Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.30%
A 161 21.58%
A- 101 13.54%
B+ 82 10.99%
B 58 7.77%
B- 27 3.62%
C+ 40 5.36%
C 38 5.09%
C- 25 3.35%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.83%
Voters: 746. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 24 2013, 12:44 PM   #3571
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Tai wrote: View Post
A fair point. I think it may speak to how intelligent Khan really is. He caught up pretty damn fast in regards to technology
Just like in the original timeline. Khan learns to man the Reliant pretty damn quickly.

At this point the Enterprise shields were still at 100%. The Enterprise was only attacked after it went to warp. The Vengeance knocked the Enterprise out of warp in front of Luna with its barrage of torpedoes. Up until that point the only damage to the Enterprise was the sabotage to the warp core. Kirk even tells Sulu just before he exits the bridge, "Keep those shields up!"
Really ? I was under the impression she was beamed onto the Vengeance _after_ the Enterprise got most of its damage. Carol didn't get to talk to her father until after 1701 dropped out of warp, and the Vengeance was disabled temporarily right after that. And after that Kirk and Khan fly through debris from the battle. I'm kinda confused, here.
Old May 24 2013, 12:56 PM   #3572
Tai
Fleet Captain

Ack. You're correct. I guess I'm a little sleep deprived. Carol was beamed out after shields were down after the Enterprise had been attacked.
Old May 24 2013, 01:57 PM   #3573
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Flake wrote: View Post
TSFS had really great character moments and all the crew got something to do and showed they really cared about each other and Spock. The Enterprise got blown up and McCoy says that great line whilst stood on a mountain watching the ashes of the Enterprise streak across the sky...

Spacedock escape, Kirk vs Kruge in the midst of a disintegrating planet. The Klingons murdering David, Pon Farr!, Self Destruct sequence. Vulcan scenes, the Excelsior, Grissom, BoP. So much was added to the Trek universe. Its great!
I agree its fantastic. The Klingons being well menacing and murderous. The movie had lots of things going for it - love, bravery, sacrifice, mercy, treachery, weird Vulcan rituals, Sarek showing that he actually loved his son for once.
Of course it had its problems. What Star Trek movies didn't?

I'll just comment on two of the following:
Lord Garth wrote: View Post

3. The movie was supposed to show Kirk becoming more mature and growing into an adult. When he's repeatedly punching Khan, he's acting like a 15-year-old. When he constantly turns his head whenever a woman walks by, he's acting like a 14-year-old. When he's having a threesome, it's like a teenage boy's fantasy. I see nothing in the film that shows he became more mature. All I see is a kid who had a bad experience and a rough mission, then made a good speech at the end. He's not an adult. He's still reckless. He's still immature. I don't think this is the type of Captain you want to send out on a five-year mission into the unknown. Is this who the Admiralty wants representing the Federation? The only rationale I can think of is to get Kirk out of the way. It would make more sense to have him in Federation space, thinking outside the box to solve unconventional local problems where he can be of help and they can keep an eye on him.

4. Spock is much too emotional. Spock shouldn't be yelling "KHAAAANNN!!!" and going crazy while fighting him. Spock shouldn't be jealous when Dr. Marcus is assigned as Science Officer and, yes, he was jealous. Spock wouldn't give Pike lip.
In regards to Kirk he saved planet Earth. None of the other bozos in Starfleet did it. None of the other experienced captains stood up the Adm. Marcus and tried to stop Khan or even set up a defense grid around the planet. If someone saved my planet I'd give them a ship if they wanted it.
The admiralty problems with Kirk was the 'breaking' of the PD in the idiot instance where a planet would be destroyed without interference. Like the inhabitants of the planet would be better of dead than seeing a big spaceship rising out of the water. They didn't care about his womanising. They didn't care about it in TOS. They didn't care when Riker did it.

In regards to Spock. I think he gave Pike 'lip' because his loyalty had transferred to Kirk. Perhaps Kirk didn't realise it but Pike did. That was probably one of the reasons Pike didn't want Spock as his 1st officer.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 03:37 PM   #3574
KittyDuran
Lieutenant Commander

5) How does 1 photon torpedo Destroy General Chang's BoP in ST6, but 72 photon torpedoes blowing up INSIDE the Vengeance only "disable its weapons systems"? That thing should have blown to Kingdom Come. I don't really know an elegant way to have fixed this in the script so that the Vengeance could still be piloted to collision course with the surface... Maybe Bones was only able to arm 3-4 of the Warheads in time? Even so, an ordinance explosion of that magnitude within the hull still takes most ships down.
The novel stated that they only armed one torpedo and that Khan had scanned a few but not all of them. So Spock was playing odds that the one torpedo armed would not get scanned. (I might need to re-read the chapter for more specifics).
KittyDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 03:54 PM   #3575
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

How does 1 photon torpedo Destroy General Chang's BoP in ST6, but 72 photon torpedoes blowing up INSIDE the Vengeance only "disable its weapons systems"?
Chang's BoP was hit by at least five torpedoes (the homing torpedo first and then several others when the Enterprise and Excelsior went all Django Unchained on it) before it was completely destroyed, IIRC.

