Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 17 2013, 04:29 AM   #16
sojourner
Admiral

Re: An Elementary theory

So, they seemingly went with the odds on favorite. pretty good episode.
Old May 17 2013, 12:29 PM   #17
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Yes, yes it did. Haven't seen the ep yet, but I'm digging this whole thing. It's the kind of development you'd expect from a Joss Whedon show, and only ups Doherty's 'writing/storytelling cred'.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 09:23 PM   #18
stj
Rear Admiral

The Zero Effect and the Downey movies also opt for Adler being both a criminal and in love (psychopath style of course,) with Holmes. And maybe the BBC version too, but I can't remember that stuff too well. So I can't agree that this is such a novel twist. Having Adler be neither, as in canon, would have been more original by now.

And bending the plot around to keep the population of the series' world small doesn't really seem such a good idea. Presumably Sebastian Moran was sent to New York to give Holmes closure when he caught and killed "Irene's" murderer? Or was Moriarty smart enough to predict that Moran would talk and put Holmes on Moriarty's track? But, how does that set up the whole reapparence of "Irene?"

But Watson's key role in capturing Moriarty was genuinely novel and well done, to strong effect I thought.
Old May 18 2013, 08:37 PM   #19
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

I agree. Watson owning Moriarty was one of my favorite moments of the season finale. It just shows how far she has come from her sober companion days.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:58 PM   #20
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

stj wrote: View Post
The Zero Effect and the Downey movies also opt for Adler being both a criminal and in love (psychopath style of course,) with Holmes.

And Law & Order: Criminal Intent did the same thing, with Nicole Wallace and Robert Goren.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:11 PM   #21
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

After finally getting to watch the final episode, I'm feeling crossed. I really do like Elementary, in fact its my favorite new show of the year. I just felt like this final episode was a let down. I wasn't surprised by the fact that Irene was Moriarty, just the whole endgame seamed forced and rushed. I think I'm agreeing with MLB when I say that L&O:CI Nicole Wallace was way better then how this was played out. l do want to recognize the fact that I think in this episode, Lucy Liu gave the greatest performance of her career. The wordplay between the two actresses, when at the restaurant was fantastic. Her genuine concern for Holmes health and her lead in the investigation, really her best work as an actress.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:28 PM   #22
Relayer1
Commodore

I haven't seen the last one yet, but I'd hope that there's more to it than Irene being Moriarty. There's room for a few twists in season two...
Old May 24 2013, 04:54 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

I'm sure that for a master criminal like Moriarty, being arrested won't be the end of her criminal career. It wouldn't be easy to dismantle her organization. For those who watch Person of Interest, think of Elias. He's been in prison for most of his time on the series, yet is still a significant player. I can easily imagine Moriarty playing a similar role here.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:56 PM   #24
sojourner
Admiral

So, in the finale, Holme's "drug overdose" takes place next to a running shower.

running shower = falling water = water fall and the drug overdose = death.

Get it? get it?
Old May 24 2013, 05:59 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer

^That's a reach-enbach...

Old May 24 2013, 06:01 PM   #26
sojourner
Admiral

But he even faked it. Just like in the books.
Old May 24 2013, 06:52 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

^Okay, I'll grant you that. But I feel that if they'd intended to do a riff on Reichenbach Falls, they wouldn't have been so understated about it.

Old May 24 2013, 08:30 PM   #28
sojourner
Admiral

I thought it was wonderfully understated. It managed to avoid tipping the viewer off to the fake out but still becomes apparent on later thought.