CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 24 2013, 05:17 PM   #76
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins]

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Eh, no, please. I can't stand the Borg anymore. I've been Borg'd to death. I'd like to see either a completely new antagonist, or a mysterious "thing" that must be explored to be understood. Either way, no Borg. Please.
The Borg were so cool until the cliffhanger of Best of Both Worlds. Then they became progressively stupider.

I'm torn on this issue. On the one hand I want new stuff, not retreading old ground, but on the other, IF they do it correctly and the Borg were done right, I could like it.

starburst wrote: View Post
For Star Trek 3 I would like to see the crew exploring the frontier, visiting a strange new world.
I wish. I wish we'd have a movie without a villain, for once. You don't need a villain to make a good story. The only Trek movies without a villain are TMP and TVH.

I could be sold on the Doomsday Machine, however. Maybe we could meet Commodore Decker again.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Despite the ending to STID, I think it will all boil down to another bad guy who wants to attack Earth again. They do want to have Earth be the stomping ground for "their" Star Trek after all.

I do admit that they spend a whole lot of time near Earth recently, but then look at the movies:

TMP: Earth threatened
TWOK: Starts at Earth
TSFS: They go back to Earth, then back to Genesis
TVH: Earth threatened
TFF: Starts at Earth
TUC: Starts at Earth
FC: Earth threatened
NEM: Shinzon plans to destroy Earth
ST09: Earth threatened
ID: Earth Threatened

Only Generations (minus the 1701-B bit) and Insurrection have nothing to do with Earth. It's a slightly annoying pattern considering how little we see the homeworld in the series.
Old May 24 2013, 05:23 PM   #77
Flake
Commodore

Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Assuming we have the same writers I think the next movie will feature the opening act being the Enterprise exploring a strange new world and completing a mission, similar to the opening of STID.

After the opening act we will see some big Klingon shit going down against some key Federation target, a space station or fleet battle.

The Enterprise is then despatched to help because fortunately it was on its way back to the core of the Federation anyway for some repairs.

During the course of the movie we find Khan is assisting the Klingons after being broken out of his 'prison' at some point because the Klingons want his help to capture the Genesis device or something. The Klingon dude will be called Kruge or Chang. The Enterprise will be destroyed using its self destruct sequence at some point.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:31 PM   #78
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I was wondering in the first movie what the hell the bulk of Federation fleet was doing in the Laurentian system. That was never explained.
Old May 24 2013, 06:13 PM   #79
Norsehound
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Probably staring down the Klinks? Not sure if it could be the Romulans since we know nothing about the Romulans in this timeframe other than they got a hold of some Narada technology.

One of the novels did have a borg-esque antagonist killing people, taking samples, talking about species xyz123 and talking of "assimilation", ultimately being a cloud of nanites. I found myself groaning.

I want to see them re-treading old ground from the original series because, again, It feels like all that was abandoned when next generation came out. I want the Tholians and Gorn back as main antagonists alongside the Romulans and Klingons. I want to see new takes on some of the bizarre aliens and things seen in the original (The Talosians, the Vians, the Doomsday machine, The lights from Zetar, the Horta, Nomad, and so on).

Alice Eve mentioned Charlie X, but I'm not sure if I would want to see that. Mostly because I'd rather see them doing other things.

I think one of the motives of the next movie would be the consequences of the destruction of Vulcan? It was something left hanging. My guess though would be on going back to the impending conflict with the Klingons, since it's going to happen whether Starfleet prepares for it or not.
Norsehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 06:29 PM   #80
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins]

Belz... wrote: View Post
You don't need a villain to make a good story.
You pretty much do, to make a summer blockbuster.

They can launch into a war between the Feds and the Klingons, and have them forced to join forces to repel the Borg. Why not?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 07:19 PM   #81
CorporalClegg
Admiral

^
Borg Tribbles a must.
Old May 24 2013, 07:26 PM   #82
sj4iy
Commander

Spock and Kirk quit Starfleet to start a joint cupcake business. There will be many scenes with them throwing flour at each other while giggling and you won't believe the stand mixer pranks! Hilarity will abound! Tension rises when Khan moves to town with his "super secret choco-latta" recipe, and only the Enterprise's former crew can save them at the Intergalactic cupcake competition, when Scottie reveals his masterpiece- The Haggis Cupcake! Come for the thrills, the spills, the excitement, and the drama in "Star Trek: The Undiscovered Recipe".
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 07:45 PM   #83
starbuck
Commander

How about mirror mirror Evil kirk and crew fighting the crew of nutrek , Kirk vs kirk ,enterprise fighting enterprise .Or they could create a new race new story one we never seen in tos but heard of ?
starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 08:05 PM   #84
sj4iy
Commander

Really, I just want to see what life is like on the New Enterprise. What the quarters look like, the mess hall, etc- which I think we'll see if we get a movie during the 5-year mission.
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 08:08 PM   #85
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Whatever the third movie will be, the bar has been set pretty high by the first two.

Of course they can and will do what they want, but I don't see how they can follow up STID with more phasers, torpedoes, and destruction against the Klingons, Khan redux, or whomever given the openly anti-militarisitic tone of STID. Besides, it's not what Scotty signed up for.

Further, STID ended with Kirk reminding everyone of the purpose of the Enterprise's five year mission and what Starfleet stands for in general.

When we catch up with them again, they'll be somewhere in deep space on that mission, so maybe this will be the "we're explorers" movie. I'd like it if the conflict revolved around something new that's not necessarily flesh and blood, deliberately antagonistic, evil, or has it in for the Federation.

Whatever they're doing, I hope we finally get to see them fully developed and hitting on all cylinders. As well as those actors fill the roles, that would be exciting.
Old May 24 2013, 08:44 PM   #86
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Given the market they're making this for, there really has to be an action sequence every ten to fifteen minutes.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 09:25 PM   #87
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Given the market they're making this for, there really has to be an action sequence every ten to fifteen minutes.
To be sure. I'm not saying remake something like TMP (God, no). The problem is also Cumberbatch was too good (a nice problem, but still). If it's not Khan again, can they come up with someone who can ably follow Cumberbatch's peformance without the "he's no Khan" comparisons? That might also be a reason to think of a more imaginative direction to go in other than Kor or a brilliant mad scientist or a disgruntled captain. But if they can't, I'll take Kirk v. Kor.
Old May 24 2013, 10:25 PM   #88
Dantrek
Ensign

I think I would like to see something original for the next movie. I would like a lighter movie (i.e. Star Trek IV) and not with a heavy villain. I'm not sure we will that again since Abrams has attracted newer fans with constant action. It could have a strong story and action but not the Enterprise blowing up or Earth about to be destroyed.

If they intend to use Trek lore, then have Kirk encounter the Borg. I always wander how Kirk would have handled them. Maybe since Nero's ship had borg tech, the borg detected it and are now heading towards the federation.
Dantrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 10:48 PM   #89
General_Phoenix
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to General_Phoenix Send a message via AIM to General_Phoenix Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to General_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to General_Phoenix

Old May 24 2013, 10:55 PM   #90
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It was a year between the Kronos incident and the end of the movie. If the Klingons hadn't started a war in that time, the incident was likely taken care of through backdoor diplomatic channels.