Plus, Chang's BoP is the size of a wart on the ass of the Vengeance, and is designed to be a stealthy lightly armored scout rather than a heavily armed and armored battleship.

Also, the torpedoes did significantly more than just damage the weapons systems. The ship was going down.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:01 PM   #3576
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Don't give us facts--this is Star Trek, dammit.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:04 PM   #3577
ConRefit79
Captain

5) How does 1 photon torpedo Destroy General Chang's BoP in ST6
As was said before, Chang's BOP took 5 or 6. It only took 1 to kill him. I think the single torpedo kill of a BOP you're thinking of is in Generations.

Someone said maybe only one or 2 detonated. But if these use matter/antimatter, which I'm not sure if they ever said they are photon torpedoes, then they should have all gone off if they were armed. If memory serves, the cryo tubes replaced the fuel pod. I don't remember if the warhead was missing to. But even if it was only one, it was inside the unshielded engineering hull where there is a lot of antimatter. That should have destroyed the Vengeance.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:18 PM   #3578
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Throughout the majority of the movie I was giving it an A.

At the Khan reveal it turned into a B (no I didn't know beforehand).

When it turned into TWOK redux it turned into a C.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:45 PM   #3579
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
I think the single torpedo kill of a BOP you're thinking of is in Generations.
I always pretend that what we're seeing in Generations is a bundle of torpedoes fired at once, since I hope Worf didn't catch a case of idiot from Riker and understands that firing a "spread of torpedoes" doesn't mean just firing one really slow and dramatic one.

The Enterprise-D can fire ten(?) torpedoes at once from a single tube and have them attack multiple targets, so maybe it can fire them all in one big bundle as a kind of super warhead too. The glowy spikey ball of death thingamajig seemed bigger than normal, and moved really sluggishly.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:46 PM   #3580
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Agenda wrote: View Post

When did it turn into TWOK redux ?
Old May 24 2013, 06:14 PM   #3581
KittyDuran
Lieutenant Commander

Belz... wrote: View Post

When did it turn into TWOK redux ?
By the order presented I would assume it was when the warp core was not aligned and Kirk went into the chamber.
KittyDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 06:23 PM   #3582
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

A minor thing I enjoyed was that the costumer did a fair recreation of McCoy's blue medical tunic from the series.

Fascinating screen name.

STID quoted a thirty year-old movie. Folks would do well to get over that.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 07:24 PM   #3583
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Play it again, Dennis.
Old May 24 2013, 07:55 PM   #3584
ryng12345
Ensign

Star Trek Into Darkness
My Pros and Cons Review

Pros:

Lots of action and expensive-looking sets. You definitely get to see the best of what Hollywood has to offer.

McCoy, Checkov, Scotty & Uhura are more likeable and have better dialog lines than their original TOS counterparts.

I love how Spock tried to use the Vulcan neck pinch several times as a desperate attempt on an outmatched fight. That's exactly what Spock would've done. The fight scene was well choreographed.

The Spock/Uhura relationship was better defined than in the first movie. Spock's explanation on his emotions in the relationship with Uhura was a brilliant piece of writing and acting.

JJ Abrams made two great Star Trek films without himself being a ST fan. It makes me excited to see how his SW film will turn out, which he is an admitted devoted fan.

Cons:

What's with the awful lighting? Every scene looks like it's missing one of the primary colors. Most of the scenes didn't look right, color-wise.

What's with that boring score? There was no memorable melody in it. It was almost like an orchestra tuning their instruments before dress rehearsal.

The inside of the Enterprise looks like one of those ice house tours, very cold and inhospitable. Whoever designed the set probably was going for sterile and shiny instead of a place where people would want to stay for five years.

That scene where Kirk and Spock touch hands through the glass and say goodbye was so corny and uncharacteristic of two people who have a short history and got on each other's nerves that it made me question JJ Abraham's ability to be trusted with any scenes with strong human interest elements. However, that opening scene in the first movie where Kirk's dad died was done so masterfully that it almost made me cry. What went wrong here?

McCoy said, "I'm not a so-and-so. I'm a doctor" too many times. He probably said it more times in this one movie than he said it in all the TV shows. It would be good if it was done in a clever way and lead to something. But it was merely just overused with no build-up or purpose.

I hate the new transporter effect. Spock Prime changed the timeline which justifies the many alterations in the storyline. But it does not justify that swirling overdone transporter beam. Just because the timeline was slightly changed doesn't mean you could go ahead and change everything in the Universe.

I give it a C (out of ABCDF). But I will definitely be seeing it at least two more times before it leaves the theaters.
ryng12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 07:57 PM   #3585
gottacook
Commander

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
STID quoted a thirty year-old movie.
No, a thirty-ONE-year-old movie as of this weekend. Anyone else here see it on premiere day?
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote