and anger and revenge" like 10.5.
True, not to mention BBC tie-in material does suggest the Eighth Doctor was the one that fought the Time War.

Still, the question of whether the line implying a recent regeneration in Rose was actually written by RTD or ad-libbed by Eccleston is a legitimate one all the same. If for no other reason than simple curiosity.
That moment struck me as being a reference to the similar one in Tom Baker's debut story, Robot, so it's either a coincidence or more likely it was scripted.

The line about the 9th Doctor being born in battle could mean he regenerated at any point during the war, really, so it could've been both the 8th and 9th Doctors who fought, with a regeneration happening halfway through.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 09:44 PM   #152
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^Possible, but you'd think the final act of the Time War which results in the erradication of the Time Lords of and Daleks would not have left the Doctor unscathed.
Old May 11 2013, 06:45 PM   #153
publiusr
Commodore

Maybe something like this was used
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Temporal_shield
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Krenim_weapon_ship

The combination of the two would actually allow responsible time travel. Send something like Kilm people/probes back in time to rescue a few dinosarurs and early mammals.

Now wait, you say--we might take the early mammal that evolved into us.
The solution, take the mammals scan when the probe returns--protect the data in a shield, and hit the probe with the weapon ships beam. Time line restored, and the info is still there.

Something similar is how the Doctor escaped--but he is forever locked out...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:59 PM   #154
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Why do I get the feeling this special is going to generate a lot of canon vs fanon debates?
Despite my initial misgivings, I think with the little we now know so far, it just about gets away with it.
Old May 24 2013, 06:21 PM   #155
diankra
Commodore

Posting this here as it's about BBc politics and bureaucracy, so this seems like the best place...
The BBC announced today that it is to close its Digital Media Initiative (DMI). http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...nitiative.html

Relevance to us is that the BBC budget had been drawn up on the assumption that this would succeed, and deliver substantial savings. So there's going to be a hole in the budget for the next few years which will probably have to be filled with cuts in budgets across the board. Oh dear.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 08:45 PM   #156
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

diankra wrote: View Post
Posting this here as it's about BBc politics and bureaucracy, so this seems like the best place...
The BBC announced today that it is to close its Digital Media Initiative (DMI). http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...nitiative.html

Relevance to us is that the BBC budget had been drawn up on the assumption that this would succeed, and deliver substantial savings. So there's going to be a hole in the budget for the next few years which will probably have to be filled with cuts in budgets across the board. Oh dear.
It's a waste of money thinking long term.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 08:53 PM   #157
MacLeod
Admiral

Well they could always cut down on the number of Eastenders episodes per week in order to save money.

Never happen I know.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 08:57 PM   #158
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well they could always cut down on the number of Eastenders episodes per week in order to save money.

Never happen I know.
Wouldn't save money. It would cost them more to get more shows up and running to fill those gaps in the schedule.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 09:11 PM   #159
diankra
Commodore

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post

Never happen I know.
Wouldn't save money. It would cost them more to get more shows up and running to fill those gaps in the schedule.
Yep. Once a standing-set soap is up and running, it's far cheaper than any alternative.. at least any drama alternative.
Of course, it costs a lot up front to start it in the first place, but they did that for EastEnders back in 1985. Ummh, wonder if they had to make any cuts elsewhere in the drama budget that year? Nothing comes to mind, but I'm sure there was something that got dropped...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote